Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.
View Poll Results: Is this product idea a good idea and will it sell?
Heck yes it will sell like crazy
76.19%
Heck NO, who cares about mileage
5.95%
I am not sure
14.29%
Other, please explain in the thread
3.57%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Need Input from EVERYONE!!! Please Look!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:35 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With diesel prices being at an all time high, with no foresite as to any lowering; RVer's, business's and daily drivers will be looking for economy.

With fuel prices being so high, there is almost no incentive to buying a diesel pickup, 'cept for the love of a diesel. Around here gas is running 20 to 30 cents cheaper then diesel. Gas trucks are getting really good mileage nowadays. So why buy a diesel truck that is $6000 more then a comparable gas truck? Business wise, it doesn't make money sense.

BUT, if there are products available to boost your fuel economy (with possible performance gains), the price differences become negotiable.

So yeah, you market a fuel economical product, people will buy it.

Then again, what do I know. All of our fleet is diesel powered. And it always will be.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can tell you that by having 3 of these polls running I have learned a LOT very fast!

The first thing I learned is that we have not done a good job letting the consumer know what our current products are doing and what their capabilities are.

First, let me run some numbers by you.

Here is how the mileage versus cost would break out:

30gal tank at $2.8877/gal = $86.63

At 16mpg this is 480 miles to the tank. A cost of $.18 per mile

At a 10% increase this would net 17.6mpg for a total of 528 miles costing $.16 per mile At this rate the module would pay for itself in 9950 miles.

At 15% increase this would net 18.4mpg for a total of 552 miles costing $.15 per mile

At this rate the module would pay for itself in 6633 miles

At 20% increase this would net 19.2mpg for a total of 576 miles costing $.14 per mile

At this rate the module would pay for itself in 4975 miles.

Now, here are some responses to your thoughts or questions.

I think it would have to be closer to a 20% increase or more because almost every mod Ive bought has "claimed" 1-2 mpg increase, except the injectors of course. Now they don't deliver really but i think it would have to stand out for people to buy it.JMHO
I agree to an extent. What we want to do is be able to advertised Guaranteed results and not over advertise it. The gains are guaranteed or you recieve a full refund. We might even offer and extended satisfaction guarntee time frame than we currently do? Now, if you look at the math, even a 10% gain nets you saving $$$ pretty quickly.

What effect would larger injectors and a Smarty have on the increased mileage? In other words, is the increase based on current mileage or on a stock truck?
This is sort of a trick question. The Smarty is doing some of the things we would do already so you would not get the gain from a Smarty and then again from this. Now, if you had injectors only, you would see a gain over running with just injectors.

Realize that if you have already purchase a Smarty or an XZT+ this product is not for you. This is for someone that has little to no modifications, is scared of upping power and hurting something and just has limited knowledge of the diesel engines. This is an in-expensive, easy to install product that can fit a need now and be upgraded as your knowledge increases or you desire more power.

I think it's a great idea...don't know if it's possible but what I think might sell best would be the ability to "piggyback" it with your other products allowing us the option of going to the economy mode when traveling...
This is a prime example of us not doing a good job at informing everyone what our current products do.

OUr XZT+ box allows what you are asking for already and is already covered by a guarantee that it will perform. Maybe we just are not bold enough to do this?

WIth the XZT+ you already have an economy mode. At anytime you can switch into performance mode and have extra power. This is done via a switch in the cab and you can do it while you are driving.

In the case of the "economy" box there is no reason to piggyback it or buy another part. If you want to add the performance part you just buy an upgrade.

This box does not offer anything that our XZT+ does not already offer except the entry cost into getting a gain in fuel economy.

This sounds EXACTLY like what I want. I'd love to be in economy mode when doing running around or light travel, then be able to bump it up when I'm towing or feeling frisky
This is available for you to have immediately. This is already out, already tested and proven that it works flawlessly.
http://www.quadzillapower.com/products/xzt_plus.html

Not only that it has other fancy features such as a USB port for changing your tuning to suit your driving needs and habits. This is something that is not available on any other plug and play product.

I voted yes, but this assumes many tests to prove validity... Lots of fuel magnets and tornados out there!
Once again, I agree 100%. We have proven it in testing. We have customers that can back it up. At the end of the day that does not matter unless it works in your individual situation. I can guarantee 100% that there will be customers that do not recieve a 10% increase. Who knows why or how? The bottom line is that if it does not work you are covered under a guarantee and you are out only your time. Not to mention you have an extremely low cost of entry to try it.

Unfortunately I could sell $100 bills for $50 and that would also be faulted by some. There is nothing perfect, all we can do is try and offer the best product we can. Worse case scenario you recieve your money back.

I hope this helps clear a few things up for you guys and thanks for the feedback!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:00 PM

It sounds like a great idea, but I think only a small part of the market will be satisfied with just fuel economy. The reason I say this is the large majority of the people on this site want more power out of their truck, that is why they come here. Better fuel economy is just an added bonus to some of the boxes out. I think the majority of the people here would be better suited with the XZT+. Maybe a $50 download for the XZT+ that gives you a kick *** fuel saver mode to go along with everything else. This way they can still have the fuel economy and all the other features of the XZT+ to have fun with.
A stand alone box would be cool for some though, just not sure how many.
But thats just my opinion.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkston
It sounds like a great idea, but I think only a small part of the market will be satisfied with just fuel economy. The reason I say this is the large majority of the people on this site want more power out of their truck, that is why they come here. Better fuel economy is just an added bonus to some of the boxes out. I think the majority of the people here would be better suited with the XZT+. Maybe a $50 download for the XZT+ that gives you a kick *** fuel saver mode to go along with everything else. This way they can still have the fuel economy and all the other features of the XZT+ to have fun with.
A stand alone box would be cool for some though, just not sure how many.
But thats just my opinion.
This may be true? Let me throw this at you though.

You are thinking of doing something and you want to do it in baby steps.

Why not start cheap and add the extra power later if you end up at the same or cheaper price???

The XZT+ does have a kick A$$ fuel mileage mode on it. Just run it in the middle setting. I promise you will see mileage gains. The problem is that you are 1 toggle away from a Kick A$$ running truck and most don't have the self control.

So instead of making everyone buy the more $$$ part why not give the option of a far less expensive part and then upgrade for the same or less money if they want to?

Where is the downside to it? You can do it in a few seconds on your computer. No need to send it back, ever!
Old 08-31-2007, 05:37 PM

First hats off to quad for working hard & caring about second genners to offer new and innovative ideas and products

That said, I have a couple questions:

1) Seems like the XZT+ already offers a great fuel saver mode, would this cheaper entry level stand alone fuel saver product be the exact same map as the XZT+ as run in fuel economy mode?

2) Follow on to (1)...compare the savings in mpg between the XZT+ run in fuel saver mode and the proposed standalone fuel saver product.

3) If one was to buy the fuel saver standalone product and then upgrade later would said individual return his fuel saver standalone product and recieve an XZT+ at a reduced rate or would he get a "kit" package that essentially upgraded his product to an XZT+

4) what would be the entry level price for the standalone fuel saver product?

Thanks again quad...I'm one of those owners who uses their truck as a daily commuter so mpg savings is important for me...however the more I learn the more I am starting to understand that mild power upgrades can also yeild better mpg's by allowing the truck to reach operating speed quicker without "slugging" along thus creating less work for the engine and hence the lower usage of fuel...so in the end like all engineering situations, it is managment of tradeoffs, whereas timing alone will improve mpg in highway situations, timeing plus fueling vis a vis efficiencies in fuel usage (through some well chosen hp increasing upgrades) through more complete burning may improve mixed (town and highway figures).

Any thoughts quad or others?
Old 08-31-2007, 05:44 PM

I've seen alot of guys in RV forums (TT and 5er pullers) who are looking for MPG gains and not necessarily more power. I think alot of people would be interested, just maybe not many people on this sight. Not a very good sampling of people who want MPG gains and not power here. Of course like everything else, it would depend on price.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Sunir
First hats off to quad for working hard & caring about second genners to offer new and innovative ideas and products

That said, I have a couple questions:

1) Seems like the XZT+ already offers a great fuel saver mode, would this cheaper entry level stand alone fuel saver product be the exact same map as the XZT+ as run in fuel economy mode?

2) Follow on to (1)...compare the savings in mpg between the XZT+ run in fuel saver mode and the proposed standalone fuel saver product.

3) If one was to buy the fuel saver standalone product and then upgrade later would said individual return his fuel saver standalone product and recieve an XZT+ at a reduced rate or would he get a "kit" package that essentially upgraded his product to an XZT+

4) what would be the entry level price for the standalone fuel saver product?

Thanks again quad...I'm one of those owners who uses their truck as a daily commuter so mpg savings is important for me...however the more I learn the more I am starting to understand that mild power upgrades can also yeild better mpg's by allowing the truck to reach operating speed quicker without "slugging" along thus creating less work for the engine and hence the lower usage of fuel...so in the end like all engineering situations, it is managment of tradeoffs, whereas timing alone will improve mpg in highway situations, timeing plus fueling vis a vis efficiencies in fuel usage (through some well chosen hp increasing upgrades) through more complete burning may improve mixed (town and highway figures).

Any thoughts quad or others?
1.) The Exact same thing.

2.) It would take exactly twice as many miles to pay for the XZT+.

3.)No need to ever send the product in. You can upgrade it at your computer. The cost of the fuel saver + the upgrade to the XZT+ would be the same or less than a current XZT+ module.

4.) 1/2 the price of an XZT+ module.

There is a lot to efficiency. Like anything else there may be some trucks that do not respond as well as others. WE have a very incredible satisfaction guarantee that goes with it.

The idea is to give a path for those that are scared, worried, or un-educated about performance. This lets them start at the ground and work their way up without paying a huge initiation fee!!!!

For economy it will not harm the truck in anyway shape or form. It actually lowers EGT and will increase performance some.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:49 PM

Quad,
This is great service. It is steps like this that can and will take you above and beyond the competitors. Your custumer service alone should get people to get your products.
I do believe a product like this would be great to have to save some cash over time.

A+ for all above
Old 08-31-2007, 06:55 PM

Qzilla, I think your on to something here-the company as a whole will benefit.. offering different economy and peformance levels is BIG to the new guys... look at---well i won't say the B word on your thread... but i know when i was new a few years back i spent lots of time reading the advertising and finally got sucked in... little off topic i guess sorry
Old 08-31-2007, 07:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Quad, I personally think this is genius. Not necessarily on the technical end, but on the marketing end.

Why?

Well, let's step back and look at the diesel truck market. IN terms of sheer numbers, the hotrodders that tend to congregate around here and other diesel sites represent a tiny (but growing) percentage of diesel truck users.

By far, the majority of diesel trucks are purchased by 1) Farmers/ranchers, and 2) RVers. Now both of these groups tend to be populated by conservative guys-- people that won't turn down more power if it's given to them, but place engine safety and economy above all else.

I think a box like this would sell VERY well at RV rallies and rodeos. The important thing is that guaranteed mileage, and the hassle of a return. A customer has to be able to buy it for a lowish price, then be able to return it hassle-free.

Given the guarantee and your good rep for service, I think a box like this would sell thousands of copies, easily. Think of all the EZs and VAs sold to even relatively conservative folks.

One thing I'd recommend to help with mpg is reinstating some kind of tq mgmt if your other products disable it. Not so much limiting tq output, but rather the rate of RPM gain. The kind of thing that would show a HP loss on a dynojet, but no loss at all on a Mustang.

I hope this makes some kind of sense.

jh
Old 08-31-2007, 08:11 PM

Hey Quad,
If you are thinking of selling a "mileage" only box for half the cost of an XZT+ then allow the buyer to purchase the "power" gains for the other half of the cost of the full XZT+ price, then to me the concept of selling the "power" only half of the box for half the cost of an XZT+ would be a MUCH bigger seller.

I will go out on a limb here and say you would sell more boxes with just the power option as opposed to selling boxes for mileage. I can understand where you would sell more for guys upgrading for power than you would guys looking to add mileage with their power though.

Another thought on your mileage concept, I assume you would have a lock on the box preventing someone from uploading "power" gains from another XZT+ owner to their "mileage only" box.

just some food for thought, and as said above, "thanks for looking out for our interests". BTW, I have an XZT+ box and love it. I leave it on the economy mode most of the time but when I want to play I just flip the switch for a smiling good time. I LOVE the power on the fly option!

-Bill
Old 08-31-2007, 08:39 PM

If I understand this correctly...you'll be selling the same box with different programing options...if that indeed is the case I think you'll reach a much larger customer base, it's a win/win for you and the customer!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:45 AM

This is exactly what I have been looking for.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:04 PM

If this came out before I beta tested the XZT+, I would have went this route instead. I was looking for only a milage increase and since my truck is still under warranty, I didn't want a reason for them to void it.

That being said, after running the XZT+ now, I will NEVER go back .
Old 09-01-2007, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by mudman78
If this came out before I beta tested the XZT+, I would have went this route instead. I was looking for only a milage increase and since my truck is still under warranty, I didn't want a reason for them to void it.

That being said, after running the XZT+ now, I will NEVER go back .
It also didn't hurt that you only had to half for the beta test which would have been the equivalent to buying the mileage only unit huh???

Quick Reply: Need Input from EVERYONE!!! Please Look!