Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need help with Vulcan

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with Vulcan

Alright guys,

My truck has been having some pretty bad tach bounce after just putting it in nuetral after some 1/2 throttle normal driving. So I get the Vulcan kit put in, install went smooth, everything went great. I get in, takes it a few cranks to start, but then it idled better then it ever has. So Im running low on fuel and stop bye a friends house to pick up 10 gallons of bio-diesel. On the way over there I gave it about half throttle and when I got out of it the tach dropped perfect and it idle great. So I put the 10 gallons of bio-diesel in the tank and 1/3 bottle of STP fuel treatment ( just what I had in the toolbox) and left the truck idling during the fill and it idled great. So when I leave I rip through 2 and 3 at WOT, and then the truck almost dies when I get out of it. Now it wont even idle with dieing, I have to pump the pedal to keep it alive. So I got home, did some thinking, checked for leaks, None. So I think maybe its the biodiesel, I head to the store to fill up with 20 gallons of #2, and a whole bottle of STP, (all they had) and still runs like crap.

What the heck is going on, any ideas.

The lift pump is running, I checked that.

Double check connections, drain the tank, any thing.

Dont want to ruin the VP with all this.

Jamie
Old 05-20-2006, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you checked your fuel filter?
Old 05-20-2006, 10:30 AM

I replaced the FF about 8K miles ago, I figured it would be good.

I went out about thirty minutes after the first post, and it took it a second to start then idled fine and ran good. Then I drove it for a second and got on it about 3/4 throttle and it did the same thing. It does way better some times and way way way worse some times.

Could the LP be on its way out, since it having to push much more fuel and it cant handle pumping the extra fuel?
Old 05-20-2006, 11:39 AM

Well, I guess another one bites the dust.

Went and had codes scaned and Ill give you two guesses as to which one it was, but the first one doesnt count.
Thats right, P0216 twice.

Checked the FP and its 13 at idle and 10 at WOT after the Vulcan relacation kit.
Old 05-20-2006, 03:06 PM

what should FP be when the truck is turned off, im having a real problem getting the truck to start again. when i kill the truck FP drops to 0 and when i turn the key over it goes to 2 psi.

could the vulcan kit cause that or is it normal?

Jamie
Old 05-20-2006, 10:49 PM

you will only have fuel pressure as long as the LP is running once that shuts off down goes your FP.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:58 PM

The 0216 codes = dead VP, sorry.

The Vulcan didn't have anything to do with the current problem, in fact it will save you in the future.

As for your fuel filter, if you get some bad fuel/bio it could clog up at anytime.

I would look for some Stanadyne if you are going to run a fuel additive, it was recommended to me by the Service Manager of the dealer that replaced my LP (twice) and VP44 under warrranty.

Hope you get everything squared away.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:22 AM

Does the tack bounce with the engine running smooth, it could be the cam positioning sensor.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:41 AM

The tach reads just exactly how I hear the engine running.

The part I dont understand though is that the truck ran good before the vulcan kit, then when I put the kit in for the first 10 minutes it ran the best it ever had, then i gave it a WOT run through first and second and then it died, which its only done once before, about 5 weeks ago. But I know its not the vulcan kits fault because now I have my FP gauge hooked up and its 13-14 at idle and Im afraid to run it WOT because I dont want to push my truck home or to the shop because I know the VP is on its last leg.

Im going to run the tank of fuel out of it, run a little straight #2 and see how it does then.

Thanks for the input,
Jamie
Old 05-21-2006, 07:54 PM

Have you run the bio-diesel in this truck before? Or had you recently just started? Bio-diesel will break down any gunk in your tank and lines and try to push it thru the system. I would guess a filter with 8,000 miles on it may have accumulated a bit of gunk over that time....
Old 05-22-2006, 12:29 AM

Yeah I have run about 6 gallons of bio about 4 months ago, thats it. I checked the filter, looked good. The truck will hardly idle after I put it in nuetral now sometimes, chugs then revs chugs then revs. Could for some reason if bio is not made right have these effects??

Jamie