Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need Help With Turbo Install Asap!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help With Turbo Install Asap!

well im trying to install my new turbo. htt super stock 62/71/14. The fitting for the oil line looks like its taped at an angle!!!! !!!!!

when i screw the adapter in the back side sits flat and the front side has at least 1/64" gap. i have a feeling that not gona seal so good. am i doing somthing wrong or do i need to call HTT and tell them to send me a @#$$@# @#%@#% &$*&%^%^# @#%#%^ turbo?????????????
Old 11-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just put some pipe dope on the threads & screw it in there. Make sure that you don't get pipe dope inside of the line/fitting.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:34 PM

is that a permanent fix?? or should i still call HTT and tell them were to stick it. Im a machinist and thats BS that they cant even send me a turbo with a hole thats taped streight.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 PM
Banned

I would still call them & get a new housing. That is wierd that they let it get out the shop like that.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Maybe they don't even check
Old 11-21-2007, 10:50 PM

well i put it on with the pipe dope and it looks like it might have a slow leak. but not much at all. i have tomarow off and nothing else to do except put in head studs and watch the packer game so i could not just leave it sit there in the box.

so far i just warmed it up and took it easy not more than 10 psi / 900 degs. now im letting it cool off for 30-45 minutes and then im gona go put the hammer down! so far im very impressed. its just to bad they dont know how to tap a hole
Old 11-21-2007, 10:55 PM

lets hear an outcome tonight! i need a new turbo but havent decided on what to get yet..

Trending Topics

Old 11-21-2007, 11:17 PM

bout 10 more mins of cool down time. i will report back as soon as i get back in the house but i might not make it yet tonight. maybe early tomarow morning. so far up to 10 psi it seems to spool about like stock. it will build a little boost from 1000-1100 rpm on up. it builds more boost at lower rpm them i had expected and it will stay spooled better between shifts. if im at 5-6 psi and shift from 3rd to 4th i will only drop down to 3-4. my stocker would loose all most all boost. so far thats first impression of it. i will report back soon.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:31 PM

that sounds pretty good...is that a towing turbo or race/pulling?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:17 AM

well i just got back from test drive number 1. to me it seems to spool about twice as slow as stock at about 1500 rpm but once it starts to spool then your gone. in between shifts it seems to lose less boost and spool slightly faster than stock. i was trying to limit my boost to about around 38 psi so i cant really comment on over all power. I think this is a proformance/towing turbo. Over all im completely happy with the proformance of the turbo but the over all quility is clearly lackin .

but it seems my truck has some other issues that i will need to address in another thread. some times it has a little shudder to it and a miss at idle well tonight i held it to the boards trough third. spun my tires wildly then kept it down half way through 4th and i had to stop for a stop sing and as soon as i threw in the clutch my engine allmsot died. i had to keep feathering the thorottle just to keep it running. i had to sit at the stop sign for about 10 seconds before it would idle again and it had a real bad miss to it. then i headed streigh home and when i got there and let it drop down to an idle it sounded like it was missing on every single stroke maybe it time to put her up for sale and buy somthing that wont run like crap.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:29 AM

sounds pretty good, except the spooling twice as slow as stock..
Old 11-22-2007, 01:44 AM

The VP44's like to do that after you have ran them hard, and let off abruptly. Probably just a normal finicky VP44
Old 11-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by muddin_mavric
to me it seems to spool about twice as slow as stock at about 1500 rpm but once it starts to spool then your gone. .

The turbo only gets better from here. It will perform better once it loosens up. How are your temps with the 4.5's? I would adjust the wastegate so that it limits you to 45psi, anything over that is out of range & pumping heat into the engine. It feels like my turbo spooled faster & definately lowered my egts @ wot after I adjusted my wastegate. I have 10psi at 1400rpm. I hope you didn't pop a head gasket as I did when I first installed the SS62. Good Luck!
Old 11-22-2007, 08:09 AM

im gona install my head studs today so after a few re torqes then i will crank up the boost. i just gota figure out why it runs like garbage. maybe its time for a new vp44. i know when i bough the truck it had 0 psi of fuel presure. even the wanting to die i might be able to live with but the studder when ever i put the hammer down really sucks. it will even do it with my chip on 0 or stock. when my engine is cold it idles great but the warmer it gets the worse it runs. it had a slight miss at idle with my stock injectores somtimes but when i installed the mach 4.5s it got worse and seems to be getting worse every day.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:34 AM

Hmm hey J are you sure that this turbo becomes inefficiant after 45psi? I was talking to the guy over at Htt and mentioned that my turbo would hit 50psi with ease with the pump turned up and I can tell you I did back it down a bit to 45 because of the heat down low and it feels like I lost power for sure..

Quick Reply: Need Help With Turbo Install Asap!