Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need help!!!, fuel in oil after installing injectors.

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help!!!, fuel in oil after installing injectors.

Just put in my Jammer 3s today, they were complete injectors in a pop tested and balanced set from city diesel.

I took the truck for a test drive and i love the added power but on the way home i noticed my oil pressure was down a bit. Much to my dismay there was fuel mized in with oil on the dipstick!!! I must have tightened down the fuel line nuts too much into the head ? Or Maybe the injectors aren't set enough into the head ? I torqued the 8mm nut that holds down the injectors to 89 inch pounds (from the diesel dynamics injector install instructions) but it didn't seem very tight.

I'm not sure where to start at this point, should i buy new crossover tubes or is it difficult to pull out and inspect them ? should i pull the injectors as well? I don't know if one or all of them are leaking!

Talk about a mod job gone terribly wrong! i don't even know if the local dealer would stock crossover tubes!
Old 01-28-2008, 04:53 AM
Chapter President

When I did my injectors I put a wrench in the slot on top of the injectors and kind of turned them back and forth while pushing on the supply tubes to make sure they were seated in the tapered hole. Probably where you have a problem. Try to retighten your injector lines at the supply tubes and see if you get any movement.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:31 AM

Things to check are your o-rings.... Did you install new orings on the injectors and corss-over tubes...
Old 01-28-2008, 08:43 AM

o-rings on the injectors were new but i didn't touch them on the crossover tubes. I'm going to try and buy a set of tubes and o-rings today and replace them tonight, i have the feeling i tightened the injector lines too hard and buggered a tube.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:06 AM

YIKES! i called the local dealer and the connector tubes are $75 a pop!!! i think i'm going try re-torquing injector hold down bolts and pull out and inspect the crossover tubes...
Old 01-28-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's only 3 ways fuel can get into the oil.
1 is a bad injector spraying too much fuel and its getting past the rings.
2 is a bad o-ring on the injector, the connector tubes have nothing to do with this.
3 is the injection pump input shaft seal, unlikely as you haven't touched this and you just did injectors.

Maybe you nicked one of the big o-rings on the install. The connector tubes have their own o-rings, but thats to keep fuel from leaking out to the outside.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by JD730
There's only 3 ways fuel can get into the oil.
1 is a bad injector spraying too much fuel and its getting past the rings.
2 is a bad o-ring on the injector, the connector tubes have nothing to do with this.
3 is the injection pump input shaft seal, unlikely as you haven't touched this and you just did injectors.

Maybe you nicked one of the big o-rings on the install. The connector tubes have their own o-rings, but thats to keep fuel from leaking out to the outside.
It took quite a bit of force to push the injectors down into the head but i don't think i nicked any o-rings... I took a lot of care to pry the connector tube away while i was pulling and re-installing the injectors. The truck runs fine as well with great idle so i presume i can rule out a bad injector. What about a damaged connector tube? I can't go fix it until i get home from work today so keep the ideas comming!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you damaged a crossover tube, you would definitely have a bad idle. My guess is oring on injector or fuel mixed with oil when you did the work but now no more leak.

Is the oil level increasing? If not, change your oil and see if you still get fuel in the oil.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by sledneck1
What about a damaged connector tube?
It would leak fuel into the return system. Unless you have a restriction in the return line and its letting the pressure build up in there and then it would leak past the o-rings, but they should at least hold a little bit of pressure.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:25 PM

i would change oil and filter run for 100 miles check again might just be left overs from when u changed them ..
Old 01-28-2008, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by jivemother
i would change oil and filter run for 100 miles check again might just be left overs from when u changed them ..
I can't see how fuel would leak into the head while changing injectors, wouldn't it go into the cylinder?
Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by sledneck1
I can't see how fuel would leak into the head while changing injectors, wouldn't it go into the cylinder?
Yup and not that much of it either.

Another question. Did you oil the o-rings on the injector before you installed them?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:49 PM

Couldn't you pull the valve cover off, run the truck, and look for fluid coming out of the injectors? At least you can narrow it down to which one is leaking, so you don't have to pull them all.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tate
Couldn't you pull the valve cover off, run the truck, and look for fluid coming out of the injectors? At least you can narrow it down to which one is leaking, so you don't have to pull them all.
I pulled the valve cover and fired up the engine. I noticed right away the fuel coming out all around the #4 injector. I Pulled it and there it was, a busted o-ring. i replaced the o-ring and pulled all the other connector tubes and injectors to check them out. Everything looked fine so i put it all back together carefully and made sure to lube up all the o-rings good. I changed the oil and wow there must have been a quart or two of diesel in it!!

Everything seems fine after a test drive so hopefully theres no more leaks!