Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need guages in what order

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need gauges in what order

Please excuse my diesel ignorance as this is my first diesel. It's a stock RAM 2500 SL '02 5.9 CTD with auto trans. Everything is running just fine but I know before any chips or major mods I need to add gauges (would like just a little more power while towing). What should I buy first, I know of 4 on the top of the list. Pyro, Tranny temp, Boost and Fuel Pressure, not in that order. I've been looking around and these add up really fast. Some close to 200 smackers. So I'm thinking about a 3 pod A pillar setup for pyro, tranny and boost and then some where else for fuel pressure. I've never seen a 4 pod setup or I'd opt for that. I regularly tow a 7000lb TT with the family in the Rocky Mountains, from '6000 to '12000 elevation.

Any advice?

Thanks
Bill.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel that you have the order down pat allready. Pyro, trans. boost fuel.at least that's the way I would go if I towed a lot.good luck with the bombs and have fun.

tim
Old 07-06-2005, 11:16 PM
Chapter President

You are on the right track. Are you going to do them all at the same time? If not, to protect the injector pump, the FP gage should be one of the first. If you have the bucks, you could get one of the ones that have all four on one display.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:51 AM

fuel pressure and pyro at the same time... then trans temp, and boost after...

f you have the bucks, you could get one of the ones that have all four on one display.
i have seen 3 of the 4 avalable on one display, but not 4 [x-monitor, new thing from dakota digital]... who has one that has all 4??
Old 07-07-2005, 09:05 AM
Chapter President

Originally posted by nickleinonen
fuel pressure and pyro at the same time... then trans temp, and boost after...

i have seen 3 of the 4 avalable on one display, but not 4 [x-monitor, new thing from dakota digital]... who has one that has all 4??
Edge has an X4 display, but I don't remember what all is on it.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:56 AM

IN your case

and since ur overvalved.. Fuel pressure, pyrometer, the trans temperature, then the boost is leat priority. Overvalved means 24 valve just FYI, congrats on ur new truck!.. and welcome to DTR

Tx
Old 07-07-2005, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by timb
good luck with the bombs and have fun. tim
Okay, my ignorance is showing again. I've read bombs a lot on here and other sites. What's that.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:11 PM

Originally posted by 2500Ram
Okay, my ignorance is showing again. I've read bombs a lot on here and other sites. What's that.
BOMB= "Better off Modified Baby !!! " They run even better with a couple of items added.

Dusty
Old 07-07-2005, 02:14 PM

thanks for the info.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Chapter President

Seeing that you live in CO I'd go with all 4 gauges too. 1st, I'd decide what you're going to do with the truck.

The way I see it, you have two choices. I got my egt, boost and trans for about the same as I would have paid for the fp gauges. So It seems that you could get those three or the fp gauge.

-If your 1st mod is going to be a box I'd do the fuel gauge to watch the pump.
-If your 1st mod is going to be like my 1st one (straight pipe, intake and filter) I'd go for the 3 pillar w/ egt, boost and trans.

Since you tow a lot and we both live in the mtns, I'd run a trans gauge too. In the winter, it's flat out worthless (in Breck, Vail and Winter Park mine never even moves regardless of my driving habbits). But in the summer, like today its supposed to be 95, I'd like to know how its doing. Plus both of ours are autos and they tend to play w/ you a little more than the 5 or 6 speeds.

The egt and boost are also nice to know. You basically have two packages to choose from:
1. egt boost and trans
2. fuel pressure

Good luck and enjoy the truck!
Old 07-07-2005, 03:10 PM

Ok i got a 99 in Dec. after getting on here and doin some reading, i figured i better go get my FP checked...so i did that and it was 12 at idle, they said it was fine. One month later I got my gauges in, FP, Boost, Pyro, had 3psi at idle and none driving, so replaced the Lift Pump, great back up to 14.5 idle and 10 WOT, well what do ya know, i put an edge EZ on and start getting the dead pedal, take it in 3 weeks ago and have the 0216 code, VP has gone sound, so 1000.00 later i have a new VP in....guess where I'm goin with this, is if you have a 24v CTD you have to have a FUEL PRESSURE gauge, no matter how many miles on it,,,,that way you can monitor that LP and your Fuel Filter....my whole set up was around 375.00...Apillar, 3 gauges and steel braided line. Check with summit racing on gauges, bought the lowest for autometers (thats just what i run in all my rigs) I have pics of my gauge install if ya want to see them,,,, email me at blown468@bresnan.net gotta get the fuel pressure gauge.... just my .02 cents...

capn
Old 07-07-2005, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by DustyRock
BOMB= "Better off Modified Baby !!! " They run even better with a couple of items added.

Dusty
Don't forget they VOID all warrantys. Just a thought unless of course you can afford to repair anything out of pocket.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by mijpa
Don't forget they VOID all warrantys. Just a thought unless of course you can afford to repair anything out of pocket.
Nope. They (dealer) have to prove that your bomb caused the part in question to fail. Some don't even care...they want the warranty work. Sometimes it depends how you talk to them, or what is actually installed on the truck if/when you bring it in.
Gauges are not going to cause your IP to fail. A box is not going to cause your LP to fail....etc.
I'm my trucks warranty station
2500Ram,
I suggest like others have said for your situation...FP, pyro, tranny, and boost in that order...some people put the tranny or FP on the steering column or down lower since they don't move a whole lot.
Tip: You can get a mechanical Isspro FP gauge and install it yourself for under $100 (not counting the pillar pod). see my pics too for some ideas on the FP setup.
Welcome aboard.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:42 PM

Re: Need guages in what order

Originally posted by 2500Ram
Please excuse my diesel ignorance as this is my first diesel. It's a stock RAM 2500 SL '02 5.9 CTD with auto trans. Everything is running just fine but I know before any chips or major mods I need to add gauges (would like just a little more power while towing). What should I buy first, I know of 4 on the top of the list. Pyro, Tranny temp, Boost and Fuel Pressure, not in that order. I've been looking around and these add up really fast. Some close to 200 smackers. So I'm thinking about a 3 pod A pillar setup for pyro, tranny and boost and then some where else for fuel pressure. I've never seen a 4 pod setup or I'd opt for that. I regularly tow a 7000lb TT with the family in the Rocky Mountains, from '6000 to '12000 elevation.

Any advice?

Thanks
Bill.
You can use these to get all four in a three gauge pod. Combo Boost/EGT, Fuel Pressure, and Trans Temp.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:48 PM

Originally posted by Moose10
see my pics too for some ideas on the FP setup.
Welcome aboard.
I looked but didn't see where you have yours mounted. Maybe I missed in on the A Pillar pics but all I found was the gauge and fittings.

Thanks everyone for the great advise.

Quick Reply: Need guages in what order