Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Need assistance with fuel system

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need assistance with fuel system

Somehow replacing a lift pump led to re-doing the entire fuel system and I have a couple questions.

I am replacing the fuel input banjo fitting on the VP44 with a weber carb to -6AN fitting. I got one made out of aluminum. Is this safe on our hot running trucks? I could not find a brass or steel one. All of my other fittings vary between nickel plated who knows what, brass and aluminum. This is the one I worry about because it's mounted right on the VP44. Fuel line is Goodyear special order 3/8" SAEJ30R9... biodiesel friendly good for 900 PSI (haha).

I am removing the stock lift pump and fuel filter cannister and replacing it with a Racor 6120 (120 GPH, 3/8" NPT ports, 10 micron, built in fuel heater, etc). BEFORE my Carter 4601HP fuel pump. Both mounted as far back as I can get near the fuel tank. I'm wondering how on earth I will prime the system when I change filters.

I was thinking of a "T" with 2 shut off valves located right after the fuel pump?

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...PA/230502.html

I could shut off the fuel delivery valve (which could also be used for security?), and open up the other valve (that would just feed back into the fuel tank?) and turn on the pump without cranking the engine? Would that even work?

In the long run I might look at doing double pusher pumps plumbed in parallel for more Fuel, same PSI. Can I just run a check valve between the fuel supply source and the pump so that they don't fight with each other ????

Sorry for the stupid questions Yes I probably should've gotten a FASS but I'm hooked on doing this myself now. It's part of the.... fun!
Old 11-28-2004, 11:25 PM

I'm not real familiar with the comp cont version. The alum banjo fittings should be ok to run, just can't say on a fabricated one. Depends on the guy that made it.
Is the racor filter the one that has the filter and bowl on top? If it is, you just have to run the system until the air is gone, or put a bleed valve in to bleed the air out. I would keep the number of valves and other plumbing down to a minimum to reduce potential future problems.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:38 PM

The fitting I'm using is the weber carb to -6 AN and then converting to 3/8" NPT right after that. They're Aeroquip fittings found on Summit Racing. Similar to Earl's... should be good quality.

The filter is here: 6120... Took me a while to track down this pic:
http://www.parker.com/RACOR/PRODUCTT...N-HIGHFLOW.JPG

I was thinking of using a bleeder valve after the fuel pump.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:26 AM

Should be fine. I've run 9mo/15k on a number of aluminum fittings and haven't seen any problems. I would rather have stainless, but I don't see a problem as long as its from Aeroquip or a well known manufacturer. I trust them to know what their doing (and charge me a bunch of money for knowing it. )

brandon.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:40 AM
Banned

I thought we payed for the pretty colors.