Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

My Vp44 going south, what's the best hot rod vp44 out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 02:19 PM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
My Vp44 going south, what's the best hot rod vp44 out there?

Hello guys and gals.

Your and mine suspicion just got confirmed from authorized Bosch re-builder.

The internal speed sensor of my VP44 is failing. His prices where really high when modifying the pump and he couldn't guarantee anything. So now I'm turning up to your pumps. What performance VP44's we have in the market with good driveability AND reliability? I don't want any software modified vp44's. I want decent and real hot rod pumps with bigger DV's, plungers,pistons, rotors etc. I don't want any hard to drive smoke machines.

Theres scheid, Industrial Injection, Monster VP? Which one has the best price to HP/driveability ratio?

It's going to cost me a 1300 dollars if this guy in here rebuilts my old pump.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your not going for huge HP (under 650), Id stick with a regular SO pump, if going for high hp Id go with the new II pump the dragon flow.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try blue chip pumps.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:34 PM

That's one possibility. It could be faster and easier to get my original pump rebuilt in here. It's going to be little bit cheaper as well than getting an hotrod pump. Maybe the main reason is that I don't trust your quality control at all. At least in here I'll get really a decently rebuilt pump and I'll get some sort of warranty on it. If I can break 600 rwhp with my rebuilt SO, maybe that's enough. I don't think that my ATS turbos goes much higher than that.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Chapter President

Under 650hp = Regular stock SO pump for driveability and reliability.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Chapter President

Maybe the main reason is that I don't trust your quality control at all.
I hope I am misunderstanding what you said above.

Are you talking about American QC as a whole? That's a pretty ignorant statement and very insulting, especially considering the fact that most of the people you are ask help from are Americans!!
Old 03-03-2009, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Mike D
I hope I am misunderstanding what you said above.

Are you talking about American QC as a whole? That's a pretty ignorant statement and very insulting, especially considering the fact that most of the people you are ask help from are Americans!!
Yes well, okay, I made a little unclear statement there. Why I would drive American made truck if I would not trust it. I did not mean that.
To be more specific,I ment that I don't trust completely your pump builders quality control due the high failures of vp44's.

It kinda helps when you have met the pump builder and he has said that I can allways bring the pump back if it fails and he can re-built on warranty.
I do get a warranty on my pump in here even with wire tapped.

I waited over two months to get my Airdog here by mail! I don't have over 4 months to spare with this thing so I rely the guy in here.

I hope I did not insult anyone, it's just that I don't want to take the risk that my alot waited vp from usa would just quit working after 20 miles and I just lost 2 grands with no working warranty.

I think it might be the best solution just to get my old vp44 rebuilt.

We were talking about the rebuilt pumps in here, not the whole quality of american products, right?
Old 03-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Chapter President

I won't argue about high failure vp44's and who has the most, I will say Czechoslovakia rebuilt pumps were probably one of the worst, not to mention the original pumps built in Germany.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:06 PM

I would suggest Bd's hot rod pump, I have on and it works very well the power gains were really good, over my old pump that still worked good. Only problem I have is tons and tons of black smoke when i drop the hammer. But the 90 hp injectors don't help. Its still controlable smoke, just don't floor it untill you have some boost. Oh and with the setup I have my egts get high fast, but a turbo would solve that.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:18 AM

I'd go with the local rebuilder myself. SO pumps will go to 700hp on fuel only, so that should satisfy your need for a while. I had an II HRVP before, would never buy one ever again. Monster pumps are hit and miss from what I've read, and the Dragon Fire pump just came out, so there isn't much floating around on it. But its 150% more money than your run of the mill pump. Could be well on your way to p-pumping it for that money.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:45 PM
JIT

I know a few guys running Scheid Hot VP44's with no issues. Cant comment on the others as I have no first hand experience with them.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:17 PM

I have a scheid hot rod vp44 with about 65,000 miles on it and the only thing I dislike is the occasional rough idle...
Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 PM
JIT

Originally Posted by skidooer76
I have a scheid hot rod vp44 with about 65,000 miles on it and the only thing I dislike is the occasional rough idle...
I know what you are talking about and I get the same rough idle with my SO pump when I run it hard!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:56 AM

I'm getting a Blue Chips Special X VP44 soon read up on them its not a "hot pump" as its a fully tuned pump to create the most flow, it has a MPG savings & increase in HP http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/bfmVP44.html & the website has alot of VP info
Old 03-06-2009, 01:01 PM
The Guru

Mine HRVP seems to works good, I think its a NADP or industrial (used part). Lots of fuel to feed the injectors. I say go with a local shop as long as he follows what Bosch guidelines on the rebuild. Warranty claims are easier. A refreshened SO VP would hot a ticket and isn't too expensive. I have two good ones still on my shelf in my garage, for just incase. Enjoy, good VP don't last long enough but enough to get you to like your truck again.

Quick Reply: My Vp44 going south, what's the best hot rod vp44 out there?