Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

My time has come

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My time has come

I think my time has come. I'm getting a P0123 & P1693. The truck runs fine. I have noticed the lack of lift pump hum the last few months. Though, when cycling the key for the codes, I heard it. I suspect intermittent failure. I do not have gauges. I know I should, I just never did them. I am expecting the worst and hoping for the best. I cannot find anyone around here locally that can hook up a scanner for free. I know I need to get a more in depth read on the p1693. I am gonna call a local shop on Mon. and bring it in. I have already told my wife to expect a couple of grand for repair costs. I have a few questions fearing the worst. I'm stock now, but I want to go as far as my stock turbo will let me go. I'd like to put in new 1.6 injectors and maybe a smarty also down the road. I know my auto is gonna need some tlc to handle all of this. I'm at 116k

I'm assuming a vp44 and a fass will solve my problem.
1. Are the hp vp44's worth the extra cash?
2. Would the money be better spent on the 1.6's?
3. Would the money be better spent on the smarty?
4. Just address the trouble codes until I do the trans.?

My ultimate goal is to get the best fuel mileage (when I can stay off the throttle) with the most performance and drivability. I do tow 10k on occasion.

So, expecting the worst, how should I proceed?

I'm near Sacramento CA. If someone knows of a good shop feel free to chime in. I know there is Orangevale Diesel, but I remember hearing about another one. I just cannot remember the name.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:23 PM
Chapter President

If the VP44 is good, just spend your money on a good programmer/box. Usually they will include a full set of gauges for you. You will get some good performance and you can always upgrade from there. Take baby steps, these things will drain your wallet.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:49 PM

Autozone will hook up a scanner for free. If you need specific freeze frame info to go along with the code they can probably get that for you tow. A 5 or 10 dollar bill as incentive will go a long way to getting the guy who came out just to check your codes to let you check the freeze data.

John
Old 11-23-2008, 01:04 AM

I went to Auto Zone. They said they do not do it anymore. The only one that does it around here for free is Aamco Transmissions. I took it there and all they did was give me the codes I already had. I even specified what I needed. The kid behind the counter seemed clueless. I tried to explain again after he gave me the codes. The deer in the headlight look convinced me to just save my breath and find someone who actually knew what they were doing.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:52 AM

I'd get an airdog or Fass first or at least somekind of pump if money is a deciding factor.
I was going to say instal gauges first. but if you get a programmer box (edge/quad) the gauges come with it, and they allow more power and you can adjust it, were with injectors you get more power but no to way to control the EGT's unless you eyeball the gauges all the time,
I've posted this before , I spent lots of dollars on an EZ and gauges/pillar pod and injectors had I just bought the box I would have been much further ahead, as you have so much more control with a better box, and in the long run it was cheaper, the difference between the EZ (60hp not really adjustable) and the Juice/attitude(120hp) was 250$ if I had know how much more I got with the EDGE J/A I would have shelled out the extra, as it is now I have a EZ and gauges I gotta get rid of...

so my suggestion is
1. replace the LP(100-499 depending on choice of LP)
2.instal a Edge/quad (700$ or find a deal on a used one) or any combination of box and gauges
3.Instal injectors down the road,do the box first injectors later
4.If the VP is shot replace it yourself with a bosch certified (1000$ ish) lots of venders here who can help you out with the best VP choice for you.
now I got to go look up your fault code cause I dont know what it is
Old 11-23-2008, 10:00 AM

Ok a P0123 is a TPS which is good as sometimes its hard to choose a TPS or a VP in your case its easy you need a TPS, you can try a reset but its not likely to fix it, once the ecm sees it with having a fault its pretty much gareenteed broken. I've read that the price is in the 400-500$ range I would highly suggest you google "Timbo and APPS" he has a Marine version that is more robust and in the 150$ range, he may even be a sponser on this site or the other cummins forum
Old 11-23-2008, 10:01 AM

here ya go.....

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ght=timbo+apps
Old 11-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Airdogs are on sale now too.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Banned

If your interested in a edge juice with attitude look on ebay. I just recently purchased one from a guy that sells refurbished ones. He has them starting for like 5 something or make an offer so I offered him 420.00 which he accepted. The come from edge with a 90 day warranty. Mine looked just like new except the monitor had some scratches on the back but you had to look close for them. Nothing like getting new at a used price!!! This is the second truck I had one on and they are a GREAT investment you can monitor everything and set warnings to go off if something drops to low. Plus you get to keep an eye on that fuel pressure!!!
Old 11-23-2008, 01:28 PM

Thanks everyone. I just sent Timbo01 an email. If this solves my problem, I will be very happy indeed.