Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

My hats off to SOUTH BEND CLUTCH

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My hats off to SOUTH BEND CLUTCH

My hats off to SOUTH BEND CLUTCH http://www.southbendclutch.com/

With nearly 45 years of racing now past I have had more than my share of issues vendors. A few years back I purchased a very expensive clutch for my Dodge diesel. In a short time I felt I had abused it by towing the trailer unknowingly with it's brakes engaged. I ordered a second similar clutch from SOUTHBEND .A few years had passed but I only put about 5,000 miles on the truck. None of which were towing but it encountered major slippage issues. One would expect that after all that time had past contacting the manufacture would be pointless. Well not in this case. My call was to Peter at SBC and at his request I took pictures of the parts. A few days later I received an email to contact him. Peter explained that from the pictures that I sent it was evident that somehow I had received the wrong clutch disc and it definitely was a mismatch to the ultra strong pressure plate I was using. He felt it was just a packaging error and for sure not my fault.
No lame excuses attempting to shift the blame on me or the installers, no dancing around about the unusual time of over two years past since the purchase. Peter just apologized for the inconvenience it had cost me and sent out a brand new clutch , flywheel, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bushing. If there's ever any comparison to be made as to excellent customer service in the future it will all have to be judged against Peter and SOUTH BEND CLUTCH .

my hats off and thanks once again
Old 11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Yes sir, another fine example why Peter at South Bend Clutch not only surpasses the competition in Customer Service, he sets the level all others have to shoot for!

The entire South Bend Clutch organization is dedicated to Quality and Service without excuses.... I find that to be very refreshing in today's world of cheap, wannabe, copy cat impostors.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
X2

Peter was my first call years ago for my first FE clutch. After about 50,000 miles the clutch lost some center springs from the clutch disk. Same thing, took some photos, talked with Peter and the next thing you know the doorbell rings and a brand new clutch was delivered. Not one penny was asked and I gladly would have paid for the depreciated wear.

It amazes me how many talk bad about vendors, but this is one that has taken customer service to the extreme. I have been reading these type of posts for at least a decade about SBC and give them the props they deserve.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Preaching to the choir, boys! Just had a very similar experience. Again, I would have been happy to pay the cost for new disks (all that was wrong with my DD), but instead, Peter went out to the shop and made new disks with some custom touches for my driving style. Sent a new pilot bearing and alignment tool and the UPS man cometh! When I asked what I owed, he said 'you already bought the clutch, you don't have to buy it again'. SBC rules. Other clutches drool...lol
Old 11-17-2010, 04:54 PM

Location: A 5th dimension, beyond that which is known to man.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
these posts are the reason why i was happy to spend 900-1000 dollars on a clutch. you know youre getting taken care of and will be taken care of if anything goes wrong.

where's the story about the guy who had his dog chew up the clutch disc when it got delivered and peter took care of him too!