Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Mustang Dyno - Do's and Don'ts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 11:01 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Mustang Dyno - Do's and Don'ts?

Hey Kat, <br><br>Looks like about every few months your truck seems to forget it makes HP and pulls a silly thing like dynoing 384HP. <br><br>Maybe you should talk real nice to it for a few days and of course when you go to church you know what you need to pray for. HP <br><br>Don~<br>
Old 01-16-2003, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't feel too bad Kat. <br><br>I'm of the opinion that all dyno's are junk, <br><br>The only thing I know one could do is go to the same dyno everytime, have the same person run it, and have the same weather conditions. It seems they can set it up any way they want and make it say anything they want. There is a few guys out there that do a good job. The guy Tom had at his place was good and very professional. David was his first name, but for the life of me I can't remember his last name. [undecided]<br><br>Just my 2 pennies<br><br>DB
Old 01-16-2003, 03:18 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts

When I was still in the high performance car business we had the best results with a Bosch dyno. This dyno did connect to thedrive axle ( wheels removed, adapter plate to 2 driveshafts into the dyno so there was no tire influence) and some magnetic retarder instead of inertia. Great thing to tune part throttle. You could set it up to hold a certain rpm and then step on the accelerator and get a torque curve over throttle position . ( Very important for driveability.) You could also set it up to measure turbo lag from a defined load ( eg 1600 rpm 100 hp) then trigger WOT and watch the acceleration based on a predefined resistance curve. This thing was massively expensive, not portable and somewhat difficult to calibrate.
Ours was limited to 500 KW, but there was a 1000 KW version available.
Biggest problem was heat dissipation ( aka radiator farm on the roof)
We also had access to inertia dynos and found that on turbocharged engines for heavy vehicles they read way too low. On the racetrucks we dynoed we had around 490KW on the Bosch and only 230 KW on the inertia dyno, simply because boost didn't get up where it should in the short time the run lasted. ( not enough load on the engine)
On ours there was virtually no difference for cars up to 2000 pounds but on trucks weighing 6 tons( metric) and up the inertia dyno was reduced to pure guesswork.
It could be interesting to video the boost and EGT gauge readout simultaneously with the dyno plotter to see whether there is the same boost at a certain rpm compared to a WOT accelerating situation. If the values are way off I bet that you can just put the dyno sheet into the recycling bin ( aint I politically correct )
My 2c
AlpineRAM
Old 01-17-2003, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well first off let me say I am in between moving right now, thats why I am scarce this week. And yes I dynoed DDIII's on Tuesday = whopping 385hp @3100 RPM. The operator said 5500lbs was the max he could enter, and my peak power is up around 3100rpm. Run lasted all of about 5.5 seconds. Everyone else I have talked to says you can enter more then 5500lbs so guessing hes got outdated software or something? I dunno. Its a single roller....I didn't see tire smoke but I did smell rubber. Personally I think he was trying his gasser mentatlity on it, hes kind of set in his ways since hes the only dyno around. I run faster times but each time I dyno my HP shrinks......neat trick huh? One thing I thought was odd, was he showed me he could load it, so hes liek welp theres a 15% grade, I was like um ok (was just cruisin) and didn't really bog me just made boost rise a few pounds ..... this was injectors only.....in 3rd gear warming things up, I just found that odd didn't take much throttle to keep going same speed.<br><br>As for the new injectors, yes they are in, I had to get new connector tubes (one too many injector swaps) so it took a bit longer then anticipated, and by Wed afternoon it started snowing. I canceled the 2nd dyno run, didn't feel like spending another $110 that day only to be told &quot;I'm wrong about this and that&quot; regarding my truck and the hp it should have. Its stopped snowing but the roads are still questionable for me to go play much over 10 to 15lbs of boost.<br><br>So I don't have much else to say other then hopefully I can find some dry roads tommorrow afternoon sometime...........its driving DOn M nuts with the suspense of my opinion Just a bad week to get them with moving and the snow :{