Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Mustang Dyno - Do's and Don'ts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mustang Dyno - Do's and Don'ts?

Well I get on the Mustang 1750 tommorrow and Wed. Any Do's and Don'ts I should know about regarding this dyno? I have only been on a Mustang once before and just want to make sure everything goes smoothly. Any specific settings I need to tell the operator?<br><br>I'll be comparing DDIII's to my new Mach IV's from Don M.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Mustang Dyno - Do's and Don'ts?

Edge just straps the truck down on the top of the front roller only, with their Mustang. It's supposed to help in having less friction and heated tires, or something to that effect. <br><br>They also calibrate for drive line losses by running up to 100 mph and letting every thing coast on down to 0 mph in neutral. It gives some sort of calibration number they use.<br><br>Good luck, Kat.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:34 AM

[quote author=Bart Timothy link=board=7;threadid=9583;start=0#91785 date=1042524310]<br>Edge just straps the truck down on the top of the front roller only, with their Mustang. It's supposed to help in having less friction and heated tires, or something to that effect. <br><br>They also calibrate for drive line losses by running up to 100 mph and letting every thing coast on down to 0 mph in neutral. It gives some sort of calibration number they use.<br><br>Good luck, Kat.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I thought MD1750's were all single roller?
Old 01-14-2003, 12:41 AM

Stakeman, you're probably right. I've never seen a 1750.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:46 AM

Only advice I have is, get ready for a load. ;D
Old 01-14-2003, 05:13 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Hey Kat, make sure its in 2 wheel drive too.<br><br> ;D<br><br>oh yeah and another thing we saw on a dyno...make sure you have your park brake off.<br><br>Believe it or not...these things have happened.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:41 AM

Are you open to report on how Don M's injectors work or is it top seceret at the moment?
Old 01-14-2003, 08:55 AM

i'll report how they do.<br><br>I'm not really going to them for topend power gains.....its all about the lowend, which i hope to show between the two dyno sessions
Old 01-14-2003, 09:20 AM

Let us know if they do really smoke less!!! You must be running them right now correct how are they?
Old 01-14-2003, 11:07 AM
Banned

If I'm correct, a Mustang Dyno reads lower than a Dynojet or something like that. If that's not the case, then I'm pretty sure that it reads lower than other types. Let us know how it goes.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:19 PM
DTR Advertiser

The Mustang 1750 while being an inertial dyno and not the load type dyno has a drum weight of like 2300 pounds for the base model and only 2700 pounds for the larger weight.

This type of inertia dyno does not have the dreaded tire slip problem like some the double roller Mustangs do. But it does have another problemand that is its low inertial weight to begin with. Our Cummins engines really need a higher inertia to more readily simulate the trucks actual weight. The 2300 pound roller is tough to get the boost built up more in line with real world driving conditions on the street with a truck that weighs closer to an average of 7000lbs.

The 1750 does include the software to computer correct the weight back to normal, but IMO the calculations are generally off by quite a large margin with a turboDiesel engine.
The last time I checked the weight could only be corrected up to a high of 5500 pounds. This is still far too short from what we actually weigh.

The big dynojets IMO are the closest thing we can get at this time to measure our HP without tire slippage and with an actual roller inertia of 4500 pounds on most models. Some of the dynojets have an even higher inertia and this helps the engine make HP closer to what you would find in real world driving conditions.

On another forum I read that some felt that having the vehicles actual weight was not important, but in the case of a Mustang 1750 the weight needs to be accurate so the computer software can correct the HP number for the low inertia rollers it uses.

In all cases the Mustang 1750 will read HP lower than a dynojet if the dynos are located in the same locale, elevation, temps, etc.

Don~
Old 01-15-2003, 04:58 PM
Banned

I was very impressed with the 1750. I plan on going back to Mustang when they upgrade their ventilators.<br><br><br>It can load your truck like you wouldn't believe, boost is not a problem.<br><br>Can't wait to hear how Kat did.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:05 PM
DTR Advertiser

There are several types of Mustang dynos. Im guessing you may have not been on the 1750, but a simialr model. The 1750 only has a roller weight of 2700lbs with the largest model they make. Although Mustang may have some type of upgrade package that will increase the rollers inertia.<br><br>The 1750 is a single roller type. Not the double that many guys have reported giving them bad readings from tire slippage.<br><br>Don~
Old 01-15-2003, 08:10 PM

I think the numbers from the first dyno were not so good and I know they were wrong because I know his truck has more than 384hp.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:23 PM

Well it is a single roller dyno. I still smelt rubber, but no visable tire smoke.

DDIII's + COMP = 384 hp according to his dyno. He kept trying to use gasser mentality and I didn't like his methods to be honest. He says the limit he can enter is 5500lbs. Run lasted about 5.5 to 6 seconds. I don't know enough about it to ask him what to change, which is why I posted on here. But hey I guess you can run low 13's with only 385hp now.

Its snowing now so I can't even play with the new injectors or dyno them.

Quick Reply: Mustang Dyno - Do's and Don'ts?