Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Multi Layer Steel Headgasket Cometic or Scheid I want updates!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Multi Layer Steel Headgasket Cometic or Scheid I want updates!!

There was a thread on here abou the Cometic headgasket and the new Sheid diesel MLS Headgasket.
I wanted to get some updates on how everyone is liking them.
I will be doing my HG soon and was thing of going this route.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:05 AM
Chapter President

Mine has been holding great.

I have the Scheid gasket.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Chapter President

My bet is that Scheid didn't install the gasket, correct?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Jvenne86
i have the scheids and i will be putting a stock on back on. i cant get it to quit leaking oil. the oil is coming out between the gasket and the steel plate. Scheids WILL NOT back their product either. called to tell them what was happening and the guy just kept saying what else it could be. it wasnt leaking before...
--------------------
Jvenne86:

I wanted to ask as Mike D. did if Scheid Diesel did the work on your engine or if you bought the gasket from Scheid Diesel and did the install yourself??? As Mike D. said, his truck has that same gasket and he has had absolutely no problems with his at all. In fact, Mike D. now has nitrous on his truck and his 1/4 mile times are in the mid 12's and the truck puts down over 500 RWHP!

You also said "Scheid will not back their product." Can I ask who you talked to and at what shop it was?? If YOU did the work on the install I would ask the following:

1.) Did you have the cylinder head checked for warpage both front to rear and side to side before you installed the gasket/head?

2.) Did you properly torque the head down according to ARP specifications?

I would suggest that before you get on a public website and slam a vendor that you at least give that vendor the opportunity to make things right for you! If you did in fact buy the gasket from Scheid Diesel and then did the gasket/head install yourself, it seems to me that some of the liability is on you! I have been doing business with Scheid Diesel for over ten (10) years and they have always provided excellent customer service to me and always "backed up their products and services."

---------
John_P
Old 09-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Chapter President

I know Scheid recommends using the 14mm studs with that gasket, torqued to 155 ft. lbs.

I will say one of the advantages of going with the Schied gasket is the lower compression using the Scheid .090 vs .060 from Cometic. My guess it that it probably lowers the compression about a point. I would have to ask those who are stronger suited in the math department to figure it to be sure. Banshee? Hohn?
Old 09-06-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When you order your gasket from Cometic you tell em what thickness you need, I waited until I heard from the machine shop before I ordered it just to make sure how much was taken off the head, so far its holding excellent, but I also put a lot of prep work into the block surface to and the head was completely gone thru as well.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by 1qckdodge
I waiting until I heard from thre machine shop before I ordered it just to make sure how much was taken off the head,
What difference would that make?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Chapter President

I was wondering how you would see that? Can you post a picture?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are those Cometics 3 or 5 layer MLS?

Either way, you need a pretty good magnifying glass to see which interface is leaking oil.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Jvenne86
i did the install myself. i machined the head. the block was cleaned and check for warpage which the wasnt any. but like i said its leaking in between the gasket and the steel plate NOT between the block and gasket or the head and gasket.
------------------------------------------------
O.K., this situation is a little clearer now. You bought the gasket from Scheid Diesel and did ALL of the work yourself Sir. It is going to be very hard to tell exactly where and why there is a leak without taking the cylinder head off to check. Since it was you that did all the work and not Scheid Diesel, I would suggest calling them back to discuss what is going on with your truck (in an amicable way) and see if they can give you some possible solutions to the problem before you begin criticizing them on this website.

--------
John_P
Old 09-06-2007, 02:54 PM

Mike D,
If I remember correctly, arent you only using the 12mm headstuds?
When I talked to Scheids they said they recommended the 14mm studs also.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by dieselman2300
Mike D,
If I remember correctly, arent you only using the 12mm headstuds?
When I talked to Scheids they said they recommended the 14mm studs also.
Nope. I went with Scheid's recommendation and used the 14mm studs and sold my 12mm studs.

That's what they recommended to me at the time I went with their new MLS gasket and fire ring setup. I liked the idea of the new setup as you don't have to machine your block to use the fire rings.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:14 PM

How much did it run you to get the block drilled and tapped?
Old 09-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Chapter President

I would have to find my receipt, I can't remember off the top of my head and wouldn't want to give inaccurate information.

I think the guys at Scheid are top notch techs, very professional. The guy that did the work on my truck, Bo, was fantastic. Everything he did was done with care.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok i am gion to start over and give the whole story instead of blaming others first. when i ordered my parts i was not told about the 14mm studs just asked if i need to buy studs to. i said no i have just bought arps earlier that day before calling scheids. i had the cyl head surface at the place i work. the finish was basically a mirror finish. i check the block with a straight edge before preping it and afterwards and i could not get a .0005 feeler gauge under it any where. installed everything and torqued the head to 96ft/lbs and ran. put oil in the coolant and found an oil leak on the drivers side above the inspection plate on the side of the block. retorqued to 122ft/lbs still putting oil into coolant and leaking oil. retorqued to 150ft/lbs and no more oil in coolant but still the oil leak. when i called scheids for some help it took three days to get to talk to the right person and was told they would call me, i had to call them. first was told it was because i didnt use the 14mm studs. and then the leak was blamed on coming for every other possible place besides the HG. after basically getting no respect or the possiblity that it could be the HG i told myself oh well lesson learned. i never once asked for my money back or a new gasket, just help. as far as how i found where the leak was coming from i had to spay down the side of the area with brake cleaner star and run the enige for about 10 mins stop and the star removing every thing to get behind the injector lines. with the shape of the head i had use a mirror and light to see the leak. the oil spot was at the top of the of the bottom gasket leaving part of the steel plate oily but the top edge and top gasket were dry. i ran the engine again for a short time and recheck to se where it was coming from just double check and make sure it was between the the steel plate and gasket. i have already bought a stock gasket to install when i have the down time.

Quick Reply: Multi Layer Steel Headgasket Cometic or Scheid I want updates!!