Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

more towing power?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
more towing power?

I bought a used ski boat this weekend. Driving back over I-80 (Donner Summit) from Auburn to Reno. I don't want to say my truck was underpowered, but I could definitly feel the load. It doesn't seem as lively with as my 24V did. It liked to run at 2000-2100 rpm. So, I really couldn't hold 5th gear unless I was up to 70-75 mph, which was a little too fast for towing throught the mountains. I could easily hold 55-60 in fourth, but I want to stay in fifth without downshifting at every grade. Any sugestions for power improvements without high EGT? I don't really want to spend $$ for more turbo, or SBC, so I am looking for a moderate fuel plate that will give this thing a little more of an edge in on the grades. I have 285 tires and 355 gearing. I am also wondering if my lift pump might be a little weak.

Next subject after power improvements will be brakes. There were some hair rasing decents, too. I haven't towed anything in a while, so I'm sure my driving skills are also in guestion.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:59 PM

Fuel plate

You can save some money on the fuel plate by just slidin the stock one forward and sliding the afc housing forward. Both are simple mods that will help you out a little. If you want more power after that then Grind your stock plate to a 100 and put it in the stock position then get a manual boost controller and up the boost on yor turbo. A larger exhaust would help also.
Old 02-06-2006, 11:31 PM

I have 4in exhaust now. I'm really concerned about EGT. I've heard that sliding the stock plates are not good for for EGT control. I didn't think a couple hundred was too bad for a fuel plate. What does the 100 profile look like?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:49 PM

search

Do a search for the 100 and there will be a pic in one of the forums. Towing with my older truck in my ignorance, I installed a #6 fuel plate slid forward all the way and pulled a 12000 lb bobcat and trailer and attatchments weekly and i did this without a pyro for 2 years. Holding it on the floor all the time with the convertor locked in and all i managed to do to the truckwas tear out the tranny so sliding your stock plate shouldnt hurt you too bad especially since you have 4" exhuast.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:12 PM

I bought my first plate and I should've just ground my own. Before you do anything, at least install a pyro guage. Then you can slide your stock plate forward, afc forward, and see where your egt's are. I wouldn't do anything to the truck w/o being able to see my egt's. Like others have said, if that isn't enough power, grind your stock plate. You will also need to check your governor arm adjustment. GSK springs are also a very cheap power mod. Piers has them on sale at times.

Waylan
Old 02-09-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and as for brakes, do like Iam doing...get an exhaust brake.