Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

More Smarty talk

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 09:49 PM
xmr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am happy with my smarty. They even have software that fixed the vin mismatch between the ecm and the pcm since my engine has been replaced.
super product
Old 05-12-2006, 10:18 AM

The smarty is awesome to say the least. It makes the cummins very responsive throughout the whole rpm range, especially the bottom end..wow! Give Bob Wagner a call, great person and excellent service. Ray
Old 05-12-2006, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Mike D
If you stick a little piece of a red spray tube from a wd40 or the like in the vacuum line going to the cruise control it will help... I posted about this fix when the Mad ECM were around..

Thanks for the info Mike. I will try doing that.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike D
If you stick a little piece of a red spray tube from a wd40 or the like in the vacuum line going to the cruise control it will help... I posted about this fix when the Mad ECM were around..
Mike, how much surge did it take out of your cruise? I used the tube from a can of compressed air, looked like the hole was even smaller than the WD40 tube, but it still surges pretty good. On #4 with the Comp on 1x1, it will do OK on the flat ground and on the small inclines, but as it reaches the top it starts to surge. I can tell it's slowed down the cruise response, but apparently not enough.

The cruise has already gotten me into one unintentional race. Right after I got the Smarty I was heading up Hwy 77 between Lexington and Rockdale. The Smarty was on #6 and I was playing with the Comp settings to see if I could calm down the cruise some. As I was going up a little hill, the cruise starting surging in and out and I was right next to a Ram 1500 with a V8. I guess he took the RPM changes and the accompanying noise from the straight pipe as an invitation to race. He floored it a couple of times to pull away then backed off next to me again. So I just reached down and moved to 5x5 to put a quick end to things. When he took off the next time, I took off after him, chased him down and went right on past. Then I went back to experimenting with my cruise.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Justin,
We found out the hard way (had to order 10,000 replacements) that O.D. and I.D. for those red spray tubes are not standardized. You might try a different one.
I'm installing one of ours tonight. If it stops the surge...I'll get you one. Don't think the boss will miss it

RJ
Old 05-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Chapter President

Yeah the cruise control responce is slower, but the surge is less than without the tube. What I had a problem with was when I turned the cruise on it would take off like a BOH...
Old 05-12-2006, 07:37 PM

Hey Guys,
Well got the Smarty today! I pulled the EZ and took the truck for a ride, man that EZ does make a difference. Anyway I have about 3500 lbs of mold parts on the truck that I have to deliver to Scranton, PA. tomorrow and you can really tell the difference between having and not having the EZ on the truck. I attached the Smarty as per instructions and it seems to load up fine. I started out on sw 9 of course and went for a ride. I could instantly tell that the throttle responce way improved. I would say that it's quicker threw the gears as well. I messed around a bit more with other settings and was a bit surprised how snappy the truck felt in the fuel economy mode! I even tried the 1/2 power mode. Yup that sucked. All in all very happy. It'll be nice to see how it is with the load off Sat.
Thanks again guys!!!
Topper
PS. what years will my EZ work with?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Topper
PS. what years will my EZ work with?
Pretty sure only 98.5 and 99, maybe 2000.

phox
Old 05-12-2006, 08:45 PM

'98.5-'00....thats it.......
Old 05-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Chapter President

The thing I don't like about the SMARTY is...............I can't afford one.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Banned

Dude, if I can afford one, you can afford one. And I'm in college.
Old 05-13-2006, 08:19 AM

Is not that "I" don't like the Smarty....its my clutch....it has an attitude!
Old 05-13-2006, 08:27 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by crobtex
Do they have financial aid?
I'd love one too, I would imagine if I tried one out I would take the leap and get one too. It's my main reasoning for not getting the VA I have wanted for about a while now.
Old 05-13-2006, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by crobtex
Cut your wax & car wash budget in half and you can get one very soon!!
(Cleanest **** truck I have ever seen...refuse to park next to it cause mine goes unnoticed).

RJ
PS: How about that. You can't even type **** on DTR; blocks it out without a moderator spotting it!
That's Cool.
Old 05-13-2006, 01:49 PM

Hey Guys,
I went on my trip to Scranton today and the Smarty is awesome! The truck ran great on the way down. Like I said she was loaded pretty good so I kinda took it easy. (Loaded it smoked alot more then the EZ at the bottom). Once I got her unloaded it was a different story. Whenever I got into it the truck just took off with ease. I have bed rail tool boxes on the truck and there loaded up good. I would say that there is never less then 1200 lbs on the truck (heck the welding leads weigh 300 lbs)and the smarty made the truck feel like it was 2000 ta 3000 lbs lighter. I can't think of a better way to say it. The truck is just quicker. Like it's lighter.
I like it! LOTS!
Thanks guys,
Topper

Quick Reply: More Smarty talk