Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

More Power without tappin the wire

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Power without tappin the wire

Hi guys,
I'm pretty sure that most of you guys know about my trip tp Mass Diesel. I was all ready to buy the Comp box and tap the wire. Well after reading the thread about" how long the vp 44 lasted since you tapped the wire" I am now a little concerned about going in that direction. Is there a better way to add the kinda power that the Comp adds without going to the Comp and tapping the wire? Maybe keep the EZ and add more injector. Any input guys?
Thanks,
Topper
Old 01-08-2006, 08:11 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Edit:
Just saw your other thread on this subject........
Old 01-08-2006, 09:10 AM

How much HP are you looking for? You can add injectors and keep your EZ and get the same HP, difference is that its easier on the pump but you dont have the adjustability......

Doug
Old 01-08-2006, 09:26 AM

Hey Doug,
I hope ya had a nice trip. Well as far as power goes. I would like to get what I would get by adding a comp tapped. If I just add injectors will I have a constant smoke issue? How would the driveablity and fuel mileage be changed?
Thanks,
Topper
Old 01-08-2006, 09:38 AM

its gonna cost you a ton...you are going to need bigger injectors but because it is going to be "on" all the time you are going to need a bigger turbo to keep things cool. I would just tap it and if your pump goes get the hot rod vp. Your going to spend less even if you have to buy the new pump. Your stocker is only going to last so long anyway.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Topper
Hey Doug,
I hope ya had a nice trip. Well as far as power goes. I would like to get what I would get by adding a comp tapped. If I just add injectors will I have a constant smoke issue? How would the driveablity and fuel mileage be changed?
You will need to make up a difference around 80-90 RWHP..... So if you replace the 275's with a set of Mach 2.5's you should be just about there. You can run the Mach 2.5's with your stock turbo but would be better upgrading to something like a Phat Shaft 62.

Doug
Old 01-08-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Deezul
its gonna cost you a ton...you are going to need bigger injectors but because it is going to be "on" all the time you are going to need a bigger turbo to keep things cool.":>

Really? Would this be a bad time to mention that I daily drive Mach 4s with a stock turbo in high altitude?

Injectors are NOT "always on". They're only ON when you are into the loud pedal. Big injectors will make the pedal a little more responsive (i.e., it takes less pedal to produce the same result), but injectors are a completely linear amplifier of fueling, unlike a box.

In other words, injectors do NOT change the fueling curve's shape at all, they just multiply it by a constant factor. So it's the same, just say 30% bigger.

If injectors were "on" all the time, your idle speed would go up. But it doesn't, because the computer is smart enough to adjust for the bigger sticks.

IMO, you can daily drive any of Don's injectors up to 150hp with the stock turbo, no problem. Now, if you are going to be towing or loading the truck heavily and trying to use every last bit of HP you have, you'll probaby melt something. Just be smart and observant, and you should be fine.
-jmo
Old 01-09-2006, 04:34 AM

Thanks Guys,
I guess I need to do more research. Hohn do you have any box with your injectors. How hard is it to control your smoke?
Thanks,
Topper
Old 01-09-2006, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
IMO, you can daily drive any of Don's injectors up to 150hp with the stock turbo, no problem. Now, if you are going to be towing or loading the truck heavily and trying to use every last bit of HP you have, you'll probaby melt something. Just be smart and observant, and you should be fine.
Heck you can drive with Mach 7's with a stock turbo, but driveable and useable are too different things. Mach 4's and a stock turbo will get hot with anyone who uses their trucks for anything other than daily driving, and even then they will need to watch egt's........ Plus the truck is way overfueled for the turbo at this level so towing is really not an option.

Doug
Old 01-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Banned

I'll never understand the need for different settings... but I'm a 12v guy...

watch the pyro and use your right foot to decide which "setting" to use
Old 01-09-2006, 11:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Topper
Thanks Guys,
I guess I need to do more research. Hohn do you have any box with your injectors. How hard is it to control your smoke?
Thanks,
Topper
With these M4s, I've ran a VA box (no smoke issues at all), no box (not much smoke) and various test Catcher ECMs (tougher to control smoke).

I have no problems at all controlling smoke with the present configuration of M4s and Catcher ECM, but the ECM variant is a little less aggressive than a normal Catcher. On a Smarty, it's more like SW #7 than sw #9, which is the normal catcher.

It's worth noting, though, that I haven't driven this present configuration in hot weather at altitude. Smoke control in hot weather at high altitude is MUCH different than when it's cold.

I'd imagine that smoke control in the summer around here will be pretty tricky with M4s and aggressive bottom end fueling (like a Catcher/Smarty would give).
--jh
Old 01-09-2006, 12:24 PM

I have an EZ and DD3's(100hp) and I don't have any problems controlling smoke with the stock turbo.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:12 PM
Banned

Try towing with bigger injectors(bigger than 90hp), stock turbo(even with wastegate disabled), and in the mountains on a hot day. Then you'll SEE what everyone says about going too big for injectors when towing.