Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

More Fuel pressure questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More Fuel pressure questions

OK you'll have to bear with me here I Am A Newbie

But here's what I got
2001.5 2500 5.9 HO NV5600 3.54 136K (40K HARD)Miles
4" Silverline SS
Just Installed 500 miles ago Edge Juice w/Attitude (B-Day Present, Gotta love My wife)
Problem is The fuel pressure reading on the Attitude is all over the place
15 @ Idle
will hold at least 10 most of the time dosent matter if its WOT or 50% throttle towing 15,000 lbs @70mph on a 5% grade
but while holding a speed setting it will drop off to 2-3 BUT if I smash the loud pedal it CLIMBS back up to 10-13 for a while then drops off again
I AM CONFUSED!!!
a few more details:
new fuel filter 1000 miles ago
OEM Lift Pump 42000 miles ago
Original VP44
Old 08-29-2008, 09:41 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Sounds like it time for an aftermaket lift pump. I reckon the OEM is on the engine and not in the tank, correct?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It could be the sender. Make sure your readings are valid before you go condemning the LP based on them.

The vast majority of warranty claimed LPs we get back from the field are perfectly good pumps..

jmo
Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 PM

Correct ...the lift pump is on the motor

then comes the million dollar question this is a WORK Truck I Need to keep it as SIMPLE AND RELIABLE (economical would be nice too)
Any Recommendations???

But I still dont understand how if the lift pump is failing how the pressue goes UP with the liberal application of throttle.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:07 PM

Brand new sender with the Attitude kit
but thats not to say its not a faulty imported part
Old 08-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Always a day late, and a dollar short.

Might be a faulty sender then. Holds than drops off while holding the throttle. Hmmm
Old 08-29-2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by MichRedneck
Correct ...the lift pump is on the motor

then comes the million dollar question this is a WORK Truck I Need to keep it as SIMPLE AND RELIABLE (economical would be nice too)
Any Recommendations???

But I still dont understand how if the lift pump is failing how the pressue goes UP with the liberal application of throttle.

If the sender is getting low voltage on the input, when the engine revs up and the alternator makes more juice, the voltage might go up, which in turn sends a higher voltage back to the Attitude, making it think there's more FP.

I think your voltage regulator is getting a little shady.

For reliability, a simple liquid-filled mechanical guage is the way to go. Jeg's has them for $20 and mine has performed flawlessly for years.

jh
Old 08-29-2008, 10:56 PM

HOHN,

RE: Those mechanical gages that Jegs sells.

Is yours installed in the cab? If so how much hose did you need, jegs sells 4' and 6'.

However, they also state not for use in in-cab setups without an isolator.

The only reason I ask is I am in the market for a FP gage.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2008, 11:05 PM

I have mine in the cab. It's plumbed with a combination of greasegun hose and braided line. I run a 4-5ft length of braid with 18" of grease gun hose on either end to help with packaging.

It's starting to wiggle a little (needle wobbles), but it's silent, and that's most important to me. It has no lighting or any other complexities-- it's simple, cheap, effective--- all things I like.

jh
Old 08-29-2008, 11:11 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DodgeDawg2500
HOHN,

RE: Those mechanical gages that Jegs sells.

Is yours installed in the cab? If so how much hose did you need, jegs sells 4' and 6'.

However, they also state not for use in in-cab setups without an isolator.

The only reason I ask is I am in the market for a FP gage.

Thanks
My Isspro Mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge is mounted in the cab. I used 1/8" plastic airbrake grade line from the IP (thru a valve) into the cab and to the gauge. I also slipped the 1/8" line thru a bit larger (I think it's 3/8") brake line for insillation. I have had zero problems with it.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:12 PM

Thanks for the info.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
My Isspro Mechanical Fuel Pressure Gauge is mounted in the cab. I used 1/8" plastic airbrake grade line from the IP (thru a valve) into the cab and to the gauge. I also slipped the 1/8" line thru a bit larger (I think it's 3/8") brake line for insillation. I have had zero problems with it.

Be careful with plastic tubing. If it's sealing with a compression fitting using a ferrule, it WILL eventually fail.

The ferrule cuts through the plastic tubing and it will leak.

Don't ask how I know

Teflon tubing is tougher and would probably not have this problem, but if it's just nylon, I'd be concerned.

jmo
Old 08-30-2008, 03:43 PM

HOHN,
JPR,

If you use DOT style air brake compression fittings with the plastic tubing it will greatly reduce leaks (they have an insert sleeve built into them)
Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 PM

why not just buy a fuel pressure guage designed for temporaryly hooking up. If you buy a cheap guage with a shreader fitting from any parts store they all sell them, it will just screw onto your banjo fitting if your fitting has the male threads on the end(probably covered by a plastic dust cap). just hook up the guage and strap it to your wiper and go for a drive, check its readings against your juices.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:16 AM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MichRedneck
HOHN,
JPR,

If you use DOT style air brake compression fittings with the plastic tubing it will greatly reduce leaks (they have an insert sleeve built into them)
I feel you are correct. Hence to reason I do use airbrake line that is use on our Freightliners, Kenworths and Peterbilts here at work.

Quick Reply: More Fuel pressure questions