Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

More on Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More on Batteries

Ok guys it's just about winter up here in the GREAT NORTHEAST and it's time to get the trucks ready . I have read about the different types of batteries that guys here like and I thought that I would go with the optima red tops but wanted to ask one more time. What are the very best batteries for our trucks? I'm not all that concerned about price I just want the best batteries that I can get.
Thanks guys!
Topper
Old 10-20-2005, 03:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Optimas...

No questions asked.. I have Exides in mine, they are ok, Dad has an optima in his truck as does my mom and bro, and although pricy they are good. My boss has two on a powerstroke.. Fires it up like nothing...

I have had Duralast golds on my last truck as well as Diehard Golds, Diehards are better, well were for me at least and spent 225 for two batteries...

Best of luck!!
Old 10-20-2005, 04:10 PM

Batteries

I don't know enough about Optimas to judge them,
I do know that the only "wet acid batteries" that will hold up in my territory are the servicable kinds. The extreme heat and cold cycles make service a must....I have to add water a couple times each summer.
I've had good luck with WalMart Everstart MAXX batteries, I have one in my 97 Neon for 2 yrs, one in my 85 W150 for 3 yrs, 2 in my 3500 that are 2 and 3 years old.
With a three year replacement warranty and only $58 apiece!!
Old 10-20-2005, 04:22 PM

I just bought two of them there Wal Mart batts my self.

I have the Optima yellow in the Jeep but for the Warranty Wal Mart offers its hard to beat.

Dan
Old 10-20-2005, 04:56 PM

I've been in the auto repair buis. as an employee and shop owner for over 25 yrs. and when ever you think that you''ve found the best of something , the Co. sells or what ever and everything changes , that being said , the batteriers I've found to last at least as long as the warrentee or longer and just need the battery no receit if it does fails is interstate and you'll find a dealer almost anywhere. I like to buy the best also but at twice the $$ I've seen 25-50% better performance , not double and I think the dealer & warntee might be harder. Even at the do it yourself parts house's and Sears they wanted a reciept 6-8 mnths later . The next is Batteries Plus , becouse I see so many stores and I asked if they fail what about the reciept, they said I wouldn't need it . Of course you can abuise a battery and most shops can get a clue of that and mite be harder to work with then , if you keep a close eye on your electrical then I've seen good batteries last up to 6-8 yrs. that meens preventive testing and maintance. I get 10 yrs. out of my deep cycles.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Gell Cell (Optimas) batteries are here to stay. They are lighter (40 pounds for our trucks) they don't leak to ruin fenders, wiring harnesses, and cruise control modules, ect.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:37 PM

batteries

i am 68 years young. i have never had an after market battery any brand last 4 years. i have tried every suggestion from every one. new vehicle batteries have lasted as long as 8 years. something is wrong with this picture. after market batteries are not as good as the ones that come in new vehicles period.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm running twenty-two Optima Redtops in various farm equipment, trucks and cars.
Does that indicate which brand I prefer?
Oldest Redtop is going strong after nine years, never touched once. If it had been a lead acid battery I would have had to deal with corrosion at least eighteen times.

Both sets in my CTDs are six years old.

Friend of mine has a Redtop on his mobile Lincoln welder that was dropped several years ago, over half of the of the case is missing, still going strong.
Try that with a lead acid battery.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jughead
i am 68 years young. i have never had an after market battery any brand last 4 years. i have tried every suggestion from every one. new vehicle batteries have lasted as long as 8 years. something is wrong with this picture. after market batteries are not as good as the ones that come in new vehicles period.
Sir, I suggest you try buying different batteries! If you are only getting 4 years from them, you are buying some cheapie from Wal-Mart or a generic parts store brand.

Aftermarket replacement batteries are available that are superior to ANY original equipment item. OEM batteries are furnished based HEAVILY on cost to the vehicle manufacturer.

A newer battery design like an Optima, or (even better) an Odyssey, will outperform any OEM battery you have ever seen.

Respectfully,
H
Old 10-21-2005, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by zukgod1
I just bought two of them there Wal Mart batts my self.

I have the Optima yellow in the Jeep but for the Warranty Wal Mart offers its hard to beat.

Dan
I thought Optima red tops had the best warranty! How could that little battery be very good, my stock battery is twice the size!
Old 10-21-2005, 06:17 PM

batteries

Originally Posted by HOHN
Sir, I suggest you try buying different batteries! If you are only getting 4 years from them, you are buying some cheapie from Wal-Mart or a generic parts store brand.

Aftermarket replacement batteries are available that are superior to ANY original equipment item. OEM batteries are furnished based HEAVILY on cost to the vehicle manufacturer.

A newer battery design like an Optima, or (even better) an Odyssey, will outperform any OEM battery you have ever seen.

Respectfully,
H
i respect your opinion but i have tried them all. even paid high dollar for a delco because the original lasted 8 plus years. guess what it wouldnt start the truck the next morning. sure they replaced it. less than 4 years later i had to buy another one. replacement parts are NOT as good as the original. i have been in the business for 40 plus years. i tell it like i see it.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by jughead
i respect your opinion but i have tried them all. even paid high dollar for a delco because the original lasted 8 plus years. guess what it wouldnt start the truck the next morning. sure they replaced it. less than 4 years later i had to buy another one. replacement parts are NOT as good as the original. i have been in the business for 40 plus years. i tell it like i see it.
I not trying to be disrespectful, but gel cells are new technology. If you don't like new technology then how come you are poundings keys on a computer? Getting 4 years out of a lead acid battery is crazy.

Like the old saying says "Don't knock it till you try it."
Old 10-21-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Four years is like two free bonus years in western Arizona! I have customers that come in after two years and simply have us replace the battery in their car just so they won't have to mess with them dying. I like the Optimas, but I have also installed the Mopar spiral cell batteries in quite a few Jeeps, and Dodge trucks. They work really nice in the Intrepid/Concord body too as those batteries are tucked up in the wheel well where it requires disassembly just to see if the terminals are corroded. I put the Mopar Spiral wound batteries in mine three months ago. I also have a customer that has had them in his 97 CTD Dodge for over three summers now with no probs, and above all NO MESS! "if you live in hell.....buy the gel!"
Old 10-21-2005, 07:21 PM

I was looking at different batteries, and to me it looks like it was stock replacements put in my truck, and they work good, but they die very easily on me if I run something without the truck running. I will probably be replacing them with Odysseys because I can get a pretty good deal on them up here, I was going to go with optimas but the Odysseys are almost the same price, and the way I look at it, we have a commericial engine in our trucks, so it deserves a commercial battery, and If I am not mistaken the military also uses them I have heard, so they must be descent, anyways, I am trying to decide whether to replace with two 1200s, or just go with one 2100. Good luck on your search for batteries.

-Jared
Old 10-21-2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by diesel_kid
If I am not mistaken the military also uses them I have heard, so they must be descent, anyways, I am trying to decide whether to replace with two 1200s, or just go with one 2100. Good luck on your search for batteries.

-Jared
They come standard on all new aircraft now. No corrosion is a VERY good thing on an airplane.

Quick Reply: More on Batteries