Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

More on the 2nd Gen Dash Pod

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 04:54 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
More on the 2nd Gen Dash Pod

Here are a few pix of the smooth finish final prototype of the dash pod for the 2nd gen Rams. I think it will be sold as more of a do-it-yourself kit since there can be many different configurations of gauge positioning, number of gauges, and/or switch positioning. Also different size gauge holes too.

I have my three gauges [boost, Pyro and fuel pressure and then a switch for the fuel pump that transfers fuel from the big tank to the factory tank. I plan to add another switch for the [censored] .

I am currently getting the pricing for just the dash pod and for the dash pod with a dash facia.

I set out to do this as an alternative to the pillar and for better viewing of the gauges.

I'll get Sheep boy Push Rod to get the pricing and details on here asap. I will be heading to Texas in one week for the Kerrville show and the drags. ;D
Old 10-15-2002, 04:55 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Re:More on the 2nd Gen Dash Pod

Another pic....
Old 10-15-2002, 04:58 PM
Top's Younger Twin

One more...I made sure they were at 500 wide but they sure came out big for some reason. ???<br><br>This pic shows it from outside the truck looking at the dash and where it lines up. Came out perty darn good.<br><br>I think the best finish would be the smooth with a matte black paint over it.<br><br>EH <br><br>
Old 10-15-2002, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Scotty:<br><br>Is this a prototype from your company or someone<br>elses??? Also, did you have to drill into the dash<br>for mounting?<br><br>Looks good! Thanks.<br><br>-------<br>John_P
Old 10-15-2002, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

COOOOOooooooL Scotty!!! That looks really good. 8)<br><br>CR
Old 10-15-2002, 05:42 PM
Top's Younger Twin

[quote author=John_P link=board=7;threadid=5920;start=0#53230 date=1034719929]
Scotty:

Is this a prototype from your company or someone
elses??? Also, did you have to drill into the dash
for mounting?

Looks good! Thanks.

-------
John_P
[/quote]

John, I designed that from the ground up. Yes you have to cut the facia...not the dash, just the facia and I am working on a price for the facia as well...for folks that want to have an unaltered facia for when they sell their truck.

I cut out part of the facia [I was really wondering what the heck got into my head to start chopping another area of my truck], so the gauges appear recessed into the dash. Took a few different tries but I got it down to the final look, fit and probably the finish. Those gauges are over 3&quot; deep.

It works with auto equipped and manual trans trucks and the steering wheel does not hit the unit when its up all the way.

I missed part of your question... I had to screw the unit to the facia too...I opted for screwing it in place as opposed to glue or plastic tabs so that it can be removed for changing gauges or bulbs or whatever very easily. I used an automotive waffle head screw. Mounted to the facia only.

I think it might get a strange name...
Rods Pods.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts

Scotty:<br><br>Thanks for the reply and great explanation!!<br><br>I like your idea for the name of the pod!! ;D<br><br>-------<br>John_P
Old 10-15-2002, 10:46 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks Great Scott. I will pass the word around down here Man.

Don~
Old 10-15-2002, 11:41 PM

I would definately be interested in purchasing one of these bad boys!! they look sweed!
Old 10-16-2002, 05:23 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

&quot;Rod's Pods&quot;....... <br><br><br>Good name.
Old 10-16-2002, 07:27 AM

Hey scotty I dunno if its of interest but I have some welding skills by trade. I have recently moved my gauges to a less obvious position. You know the abs cover in the center of your truck well I fabricated a new cover to incorporate 3 gauges. Looks great and if visible but u cannot stare at it! Anways I just though of something mine is a 2WD so no transfer case and not a standard guess my idea sucks for some people!
Old 10-16-2002, 09:51 AM

Ah yes, sure like the looks of the Rod Pod. You are planning on including instructions on wiring routing and how to remove the facia and dash if necessary. Guess I'll have to wait for the unit to see if there are other questions. Lookin' for a hammer to break into the piggy bank. Thanks Scotty for the effort. Sure appreciate it. <br><br>~Dave
Old 10-16-2002, 10:07 AM
KC

Very impressive! <br><br>KC
Old 10-16-2002, 10:15 AM
Top's Younger Twin

The facia comes off real easy...just pull it off. Pops right back into place.<br>No need to do anything to the dash but you have to remove 4 screws that hold the climate controls in place for better access at feeding the leads through for the gauges and switches. Then put it back where it was. I found it pretty simple to run the leads through the firewall and to the Rod Pod location if I had the knee bolster piece removed so I could reach in and guide the leads up to the top. I also ran a lead from the lighter light so that I had dimming control of the gauge lights.<br><br>This unit is only for the 98 and newer 2nd gen Rams.<br>I am looking into the pre 98 Rams now.<br><br>Another good thing is it does not interfere with the George Foreman Grill.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:58 AM

Scotty - <br><br>Approx when might you have these available for sale? Do you expect these to be price competitive with other gauge pods, $50 range?<br><br>Xmas is coming and I already put in my request for gauges and pod with the wife but like your setup better so would like to hold off until you have these ready... ;D<br><br>Thanks,<br><br> Jim

Quick Reply: More on the 2nd Gen Dash Pod