Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Miss/surge getting worst - Cam? Timing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miss/surge getting worst - Cam? Timing?

I have posted several times about my surge problem. I've done everything I've read on this site. The truck misses when reving up in park, miss/surge when just crusing. No problems when putting the truck under power. The miss/surge is getting a little worst all the time. If I pull any of the performance equipment off and put the stock parts back on the miss/surge is still there, just not as bad. Could the Cam have a lobe going bad or slight slip in timing? It looks like I will have to let it finally break down so I will know what part is doing this.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gene,
I have a similar problem with mine. Feels like a slight miss, sounds terrible in the intake. If I unhook the intake from the manifold and pull the front bolts out I can feel air getting pushed back into the intake.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:57 AM

A cam is not going to cause an intermittent problem like this.

I would imagine that it's been suggested before that your VP is bad. Given that you have a likely new and expensive HR VP, I'm sure that's not what you want to believe!

I assume no codes since you don't list them.

If this was happening to my truck I'd assume it was the VP after checking the APPS.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:25 PM

cditrani,
No codes. Your right about not wanting to condem the VP44. But this surge has been around for 3 VPs, two of which were removed and retested (one put back on). I have changed and replace and re-replace so many sensors,vps,lift pumps,apps, injectors etc. the problem is still there. As stated it only diminishes some what if I go back to stock. I'm grasping for the fix, thats where the worn cam lobe and timing question came from. You have helped out by possibly eliminate one of those. I thank you for the post.

Regards,
Gene
Old 12-21-2006, 07:25 PM

If it's your cam you should be able to tell with a valve adjustment. What if you go though and adjust all valves perfectly the same as best as a person can, and go back and ckeck them in 5k incerments writing clearences in log book this should tell if you have a bad lobe.
Last adjustment on mine I went though and checked every vavle before I adjusted them none was muck more than .01 out.

Jed
Old 12-22-2006, 08:59 AM

Gene,

It is probably your HRVP44. There are quite a few trucks out there running the HRVP44's with this "problem". I've been down the same route as you - spent a LOT of money and time trying to fix the problem. I gave up trying about a year ago and the truck still runs awesome! I hear there may be some resolution with the new Smarty - talk to Industrial Injection.
Old 12-22-2006, 10:13 AM

It is your hrvp44, mine does the same thing, but you have the smarty and the new software version is supposed to take care of that, ask bob or marco about it

Bryan

Trending Topics

Old 12-22-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ocmechanx
It is your hrvp44, mine does the same thing, but you have the smarty and the new software version is supposed to take care of that, ask bob or marco about it

Bryan

Bryan, Did you have any of the symtoms before the HPVP44 or 150's? I understand you have similar symtoms now, have you ever gone back to stock injectors, and still have the surge?
Thanks in advance,
Gene
Old 12-22-2006, 11:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a question for you. Does it do it only when using the pedal or with the cruise on or both? Did you recalibrate the APPS. I dont mean the unhook the batt method either. The one I'm refering to is checking the voltage the APPS is putting out.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:51 AM

95ram,
With the stock equipment on it started the surge between 45 - 50 mph. But it wasn't bad, the more performance equipment the harder the surge (45 - 55)and now it is between 40 - 60mph in drive with light pedal (with the OD on it out of control with surge). I have changed the TSP/AAPs twice and have reset the apps voltage. Also tried bypassing the wiring from apps to PCM from the diagrams I found on the site. The miss at idle or revving engine is like a gasser with a bad plug miss firing just a little.

Regards,
Gene
Old 12-23-2006, 04:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm just asking because mine has recently started doing this. It will surge when using the throttle at 35-70, but not when using the cruise. I've also developed a mis when free reving. I'm not sure if this is do to cold weather though. I'm still on the stock VP at 129K. Knock on wood.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:05 AM

Did you try cleaning or replacing the Air intake temperature sensor or the Map sensor. Mine was doing it real bad the other morning when it was real cold. I noticed my boost guage fluctuating( jumping around) alot at the time.
Either bad connection is my guess or Map sensor isnt any good. I really dont know for sure because I was working on the truck the other night when it was cold and I fired it up in the garage and when I backed it out into the cold ( like 50 degrees difference) it just started missing and acting like it wanted to runaway( reving pretty high), I shut off quick and it fired back up and has run fine ever since. You tell me?
Old 12-23-2006, 08:34 AM

Mine has a weird little miss between 1700 and 2000,when about 50-65% load to the pump (on the attitude monitor) its not real bad,just gets old when I'm pullin...seems to only do it in 6th,but that could be cause' you either shift or get past 2k in a hurry in 5th.
I'll be keeping an eye on this one!
Old 12-25-2006, 11:10 AM

Merry Christmas All

Mountaineer,
I have changed the IAT and MAP sensors. Everything has been changed and it has done this with 3 different VPs. Thats why I'm looking deeper into the engine for the problem. If I find a solution I will surely post, I've seen several others on here with the same problem.

Regards,
Gene