Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Misconceptions on Turbocharger inducer sizes

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Many hear a sales pitch...I hear good usable info.

IIMO, there are two reasons why you hear few raves about BD's twins....
1- Most dismiss them without looking closely for the very reason John Todd mentions above -bad information! "The primary turbo is not big enough" ... according to many!

2-IMO - BD mis-marketed their twins. They went after a market that could have twins without doing head work and still get 500 hp. This approach probable made sense 2 yrs ago, but in fact, missed the mark. They went after a market that was shifting it's focus from 450 hp to 650 hp. I don't think they saw what was coming...but who did??

I almost ignored BD's twins, myself. My goal was the best 600 hp daily driver I could build. But, I was so impressed with BD's twins being engineer/computer designed that I was willing to detune my truck, if need be, to use them.

I was very pleasantly surprised to see these, so called small, twins support my present HP level beautifully. They spool faster than a stock HX-35, and at WOT, EGT's will very slowly climb to about 1450* at around 110 mph. On the road...they never get in the red, on my set up.

How could BD accomplish these numbers with a S300 primary turbo, when so many of us dismiss them as 'towing twins'? Maybe those interested in understanding the complicated interaction of compound turbos might want to pay closer attention to what John has to say instead of dismissing it as promotional hype.

RJ
Old 01-13-2007, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
. But, I was so impressed with BD's twins being engineer/computer designed

Keating shealy designed the BD twin kit in his shop in TN yrs ago and sold the turbos to them through EEP now they have changed a few things mainly turbos and such as for CPU engineer goes its called blacksmith designed
Old 01-13-2007, 01:20 PM

BD does have some maps availible. Not very detailed but here ya go:
http://www.bd-power.com/ram/graphs/b..._com_graph.pdf
Old 01-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rjohnson
I was very pleasantly surprised to see these, so called small, twins support my present HP level beautifully. They spool faster than a stock HX-35, and at WOT, EGT's will very slowly climb to about 1450* at around 110 mph. On the road...they never get in the red. RJ
what are your drive pressures like?
Old 01-13-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
We recieve calls all the time from guys who want super fast spoolup, 600+ RWHP and be able to two a 20K load in the rockies. Doug Smith

Do you have a turbo like that? I sure could use one.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by wildmanben
Do you have a turbo like that? I sure could use one.
Wish we did......
Old 01-14-2007, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
what are your drive pressures like?
45 psi @ 55 psi boost
53 psi at 60 psi boost
65 psi @ 65 psi boost... everything on full (632 hp)

'Rods' - I believe (was told) John Todd is the one primarily responsible for the BD twins of today. He is an engineer by trade and was hired away from Holset by BD.

RJ
Old 01-14-2007, 09:41 AM

632 RWHP with Mach 4's? Something doesn't appear right with that..... Even queezing on the alcohol that number seems high. What brand and model dyno was it?
Old 01-14-2007, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jetpilot
632 RWHP with Mach 4's? Something doesn't appear right with that..... Even queezing on the alcohol that number seems high. What brand and model dyno was it?
Mustang 250.... on two separate occasions. 628 & 632 (with F-1 Springs). I have seen dyno sheets on a 730 hp Duramax from this dyno and a Dynojet that were almost identical, FWIW.
I use Racing Methanol - 50/50% as recommended to me by Jim Fulmer.

It's hard to believe but there are not many Dynojets in the Dallas or OKC area. The two I have found are in 'ricer' shops and they really don't seem to want/need diesel truck business.

The N. Texas DTR Club finally set up a Dynojet (248C) for Feb 3rd. I'm anxious to see any difference as well. According to what I read from Dave Dunbar, HP will be close but torque on Mustangs reads 150 - 200 ft-lbs high??

Anyone else tried both?

RJ
Old 01-14-2007, 10:25 AM

Well thats an awesome number..... Normally we would need some larger sticks and turbos to see that kind of number! Great job.

Doug
Old 01-14-2007, 10:43 AM

Thanks, Doug ..... but we'll see. I have always felt the numbers were a little high for the bombs I have. Anxious to compare on a Dynojet.

FYI - When I added the BD twins (nothing else), I gained 56 hp on the dyno. Previously at 572 HP, with a 'Lil' HX-55 I had on there.... the one you and I once talked about. You were very kind...and very right about that one!

RJ
Old 01-15-2007, 05:54 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by Rods
. But, I was so impressed with BD's twins being engineer/computer designed

Keating shealy designed the BD twin kit in his shop in TN yrs ago and sold the turbos to them through EEP now they have changed a few things mainly turbos and such as for CPU engineer goes its called blacksmith designed

True on our 02 Dodge we did run the EEP twins. That was before we had John Todd working here. These kits are no where near the same design other that the fact there is two turbos and some piping. This is in no way a nock at EEP twins.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:19 PM
DTR Advertiser

http://www.bd-power.com/ram/graphs/b..._com_graph.pdf

Here is a link to the Map for our turbos.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
True on our 02 Dodge we did run the EEP twins. That was before we had John Todd working here. These kits are no where near the same design other that the fact there is two turbos and some piping. This is in no way a nock at EEP twins.
how much longer till the other twin setup is released and approximately
how much?
Old 01-15-2007, 07:00 PM
Banned

those are some impressive numbers! what's your peak EGT with everything on kill? sorry in advance i fyou said and I missed it

Quick Reply: Misconceptions on Turbocharger inducer sizes