Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Mild perf improvements

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mild perf improvements

Y'all got me fixed up on the gauges. Now I am interested in the next step, to make mild power improvements on my 97 3500 auto, it has 105,000 miles on the motor. I don't think I want to go to more than about 250hp with appropriate torque level. I am towing a 12k-13k 5er. Also, since it's not riding level with the 5er hooked up, have you any recommendations for rear load levelers/helper springs? <br><br>Thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:43 PM

Re:Mild perf improvements

From what I hear, our auto tranny's can only handle an Edge ez or similar box without problems. This will give you about 65 more hp and about 185 lbs torque. Concerning your 5th wheel, I had problems with my 5th wheel riding nose up due to the height of my truck. Bought a kit from Dexter axle and relocated the axles on the 5th wheel below the leaf springs. Now my 5th wheel rides level, but the first step is a little high. Some guys will lower the rear of their truck, but most would rather flip the axles on their trailer.
Old 02-18-2003, 06:38 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Diesel Dave, the 97 Ram is not a 24 valve electronic engine.<br>He will probably benefit from a fuel plate.<br>Someone on here with 12 valve P-7100 power uprates in that range can chime in here.<br><br>
Old 02-18-2003, 06:40 PM

check out TST's chart @ www.TSTproducts.com<br><br>They list what the power level of each plate for each year is. You choose the one that's right for you.<br><br>I wouldn't get to wild though or you'll be spending MAJOR $$$ on the tranny. :'(
Old 02-18-2003, 07:36 PM

I tow 10,000 lbs and really like my #8 plate. (230/605, in mine). Had to go with a greater CFM air filter due to EGT's, they weren't that bad but the lower the better. The plate is just forward of stock position, approx. 1/32&quot; (.030). I set the timing to 15.5 and &quot;played&quot; with the star wheel to minimize the smoke. Mileage is 14-17 towing, depending on hills, altitude etc. The truck is a '95 3500 and is a daily driver....19 empty. All in all its just what I wanted! Mines a 5 speed. Been over the sierras and will be doing the rockies in the spring.<br><br>Michael
Old 02-18-2003, 10:39 PM

I have Firestone airbags and I like them ok. They have the advantage of being able to adjust to situation in play.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:40 PM

Arkansas,<br> I'm running the 8 plate also. Does well with my 12k fiver. Tried a five plate (TST) which was great on the power end but towing temps went too high too fast. I would guestimate that you may be able to run a 6 plate and not hit temps too high. I did add the BHAF for more air flow.<br><br> Are you saying your pin weight is too much for a one ton? It surprises me as I thought the pin weight on that trailer was in the 21 to 22 range which that truck should handle well. It may well be that the nose of the trailer is down. If so, you can adjust the pin box to bring the front up to level.<br><br>Bill
Old 02-19-2003, 07:34 PM

Bill;<br>The rear of the truck squats down as if the springs are shot/overloaded, looks like it's down several inches. The pin weight is a measured 2160 off the lot. It should be able to handle it I would think. The trailor is level, I raised the hitch 1 hole since it had been set up for a different trailor.<br><br>I have already replaced the stock air filter with a K&amp;N. What is a BHAF (something something air filter? <br><br>Thanks
Old 02-19-2003, 08:48 PM

...Big Honkin' Air Filter!
Old 02-20-2003, 07:48 PM

Arkansas,<br><br>No fire intended here. Toss that K&amp;N as to get cfm you need surface area not a wet filter. The BHAF has nearly 1000 cfm to give, the oiled one would have to get holes sucked through it in order to pass air. K&amp;N's have their place but in front of a turbo (and aftercooler) is just not one of those places. There is no need to lube your charge air cooler, you will ruin its performance. A good, big, dry airfilter with a pre filter is the ticket. The prefilter will make it last for a l-o-n-g time. Napa has one . <br><br>I am sure a member will post the PART # for the BHAF. Mine came from a job.<br><br>Strong opinion? Yes. But think about it. <br><br>Michael
Old 02-20-2003, 08:25 PM
DPG

My BHAF is from NAPA, and their part number is 2790, if my memory is not failing me. I think that it is a big rig filter of some kind. You can check my member photos on page 8 to see the filter and the heat sheild that I use.

DeWain