Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Metal shavings in manifold

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal shavings in manifold

I have a really dumb question, I was wondering if it is necessary to remove the turbo when drilling the manifold for an egt probe. Is it necessary to remove the small metal particles left from drilling and tapping, I mean, most of the shavings are going to be on the outside, but there will be a few small ones left in the manifold, will they damage my turbo? Or should I take the turbo off and suck them out?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Use a pencil magnet and you can get most of it out. What you don't get will blow through.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:20 PM

Some people say yes and some so no. I don't think it's nessecary to do so. Just dip your bit in greese or some thing to hold onto the shavings and if there are any shavings after drilling use and extendable magnet to get the rest of the shavings out.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:23 PM

Drill the hole while you have the engine running, the exhaust pressure will blow any shaving out. Be sure and wear eye protection as the shavings really fly up fast and hard!

Doug Smith
Old 05-17-2006, 08:32 PM

Hopefully the guys who are telling you to leave the turbo on will pitch in for a new turbo if necessary.

Chances are you'll be fine, but it's still a gamble.

I'd recommend loosening the turbo and placing a piece of cardboard over the turbo's opening. After drilling, start the truck for a couple of seconds to blow the shavings out. Remove the cardboard and button her back up ... easy and safe!

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Banned

We took mine off. Rather be safe than sorry. It wasn't too bad, however, you can do it the other ways as well...
Old 05-17-2006, 08:49 PM

drilling in the manifold

I just put some thick grease on it where i was drilling and went slow, when I got through just used a pencil magnet and ran it down in there a bunch and kept wiping it off. It should deffenitly get all of it and wont affect your turbo at all. And drilling it while running also sounds like it would work good as well just have never tried it but it makes sense it having pressure on it the whole time wouldn't allow anything to enter.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:53 PM

I put grease on the tap. I would make a couple of turns then remove it and clean off the grease/metal. I then re greased it and went a little farther.

An old fabricator showed me that trick many years ago.

You can't go all the way with it in one run. You MUST go a little at a time and clean it off to keep the buildup down. Worked like a champ on mine and a friends. NO metal got into the manifold.

-Dave
Old 05-17-2006, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTSDave
I put grease on the tap. I would make a couple of turns then remove it and clean off the grease/metal. I then re greased it and went a little farther.

You can't go all the way with it in one run. You MUST go a little at a time and clean it off to keep the buildup down. Worked like a champ on mine and a friends. NO metal got into the manifold.

-Dave

Same here....
Old 05-17-2006, 11:09 PM

Oh, forgot to mention, I did it with the drill bit too. You must go slow enough not to get it hot enough to melt the grease. You must also stop and clean it off just like with the tap.

-Dave
Old 05-17-2006, 11:12 PM

Drilled mine with no grease and engine not running.

Metal shavings that fine go right out.
Old 05-17-2006, 11:31 PM

I think I'll drill almost all the way through, then use grease to finish off with and then use grease on the tap. Thanks for your help guys!
Old 05-18-2006, 08:56 AM

I didn't want to risk it. It's only 4 bolts and 5 minutes to pull the turbo back far enough...
Old 05-18-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTSDave
-Dave
I did it this way, for the first time recently .... repositioning probe. I did ,however do the tap in one operation. Also greased and cleaned the drill bit often. Worked ok (did not lock up the turbo,,, and no grinding noise) but I was surprised how many shavings I got on the magnet afterward the tap. All very small...but still???
This may say more about my skills than the method?

RJ

RJ
Old 05-23-2006, 12:31 AM

Ok, I did it, I drilled it with the engine running and tapped it with grease. I'll let you know if my turbo blows up. Although I'm sure it won't .

So far so good.

Quick Reply: Metal shavings in manifold