Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Mechanical Fuel Pressure gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mechanical Fuel Pressure gauge

ISSPRO GAUGE

Ok, I have a 02 Dodge Sport cummins with an S&B intake and a Edge EZ and 4" exhust and I have a set of meters in the A-piller from Isspro and they are the old crappy Machanical gauages... I got my Boost working shows about 20psi WOT, however, the fuel pressure is what iam having problems with it is the one with the Isolator box and there is anit-freeze in the line from the Issolator to the gauge, now the problem iam having is that I can't get a reading on the gauge i can blow into the line from under the hood and the meter moves and the pressure valve in the issolator moves when i start the motor... i have about 1psi on the gauge when iam driving... now i know this can't be the pump problem cuz the truck always works good and the pump was replaced at 150km and theres 220km on it now.
Just wondering if anyone knows anyhthing about these gauges on how to bleed them or what is wrong..?

Thanks for any help!
VJ
Edmonton AB.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:28 PM

Sounds like the isolater has gone south on you. I have a year old Isspro mech and it works great, but I have diesel going all the way to the gauge.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For a test just take the line straight to the gauge ( bypass the isolator ) Most dont bother with the isolators as they usually die from the IP pulses. As a safety precaution run a needle valve under the hood to dampen the pulses and to be a emergency shut off incase the line or gauge develops a leak. Do a search on FP gauges and be prepared to read for a while. On to your problem. Once you go direct to the gauge if the presure is still low sub in another gauge (any pressure gauge air,fuel,oil,boost it dosent matter) to confirm. My guess is your isolator is gone bad but I have seen LPs go less time than yours so I would be looking for answers sooner than later.
Old 06-13-2006, 07:35 PM

If there was a little air in the line would that effect it from not goin up.?
and how did you run the diesel to the gauge.? just with adaptors?
and what should i see on the gauge as in PSI..? i just have the stock pumps.
i guess i'll have to invest into a new isolator.... that what i get for buyin off e-bay i guess

THANKS
vj
Old 06-13-2006, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vj_M
If there was a little air in the line would that effect it from not goin up.?
and how did you run the diesel to the gauge.? just with adaptors?
and what should i see on the gauge as in PSI..? i just have the stock pumps.
i guess i'll have to invest into a new isolator.... that what i get for buyin off e-bay i guess

THANKS
vj

Air dosent matter pressure is pressure
I would want to see a pressure higher than 10psi at WOT
Save your money and just run direct to the gauge (with the needle valve of course) your new isolator will probably just fail again anyway. I used a SS braided line that Autometer sells fo NOS as I was afraid of just using the thin teflon line in the kits but thats what most guys are running with no problems.
Ohh yeah Welcome to the board!
Old 06-13-2006, 08:20 PM

Newbie here can anyone recommend a fuel pressure gauge { brand } and how to hook it up, mechanical or electronic which is the best on a stock ram 2500 ?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:23 PM

Not real sure on an 02 but on the 98 there is a port on the top of the fuel filter that is a standard 1/8 inch pipe fitting, I bought a schrader valve and all the fittings at Lowes, along with 1/4" fuel hose (1/4" because that is all I could find that was diesel rated).
Old 06-13-2006, 08:26 PM

here is a link to my gauge.

http://www.dieselmanor.com/isspro/r6..._fuelpress.asp
Old 06-13-2006, 08:34 PM

There is a schrader valve on the fuel line going to IP on mine ,i like the idea of a mechanical gage ,where to get one does NAPA have them ?
Old 06-14-2006, 12:26 AM

Hey VJ

Watch the event board, we Alberta boys have a get together coming up in Red Deer on the 8th or 9th of July.

There are enough gearheads and trucks there to give you lot's of ideas and different plumbing ideas for your FP guage.

Just forget the isolator all together and go striaght to the guage. More accurate and less hassle.

Jeff
Old 06-14-2006, 01:24 AM

Right on Jeff,
We might be there. where abouts in Red Deer does that take Place.? lol.. If iam not workin. hopefully will be rained out...Haahah.. we'll deffently Check that out..
Can't wait for the Aug. Black out here at BUdwiser park!!
later.
ps. about the gauge, do u really need the valve. I know it would be a good idea I guess, but i don't know how i would put that in there cuz it would only read the highest pressure on the gauge side right..? and can you use the stock plastic line that goes to the fuel gauge if i deside to run it stright to it..? or would it be a good idea to run a small braded fuel line.?

thanks
VJ
Old 06-14-2006, 01:44 AM

The needle valve should be used in case there is a leak in the cab or at the guage, you can shut off the fuel flow.

Braided stainless line is the best to use for safety. I use one and don't even give it a second thought anymore.

As for the meet, we usually meet at a local members shop in Red Deer. Keep an eye on the "Alberta boys" thread in the events board.

Jeff
Old 06-14-2006, 05:40 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
My 'crappy' mechanical Isspro Fuel Presure gauge has been working perfectly for 90,000 miles.

You might need to try a second gauge to make sure the gauge is bad.
It's not all that uncommon for a lift pump to go toes up at less than 50,000 miles. It seems they either last a couple of years, or die in 6 months.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:07 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blizz
Newbie here can anyone recommend a fuel pressure gauge { brand } and how to hook it up, mechanical or electronic which is the best on a stock ram 2500 ?
I have the Isspro's and I like them very much. Mechanical fuel pressure is the way to go. I did a lot of research here and decided against putting an isolator in-line that was bound to fail on me.
Do a search, there have been numerous threads and polls on who has had good experiences with what gauge, etc.
Here’s a good place for competitively priced gauge kits.
www.dieselmanor.com
Old 06-14-2006, 07:27 AM

Thanks guy's i trust the mechanical oil gauges never had one to spew yet , i just had new LP and the IP rebuilt { was a used truck } and the reason i think the IP failed was fuel deprivation.

Quick Reply: Mechanical Fuel Pressure gauge