Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

MBRP Sounds like a lawnmower?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBRP Sounds like a lawnmower?

I was originally intending to just put a 4'' MBRP Alum. system on my truck with an Edge EZ and an AFE filter, just cause I wanted a lil more " Umph" I dont want to go racing down the track or anything, just that nice little gain. But then I had someone tell me that the MBRP would make my truck sound like a lawnmower because it uses a glasspack style on the muffler and instead to go with the magnaflow, and then I was introduced to the Exhaust systems from Diesel Pro.net and I like the look of it, I downloaded the install video and it was all relatively easy looking, now can I get some Input? The " Umph" isnt a big deal, I want it to be loud, but not rattle the windows loud lol, Im only 17 and I dont need to have the Farm woken up! Heres some link to the stuff I was looking at....

http://www.dieselpro.net/dodge_cummins_price_list.php ( Diesel Pro 4" )

https://www.xtremediesel.com/index.a...ROD&ProdID=503 ( MBRP )

https://www.rpmoutlet.com/ezRetail/s...hp?msg_id=1101 ( Magnaflow )

Thanks for all the input!!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I don't how a CTD could ever sound like a lawnmower, unless of course you have a CTD powered lawnmower!! I have MBRP systems on both of my CTD's and IMO, they have the best sounding muffler, bar none. Anyone who would suggest that an MBRP muffler sounds like a lawnmower needs to have the bolts tightened in their neck or add more fibre to their diet because they obviously haven't actually heard what the MBRP system sounds like and instead, is making an assumption. The muffler is not a glass pack but rather packed with woven stainless strands - BIG difference in sound quality and the sound won't change throughout the life of the muffler. What you actually get is a deep, mellow big rig sound.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:19 PM

I'll put it this way... There is NOTHING you can do to the exhaust on a Cummins to make it sound like a lawn mower. The person who's informing you apparently has a hard-coded association (from inexperience or poor salesmanship I might add) between glasspack and 1.6 liter imports. The MBRP will sound fine... Tame at idle and throaty when you get on it.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:22 PM

But will an MBRP muffler make my mower sound like it has a CTD?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:03 PM

Listen to the mbrp for yourself https://www.xtremediesel.com/audio/S...es%20Video.wmv Dont sound too bad for a muffled system. I personnaly like my straight piper

This one is one of the better sounding clips ive found http://www.jannettyracing.com/media_...cclerate_2.mpg
Old 07-21-2005, 05:32 PM

I am very pleased with the Magnaflow system on mine, relatively calm at idle but roars when the loud pedal is smashed!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Banned

If your worried about a muffler making your CTD sound like a lawnmower then why don't you take the muffler out of the equation.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:15 PM

I just put on the MBRP system.

It sounds good, but is barely noticeable from inside the cab.

Outside it sounds a little better.

I might pull the muffler and go straight pipe.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never heard a straight pipe I like. They have all been high pitched and raspy sounding. Not deep like my Banks. Maybe it was because they were all factory exhausts with the muffler removed.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:10 AM

I'm the one that said that the MBRP sounds like a lawnmower. Thats my opinion. Too loud and raspy. It kind of reminds me of a set of cherry bombs on a gas V8. Thats where I get the whole lawnmower thing from.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:33 AM

I put the 4" MBRP on my truck a couple of weeks ago and my wife hated it.
I thought it sounded pretty good but she kept telling me it sounded like one of those ricers with a "fart muffler."
I didn't agree until she borrowed my truck and I got to hear it go by.
So, I pulled the muffler off and now it sounds like a semi and we are both happy.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:02 AM
Banned

chaos24valve,

We have been selling the MBRP systems since the day they built the first one, no lawnmowers here at all, check our site for sound bites, no Lawnboys or Toros at all! If you need references check the guys here, waaaay too many happy customers with them. Call us if you have any questions etc, we also have a GUARANTEED pricing policy too to save you money.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 07-22-2005, 08:05 AM

I like my MBRP system. At idle the truck is quieter. Get on the go peddle and it sounds much better. Not obnoxious in the cab and no drone.

~Rob
Old 07-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Man, I just don't know what to say about the "fart", "ricer", "lawnmower", too loud and too raspy comments??? I have had straight piped CTD's and couldn't stand the highway drone and the rsapiness outside of the truck. Too loud? Perhaps, for some, the MBRP is.....I don't find the MBRP muffler to be significantly quieter than a straight pipe.....straight pipes are the king of raspiness - I find the MBRP muffler removes most of it and creates a deeper tone.....and you don't get the straight pipe drone! I'll keep my MBRP mufflers.....still haven't heard anything that sounds better! And that is MY .02
Old 07-22-2005, 12:51 PM

Thanks for All the Input guys!

Quick Reply: MBRP Sounds like a lawnmower?