Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

MBRP 4" Install tips

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBRP 4" Install tips

Just put my 4" on last night and am all
I have an '02 quad cab, shortbed 4x4.
To remove the old system, you need a 13 mm socket to get the down pipe bolts out. I used about every extension in my tool box and came at them from the bottom, seemed easier than from the top (plus you don't have room for a breaker bar from the top, I needed one to get them loose). Next, I used sawzall and cut the system in two places, one between the muffler and the tail pipe and another between the down pipe and the muffler. Take a bunch of WD-40 and spray on the rubber hangers, this makes getting the stock pieces out much easier. Next up, put the new down pipe in. I lubed it up with every cuss word I knew. It will only go in one way, but it will go. I bolted it up loosely to get an idea of where it would be. After that, I hung the muffler and the new tailpipe. I then measured from the end of the down pipe to the input of the muffler and cut the remaining piece of pipe to length (the kit is for all cab configurations/wheel bases). I cut about 16 1/2" off for my truck (see above). I then unloosened the downpipe bolts and put the cut pipe inbetween the muffler and dowwpipe. This was the hardest part. The next hard part was getting the hanger that is on the down pipe in place (the one that slides in next to the tranny). The whole assembley had to be pulled back a bit to let the hanger slide in. A ratchet strap on the frame and the hanger helped pull it back far enough so that the hanger could be put into place. Next, I bolted up the downpipe (used a swivel joint on the socket this time) and installed the clamps. You will need a 9/16" deep-well socket for the the clamps.
Fired it up, checked for leaks and took it for a spin

Tools needed:
13 mm socket
9/16" deep-well socket
Lots of extensions
breaker bar
Sawzall
WD-40
Liberal amount of cuss words

~Rob
Old 04-30-2005, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you did it without a lift! How long did it take? End up denting the down pipe (like I did) to get it in?

Also sounds like you learned one of Mark Twains old lessons -
"In certain dire circumstances, cussing furnishes a relief......denied even to prayer"

RJ
Old 04-30-2005, 03:27 PM

I took about 4 hours or so (took a dinner break). Did not use a lift, just did it with the truck half in the garage and half in the driveway. I was doing it alone until the end. A buddy showed up and helped me get the last piece of pipe in place and held the down pipe so I could get the bolts in. One person can do it. Luckily, I did not dent the down pipe, didn't even dent my head rolling around underneath. Did notice the stock muffler had a huge dent in it. Wonder how that happened, as I have had the truck since new.

~Rob
Old 05-01-2005, 01:34 PM

My stock muffler had the dent as well. A factory gorilla must pound on it at assembly for clearance.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:51 AM

Strange, my muffler had a dent also when I removed it...hmm