Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Manual Tranny Input Shafts

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual Tranny Input Shafts

What are my options when it comes to hardened input shafts for my 5 speed? Eventually (six months) I'll be pushing ~600 horse when I give Rod my cash. ;D I know I'll need a dual disc clutch and I read on this forum that Peter doesn't recommend his SouthBend Dual Disc for pulling, so it'll probably be a Mitchell pulling clutch. The Mitchell's also sell a hardened shaft, but will Peter's 1.25" shaft work with Mitchell's clutch? It's cheaper, but I would like to see more of my options before talking with either vendor. I found ads on the net for "Advance Adapter's" input shaft, but it was only $200 so I'm guessing it's not hardened. So, any other hardened shafts that I need to consider for my NV4500 besides Mitchell's or SBC?

brandon. - Only gonna pull once, just to see what it does.
Old 10-24-2003, 11:43 AM

Re:Manual Tranny Input Shafts

[quote author=joefarmer link=board=7;threadid=21417;start=0#msg200885 date=1067013436]
What are my options when it comes to hardened input shafts for my 5 speed? Eventually (six months) I'll be pushing ~600 horse when I give Rod my cash. ;D I know I'll need a dual disc clutch and I read on this forum that Peter doesn't recommend his SouthBend Dual Disc for pulling, so it'll probably be a Mitchell pulling clutch. The Mitchell's also sell a hardened shaft, but will Peter's 1.25" shaft work with Mitchell's clutch? It's cheaper, but I would like to see more of my options before talking with either vendor. I found ads on the net for "Advance Adapter's" input shaft, but it was only $200 so I'm guessing it's not hardened. So, any other hardened shafts that I need to consider for my NV4500 besides Mitchell's or SBC?

brandon. - Only gonna pull once, just to see what it does.
[/quote]
It kinda sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I just plan on pulling a lil more than you. I have found that the hasiley clutch seems to be a really good clutch. They make three different DD clutches. one street DD a streetable DD pulling clutch and a sled pulling only clutch. they sell the imput shaft also but it is the same price.
http://www.haisleymachine.com/clutches.htm
DM01
Old 10-24-2003, 12:12 PM
Banned

The input shaft that VanHaisley, Enterprise, Southbend, and Piers have are all one in the same as far as I know, HD 1 3/8"

Input shaft:

EE DD Clutch:

BBD
http://scottsram.homestead.com/Motor.html
Old 10-24-2003, 12:19 PM

well talking to JVD eng. they said they make all their shafts by hand out of hardend steel or what ever they use so would that be the same company that makes the ones for EEP VH SBC P?
DM01
Old 10-24-2003, 12:57 PM

[quote author=BigBadDodge link=board=7;threadid=21417;start=0#msg200897 date=1067015522]
The input shaft that VanHaisley, Enterprise, Southbend, and Piers have are all one in the same as far as I know, HD 1 3/8"
[/quote]

Excellent information, thanks BBD, Dodgeman01!

When I talked with Rod @ Wildcat, he thought that maybe they had made enough of the shafts that the price was dropping. Would it be cheaper to buy from JVD? Or can you even buy direct? I'm also looking at installing the clutch myself. I've never tackled a clutch install before, but I have rebuilt my share of smaller projects (locking diffs, misc farm machinery). I reviewed Haisley's install instructions for the HMR street puller, it doesn't look that bad. Any other instructions on the 'net that I should read?

brandon.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:11 PM
Banned

[quote author=joefarmer link=board=7;threadid=21417;start=0#msg200928 date=1067018255]
[quote author=BigBadDodge link=board=7;threadid=21417;start=0#msg200897 date=1067015522]
[/quote]

Excellent information, thanks BBD, Dodgeman01!

When I talked with Rod @ Wildcat, he thought that maybe they had made enough of the shafts that the price was dropping. Would it be cheaper to buy from JVD? Or can you even buy direct? I'm also looking at installing the clutch myself. I've never tackled a clutch install before, but I have rebuilt my share of smaller projects (locking diffs, misc farm machinery). I reviewed Haisley's install instructions for the HMR street puller, it doesn't look that bad. Any other instructions on the 'net that I should read?

brandon.
[/quote]

I have ran every series clutch that Peter @ WWW.SouthBendClutch.com has made for the Dodge cummins. I have the DD comp puller. IT hooks!! Peter also has the best price on the billet 1-3/8" hardened CNC made shafts. His are made by a different manufacturer than the others. And you cant beat the customer service the SBC has. I had there street DD and it is very drivable. The install on the SBC street DD is simple as pie!! And the wife can drive it!!

J.R.