Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Manual shift performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manual shift performance

At the risk of hijacking another thread in this forum, I'm posting this under a new thread. For those that drag race the manual transmissions (my intended application):

Another thread mentioned a few tips on how to improve shift performance when drag racing a manual transmission truck.

One, speed shifting, which I learned the definition was "Launch truck, hold throttle to floor, stomp down and back off of clutch as fast as you can and shift at the same time....never let off of the throttle" (thanks to JKE).

Two, possibly a positive stop kit for the tranny (also info learned from JKE). I posed the question in that thread, but thought it best to open a new topic because I want lots of information. I found 2 things that this could be... one, a clutch stop that makes the clutch bottom out as soon as it's disengaged. http://www.geocities.com/marsfire0/clutchstop.html or two, shifter stops that 'capture' the throws of the actual shifter rod. http://www.steeda.com/instructions/Tri-AxT56.htm I'm not sure the clutch stop makes too much sense in our application, but this was the first that I've heard of a stop in the transmission helping with racing, so I could be way off base here. Does anyone that has a short shift kit have any more information?

TIA, I appreciate all the information.
brandon.

PS: before anyone posts, I do realize this is a truck and shifts like one.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Manual shift performance

The clutch stop depends on the factory clutch system.

There are other ways to adjust the actual disengagement point vs pedal travel. Especially on hydralic systems.

One other thing to look into is if there is a restrictor on the line from the clutch to the slave. These typically slow flow from the slave cylinder back to the master slowing the clutch engagement. Bypass it and it will engage faster.

The shifter stops one could add to an OE or aftermarket shifter just use a a bolt, a jam nut and tap a hole.