Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

manual locking hubs

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my front axle out and put in one from a 95 F-350. the swap was well worth it. I have a high pinion axle now, dual piston calipers, 35 spline shafts, serviceable bearings, locking hubs, etc... I picked up the axle for 800 bucks and ended up selling my old dodge 60 for 800 to a 1/2 ton guy that was swapping bigger axles into his truck. all I really had to buy was some coil brackets, custom brake lines, and shorten up my steering setup a few inches.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/414017/9

and if Im not mistaken, the ARB for the dodge 60 should go right into a ford 60. better check on it first though.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hayseed
That hub swab sounds like what the 3rd genners should be looking at. Every thing turning all the time !
And late model '02's!
Old 03-19-2007, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes I have an 2002.5 and it sucks , might pull the trigger on the EMS kit , I 'll be waiting foreveer for the org. hub to go , only have 30K miles on her . Anyone have the kit and what did ya use for the wheel covers on the front cut a hole in the factory ones or what ?????
Old 03-19-2007, 07:00 PM

I was looking into these kits and the axle swap myself but I am having trouble locating a dana 60 out of a ford. Does anyone know what year trucks to look at for donors?
Joe
Old 03-19-2007, 07:26 PM

if the ford axles were plentiful, from the price of the kits it might be cost effective to just do a swap. i'd appreciate a little more info from anyone who has done this. i thought the ford f350 used leaf springs up front so would this just include changing mounting of the spring positioners?
thanks
Old 03-19-2007, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by LanceD
I took my front axle out and put in one from a 95 F-350. the swap was well worth it. I have a high pinion axle now, dual piston calipers, 35 spline shafts, serviceable bearings, locking hubs, etc... I picked up the axle for 800 bucks and ended up selling my old dodge 60 for 800 to a 1/2 ton guy that was swapping bigger axles into his truck. all I really had to buy was some coil brackets, custom brake lines, and shorten up my steering setup a few inches.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/414017/9

and if Im not mistaken, the ARB for the dodge 60 should go right into a ford 60. better check on it first though.
I thought the air locker went by diff type,size and axel splines? because dont the axels go right into the locker? maybe im wrong (hopefuly im wrong). Where did you get the coil stuff? brackets for coils, shocks, controll arms. that whole mess. And how did you get them put on? my biggest problem is I cant weld. Custom break lines I guess were just to match the new caliper had diffrent attchment types? does the ford axel have the trac bar spot or does that bracket need to be swaped and what part of the steering did you shorten? lastly is the axel the correct width and pinion on the correct side or did you flip it over.
sorry for all the questions! thanks though for the input.
Chris
Old 03-19-2007, 10:07 PM

You can junk the CAD by using a solid axle shaft with the kit like you can get from lots of companys. I will have the kit as soon as I have the $$$. My 92 has lockout hubs and have had no probs at over 500K just checked and cleened a few times. If you need 4X4 you usualy know in advance so just get out and lock the hubs befor you get in the mud and unlock after your done.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Banned

Seems like the 1st gen design was stronger and more trouble free as well! My 93 has the original king pins tight as new, the 97 with half the mileage has been through 3 sets of ball joints and is due for another....2 from Dodge 1 from Moog.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Captain
I thought the air locker went by diff type,size and axel splines? because dont the axels go right into the locker? maybe im wrong (hopefuly im wrong). Where did you get the coil stuff? brackets for coils, shocks, controll arms. that whole mess. And how did you get them put on? my biggest problem is I cant weld. Custom break lines I guess were just to match the new caliper had diffrent attchment types? does the ford axel have the trac bar spot or does that bracket need to be swaped and what part of the steering did you shorten? lastly is the axel the correct width and pinion on the correct side or did you flip it over.
sorry for all the questions! thanks though for the input.
Chris
you are correct, the dodge fronts are 32 spline. my bad. the coil brackets I found on ebay. the guy had a bent Dana 44 from a 1/2 ton ram for sale for 50 bucks and I bought it and chopped the brackets off. shocks and control arms are the same. yeah, the brake lines had different fittings for the ford calipers. I welded them on myself. the track bar mounts are part of the coil bracket. I had to shorten both the tie rod and drag link. it is a driver side drop axle, and the width is about 3/4 inch shorter on each side, but I can't tell. the axle is from a 95 F350, but 92-97 are all the same I believe. before 92 had kingpins instead of balljoints and its a little harder to put the brackets on so they clear the kingpins.