Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Manifold roaster.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 12:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manifold roaster.........

I was under the hood yesterday, installing #6 manifold bolts ( that mysteriously dissappeared) and the DC TSB lock kit. Which, by the way is a PITA- but hopefully it will cure the issue. After I was done, I was kinda perusing the beauty of my Cummins when I noticed there were two 8mm threaded bosses in the top of the exhaust manifold. After reading a few posts regarding "under hood" cooking, I whipped out a sweet little tray on my brake that bolts to the manifold for heating up your tasty treats. Sheet metal, tig welded at the corners-swiss cheesed so the heat will rise into the tray.

Back in my dredging days, I'd throw my lunch under the hood and drive to my dredging spot. Well, the engine heated up and then kept the food warm enough, so's I could get a hot bite to eat for my lunch break.

Spose, it would work as a decent tool/bolt tray when your'e toolin under the hood as well.

Anyway, I've taken so much good info. from this forum-that I wanted to offer up a meager contribution.

Old 10-14-2006, 12:41 PM

Right on

If you pack a mini fridge too you could have hot eats and cold drinks anywhere
Old 10-14-2006, 12:44 PM

Ingenious - I allus used a roll of alum-foil, and hoped the prop-wash wouldn't blow it off onto the roadway.

Be just my luck to get a litterin' ticket...................
Old 10-14-2006, 01:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So how many miles at 70mph does it take to cook a turkey on Thanksiving?
Old 10-14-2006, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by gmctd
Ingenious - I allus used a roll of alum-foil, and hoped the prop-wash wouldn't blow it off onto the roadway.

Be just my luck to get a litterin' ticket...................

I'm figurin, most stuff I'd want to shove into my mug is gonna be heavy enough that it won't blow/bounce outta the tray. Will give it a road test today, were driving down to my oldest boys house to have a little get together for the last Nextel nite race. I'll toss a chimichanga in there frozen, and see what happens after 55 miles on hwy.

It'll get wrapped in foil for sure.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:19 PM

Nah - that neat roaster shouldn't give you any trouble at all.

A couple extra holes fer a tie-wire would be no biggie, if required - rotisserie might need a little more effort, tho.

Good idea - might build similar for my truck.
Old 10-14-2006, 03:44 PM

You could get a patent and call it the "Hot Dodger"

You know like the "hot dogger" for snowmobiles!

or call it the "Cummins Cooker"
Old 10-14-2006, 04:01 PM

I used to do that for years in my 4 wheeling days.

After a few trips you got to know how long for hot dogs, soups, bacon and such. It does work very well when you get it figured out.

Our most favorite was to hit a Subway or that kind of place first thing in the morning. Toss whatever you got on the intake manifold and away we went. By lunch time or so, it was perfectly heated.

Now, this was on a gasser V8 with things put on the intake manifold. Our CTD's would be a little warmer over the exhaust manifold.

Wonder how long it takes to cook a hot dog at 1300 deg exhaust temp?

That's an awesome idea Vorra!! I'm tempted to get you to bend one up for me.

Jeff
Old 10-14-2006, 04:20 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing I could see it not working is for us who have our exhaust mani drilled an tapped for a pyro we would have to have a strategically place whole to slip it over the thermo coupler.
Old 10-14-2006, 04:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now if you ran on WVO and put used peanut oil in the crankcase and put the breather tube over there....

you could slice some potatoes and put a burger in there and have yourself a burger and fries!

Nice welds though...looks good!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:25 PM

Sweet idea, and an awsome job on making the box. You do good work. Now you need to incorpeorate a duel pyrometer/oven-temp gauge so you don't burn your dinner on those long grades .
Old 10-15-2006, 12:23 AM
CJ

Think a guy could rig a rotisserie off of the crank shaft? Keep your egt's up and you could cook a turkey in no time.
On the serious side, I think that is an awsome idea.
CJ
Old 10-15-2006, 12:39 AM

Thats pretty sweet. I have thought about that before. Might want to go easy on the pedal though, as I dont imagine it will take much to overcook at 1000* plus

Eric
Old 10-15-2006, 03:25 PM

Inital test worked fine. After 57 miles of 55-75 mph, with very little stop and go. The chimi was perfect, warm throughout, but yet not to hot to immediately eat. I had wrapped it in 2 layers of tin foil, and it was frozen when I tossed it in the tray. I'm thinkin, thawed food would cook even better.

I'm sure that EGT's are much higher than actual manifold temperature-gas vs. a solid and such. Looking forward to many more cruisin/culinary endeavor's.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Banned

That is a pretty cool idea.

Steve

Quick Reply: Manifold roaster.........