Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

manifold

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2004, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manifold

I have a cracked exhaust manifold on my 99 dodge diesel. I"m looking at and ats three piece. Is this the way to go? Will i leak at the joints? will in increase Power? I just would like some input before i spend over $460 on a new manifold.

thanks

dan
Old 08-20-2004, 08:58 PM

Thats realy your only bet besides a new oem unit. The ATS manifold is a very nice unit with expansion joints to eliminate cracking and allowing the manifold to flex as it cools. Will lower egts with mild porting ive heard. -Jake
Old 08-20-2004, 09:26 PM

On my rig the ATS didn't seem to reduce EGT's much and I didn't notice much of an improvement in spool up, but it could just be me. However I must say that the difference between the ATS and the stocker is night and day. I couldn't recommend replacing your current manifold with the same thing, you will just end up with the same problem. With the ATS, nothing to worry about. I hear that putting them together is a bear though, do a search to get an idea of what you are getting yourself into. I still wholeheartedly recommend it however.
Mishkaya
Old 08-20-2004, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My sons 94 has the ATS and it works well. You basically have three pieces there that seem to work very well as far as expansion and contraction and they fit together very tightly so you have no leakage, or atleast on his anyway. I haven't put one on my 99 yet but only because the stocker is still functioning properly. If it ever goes, I will definately go with the ATS.
Old 08-21-2004, 11:05 PM

Setting them up is real easy. Take off the old manifold. Get some approprate sized bolts and bolt the center section of the ats to the old maniflod, face to face, align it good.

Put your antisieze on the joints liberally and then drive the ends in to align with the old manifold and slip a bolt in to hold it while working on the other end.

With both ends assembled, take it apart and the ats will simply bolt up to the engine.
Old 08-22-2004, 06:23 PM

Why won't headers work on a Diesel?
Old 08-22-2004, 06:42 PM

Price out a new stocker, and the decision becomes pretty easy.

I changed too many things on my 99 when I added the ATS to really be able to tell you what difference it alone would have made. Do yourself a favor and spend some time with your (soon to be new ) ATS and Dremel before you put it on.

Matt
Old 08-22-2004, 07:09 PM

i did the ats three piece along with the aurora 3000 turbo and WOW .the truck is much faster,louder,and runs cooler. there is a new exhaust note after it all that really sounds unique.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:42 PM

I bought an Ats manifold from Extreme diese performce for $437 shipped. shoule be here in three days. hope this is a good investment.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:58 PM

I got my Ats manifold today, Only One piece of it!!!! Somebody took two of the three piece out of the box at some point in time. The guys at Extreme diesel seem to helping me out. there sending the other two pieces today and i won't get at least till tuesday, Wish i wouldn't have taken the truck all apart. I need the truck for the weekend so i guess i'm welding up my old one tonight.
Old 09-03-2004, 08:47 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Rattle:

I saw a custom header at a local shop getting the finishing touches put on it. It was port matched to a heavily ported head. All tubes were equal length and had alot of very fancy bending to acheive this. It was going on a twin setup. They claim the primary turbo could now be larger because spool up speed had gone through the roof because the header flowed so much better.
They were hoping for some big EGT drops and more even heating between cylinders. It looked awesome and I bet it would perform as well.
Old 09-03-2004, 06:55 PM

Why dont u have her welded up? Or do it yourself if u can weld. Thats wut im guna do on my manifold, its got a crack in it too. I bought some cast iron weldin rods an im in the process of takin my manifold off right now
Old 09-03-2004, 07:20 PM

Welding doesn't hold up, they expand and contract to much for a weld to hold. It'll just crack worse in a couple months.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:20 PM

just wait for the rest of your manifold.
I love the one ive got.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:43 AM

DPU Headers

Diesel Performance Unlimited here in Pasco builds and sells headers. They are close to equal length. The way the bolt up you have to clock the turbo on the exhaust side because their header enters the turbo vertically. This gave them more room to get the equal length and hit the turbo entry without using sharp angles. Pretty clever.

They sell a bracket to mount to the engine block to help support the header so you can run large turbos. They've sold quite a few of them and only 1 has cracked so far.

The kit is $750. There's no website for them but their No. is 509-546-9997.

Vaughn