Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Making list of trucks with shudder/surging

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Making list of trucks with shudder/surging

If your truck has what seems to be TC shudder or the truck surges in OD around 45-50 mph, please join the list. I would like to see what mods everyone has. This surge on my truck is driving me crazy and I've done about all the possible fixes. And if you have corrected your problem, add the info to the thread. It seems there are a lot of 2001 trucks with this problem. I've done searches but thought it would be nice to have all on one thread so we can compare.
Thanks in advance,
Gene
Old 10-19-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll join the club. I just recently put my truck back to stock programming since I can't afford a new trans right now. I did put some Lucas trans slip in and it made some difference but not much. Maybe I should tighten the bands?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Banned

Only time mine would shudder is with all of the boxes turned on. It did do the lock/unlock dance but a piece of aluminum foil fixed that problem.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:54 PM
RAF

My 99 shudders when I get on it.
As far as the surging I get the TC lock/unlock about every 3 months or so and just do an APPS reset.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:13 PM
Banned

I take that back. With the boxes turned off mine will now shudder.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:33 PM

Well I just ran the wires and lock up switch. Didn't make any difference at all. Still surges at 45-50 mph with light pedal. I talked to DTT, reset the voltage on the TPS/APPS. Set it a little high in an attempt to make the tranny not go into final lock up until traveling a little faster, set it a little low just for the heck of it, set it just right. I am pulling out the few hair I have left on my head. Does anyone have any ideas for keeping the TC from final lock up till higher speeds are reached.
It maybe just the engine lugging at that speed with hardly any pedal down. But it is getting worst

Gene
It seems there were a few more with similar problems
Old 10-19-2006, 07:18 PM
JIT

Put me down too! I aint no fortune teller but I see an upgraded tranny in my future!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Gene007
Well I just ran the wires and lock up switch. Didn't make any difference at all. Still surges at 45-50 mph with light pedal. I talked to DTT, reset the voltage on the TPS/APPS. Set it a little high in an attempt to make the tranny not go into final lock up until traveling a little faster, set it a little low just for the heck of it, set it just right. I am pulling out the few hair I have left on my head. Does anyone have any ideas for keeping the TC from final lock up till higher speeds are reached.
It maybe just the engine lugging at that speed with hardly any pedal down. But it is getting worst

Gene
It seems there were a few more with similar problems
gene cant you just use the od switch and wait till 55-60mph to engage it.
my truck would do this with the smarty on SW#9, just like you said 45-50mph with out using the od switch.
on fuelsaver it does not do it at any speed.

brian
Old 10-19-2006, 08:19 PM

I personally dont think that it is a Dodge problem, i think it is the "auto" tranny in all vehicles instead problem. I have a 97 Ford Ranger 4x4 that i use for work, and it does the same exact thing while driving at 45-50 mph with the converter locked up, it even does it in third gear with the converter locked up at around 40mph. I think its just the converter not knowing whether it wants to be locked or unlocked, its just kind of dancing around. I also have a 1990 Toyota 4runner auto that does the same exact thing. My old ladies 02 Jeep grand Cherokee does the same exact thing at these speeds. My buddies 97 chevy Silverado does the same thing at these speeds. I think it just an auto trannys way of life, at least from my experiences. With the Dodge, and my ranger, i just ride around with the OD shut off untill i reach speeds of 55mph or greater, then turn it on and i have no problems. Just my .02
Old 10-20-2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by CTD2001
... I think it just an auto trannys way of life, at least from my experiences. With the Dodge... i just ride around with the OD shut off untill i reach speeds of 55mph or greater, then turn it on and i have no problems. Just my .02
I have always felt the same.... it's just a confused electronic tranny under light load conditions. With 35" tires I lock out OD till 60 mph.

But many have had a problem that HAS been solved by cleaning all contacts, redoing the PCM Ground, adding DTT noise reducer or just resetting the APPS.
Makes me think all the above are good ideas.... certainly can't hurt!

RJ
Old 10-20-2006, 02:09 PM

Mine will surge some when towing at lower speeds, between 35 and 50, when you can't go faster due to traffic or whatever. You either have to rev it to make it drop a gear, or shift it to second gear.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:02 PM

yup I'll join in too just realized this thread was here while reading through.it kinda makes my tranny blues thread usless .OOPS!!! i have to try some more things now that i have read this. i will update when i try them this weekend.

thanks gene007: i am gonna try setting my voltage higher.
Old 10-28-2006, 10:41 PM

Me too. Noticed it most after replacing the output speed sensor after a P0720 code. Light load in a 40 mph zone it does the dancing thing. I just assumed it was confused on what it wanted to do.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:29 AM

I did the APPS reset today and it seems to have cured my problem - no more surging / hunting / shifting up and down. Tried it two times - no problem both times.

Note that I did the battery cable disconnect - key on for 30 minutes with neg cables disconnected - key off - connect batteries - key on -not to start - pedal slowly to floor then slowly back up - as outlined elsewhere on this forum.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:17 PM

Tranny woes

I'll join too. With the OD off, mine just does it between 30-35 (or so). With OD on, it happens between 45 and 52, just like eveybody elses.
If I disconnect the batteries for a half hour or so, the problem goes away for 1 to 3 weeks, then comes back. That's telling me it's an electronic control issue, not a tranmission mechanical issue. One of these days I'm going to spend the money on the factory books, and (possibly) set up a manual override, if I can't find a fix for this. Until then, I just disconnect the batteries every couple weeks.

Last edited by Grider Pirate; 11-14-2006 at 10:19 PM. Reason: clarification

Quick Reply: Making list of trucks with shudder/surging