Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Making 400 'smoke free' HP with a 12 valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Making 400 'smoke free' HP with a 12 valve

Ok guys, got my 97 dyno'd last weekend, it put down 326 hp, with only a #11 plate, BHAF, and dynomax muffler. I did slide the plate a small bit forward. It has very little smoke at WOT, and I will play with it to get the lowend smoke down. My question is, what can I do to get to 400, without tons of smoke? I'm picking up a clutch for it around 4th of July, and then I can get into more. I've been looking around, and can't seem to come up with a decent combo. I looked at New Era's site, and noticed they have 300 injectors for a reasonable price. Do you think that those, in combo with moving the plate, getting a GSK, and upgrading to a 35/40 hybrid would get me the power, without smoke? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2007, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow thats preaty good if thats all you have into it,hmm I'm wondering how much power I'm making now??
Old 06-15-2007, 12:56 PM

I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. This is all I was told as far as mods, I've only had the truck 2 weeks, and haven't put anything on it.

On EDIT: Forgot to mention that the previous owner had the timing bumped to 15 degrees.
Old 06-15-2007, 01:33 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smoke free 400 hp? Not my ride and I haven't crested that yet.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Banned

man, those 215 pumps must react so much to just a fuel plate compared to the smaller pumps, if just a 11 plate is all u have that got you 326hp. I'm pretty curious what mines putting down because ive done some 4th gear roll on's with smaller quick cars and put some length on them, but i'd still like some more power on the top end.
Old 06-15-2007, 06:42 PM

Apparently they do react pretty good to plates. I'm just looking for that little extra now. 400/1000 is my goal, and not much over that. Which clutch should I look into for that?
Old 06-15-2007, 07:24 PM

Hey Kas what did you make for torque??
Old 06-15-2007, 08:12 PM

Torque wasn't reading correctly, the display showed over 900 at one point, but was wrong. After the runs, I talked with Jason there, and he said he was confident it was making in the 850lbft area. I tend to believe the guy seeing as he does this stuff day in and out.

Previous owner put down 313/666 in 02 with it, I have those graphs at home in the truck, that was a dyno in Texas. And for those that might think the numbers are way off, IIRC Bobcat698's trucks put down 569hp and 376hp. His 98 obviously being the higher number. I remember coming up the road as that truck was just finishing, smoke!
Old 06-15-2007, 10:12 PM

Airflow is what you need for smoke free power. A cam and some head porting will help through out the rpm range. If you're going for clean top end, then a turbo should suffice. My SPS62 is smoke free on the top end, and it feels stronger than the HX35, which worked to 376hp. Smoke is increased down low. Thats 24v junk, though.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:33 PM

Seems that no two people agree on what Smoke Free really is so......
I have had both a vp twin turbo truck and this current p-pump truck with twins and both are pretty clean in the upper rpms but the p-pump can do low boost smoke like no other animal I've seen. Do you mean reg driving smoke free or at WOT? I doubt a 35/40 would clean up 400hp and be smoke free.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:57 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNAcwY_tn0I

There is the dyno run. You'll see what I mean with the lowend smoke, and clean up top. I'd like to clean up the low end, and have it just like it is uptop with more power. I understand that being a 12valve it will be difficult, but I'm willing to try.

Hope that vid helps out to tell you what I'm looking for.

And as far as regular driving and WOT, what's the difference? I like the power, and tend to use it often. On a serious note, if it's clean while just running around town and not punching it, I'd be happy. I just don't want to smoke everyone out when I get into it good. I've said it before, rolling smoke now and then is neat, but I want a fairly clean running truck.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Banned

Well diesel power will usually mean some smoke no matter what. Turbo's need a moment to spool so they can't clear it all like they do up top. U could adjust ur starwheel back alittle and see if that helps. Theres also a smoke screw on the back of the AFC. But power usually means some soot no matter what truck u have
Old 06-16-2007, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Box5
Well diesel power will usually mean some smoke no matter what. Turbo's need a moment to spool so they can't clear it all like they do up top. U could adjust ur starwheel back alittle and see if that helps. Theres also a smoke screw on the back of the AFC. But power usually means some soot no matter what truck u have

I understand that. I know that I will never get a completely smoke free truck. It runs very clean now, and I would like to keep it that way. A light haze is fine, belching black smoke is not. I know of two vids over on puredieselpower.com that showcase what I mean. I have both the vids at home on my computer. Search out Garrett's first ever pull, if I could get that amount of smoke, with 400 hp, I would be overjoyed. I will just play with the AFC to get the lowend minimzed. By saying that I want no smoke, I guess was misleading. Sorry for that.

http://www.puredieselpower.com/Videos/gsmich.avi

I hope he doesn't have a problem with me linking this. It's the only example I can think of. Like I said, I'll play with it to minimize the lowend smoke.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:35 AM

I guess what I'm looking at is: Can I get the extra 75hp, and still have a clean burning truck? There will be trade offs, but can it be done? Thanks.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:52 AM

im not sayin the it isnt possible but i dynoed my truck 97 5 speed with a 0 plate and intake and it made 264hp and 785 tq on a mustang dyno but i could be losing some power through the clutch

Quick Reply: Making 400 'smoke free' HP with a 12 valve