Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Makin' some changes

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Tiny, I'm putting new wheels and tires on the truck. I'm not big into off roading anymore. If your looking to sell the center lines let me know.
Topper
Old 06-26-2005, 05:15 PM

Hey Guys,
Well I put 400miles on my 2nd tank of fuel and the results are awesome! The only change I've made is the Edge EZ. Now the first tank full was down to about 16mpg due to the fact I was into the foot feed all the time playing. Now the power is awesome but when ya run the thing easy it gets good mileage as well. I just took a ride with my family up to Blue Mountain Lake up in the Adirondacks and I got 20.5 mpg. Now with that said I need to tell ya I put 100 miles in town and 300 on Rt 30 up and back. I wasn't babying the truck a bit I ran about 62-65mph when I could. If you have ever been on RT30 in the summer time you'll know what I mean. There are cars, trucks and campers every where. I did alot of passing when I could. Well I haven't had any trouble with the Edge EZ but I have had alot of fun. Tomorrow (Monday) The new exhaust should be here so I'll install that on Tuesday. I'm running down to Kingston tomorrow so I'll report my highway fuel mileage Monday night.
Later,
Topper

Old 06-28-2005, 06:28 PM

Hey Guys,
Well I went down to Kingston Monday and Tuesday 413 miles total. I had about 1000lbs of equipment in the truck both trips. I used 20.3 gals of fuel. That's 20.34 mpg. I think that is awesome. I ran 70mph and the tach stayed real close to 2000 rpms. I would say that my mileage went up by about 1-2 miles per gal. with the Edge EZ and the truck runs a whole bunch better. My exhaust is in a UPS hub here in New York. It was supposed to be delivered on the 24th and it still isn't here.
I'm looking for a good set of gauges but I'm not sure what to get. I like the 3 gauge pod that mounts on the A piller. Is there a set up that everybody likes or thinks is better then the rest? Also where's the best place to get a complete setup?
Thanks,
Topper
Old 06-28-2005, 06:51 PM

sounds good... that's about what I was getting before the injectors
Old 06-28-2005, 07:42 PM

What about after the injectors?
Topper
Old 06-28-2005, 08:53 PM

depends on how I drive it.... DD3's are pretty big and not real fuel-efficient due to their design/manufacturing process.... my EZ is always on #3(KILL) and with those injectors, you have to be gentle to mild on the throttle to keep the mosquito repellant down. I wouldn't trade it for the the world though... it's a different type of power... the injectors are always there and the truck is much more responsive than with the EZ alone.

I've never had a real chance to put in on the freeway, set the cruise and go for a few hundred miles... It should get pretty comparable, probably a little lower, mileage but it's the daily stop and go that I do that has the most effect on the mileage. It doesn't help that there are quite a few folks around here that always want a piece of a 'big, slow diesel'... Powerstrokes and Duramaxes all around her as well.... around town I'm in the 15-16 range... I've pulled sub 15 tanks if I've really been on the skinny pedal.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:33 PM

Hey Guys,
Well my friendly UPS guy came today and dropped off my new exhaust system... I knew by the look on his face things weren't good! He said I got something that looks like parts to a exhaust system. When he opened the back of his truck I saw what looked like a box that was drug down the road with a long rope. He stayed while I cut through all the tape that the UPS hub put on the remaining box and when it looked like all the pieces were there he said good luck and left. I cut the old system off in a hurry and started bolting on the new pieces. It didn't take very long to realize that this was going to be a long day. The fit up was tough, the ends of the pieces were bent and when the pieces were cut no clean up to the ends of the pipe was done so not only did I have to straighten all the ends I also had to file each piece. The pipe itself is pretty nice Aluminized 14gauge steel not 16 gauge like most of the other systems that I looked at. The hooks lined up pretty good with the factory hangers. When I got to the tail pipes that was another head scratcher. This system come with no instructions so ya got ta kinda try and figure out what goes where. I called RPM Outlet and they where about useless. They sure don't know anything about customer service! I have a whole fab shop here and I used just about all of it to get this system on the truck without hitting the frame and break lines getting around the anti lock break valve was interesting. They also didn't supply any hangers or hooks for the left side of the truck. (I guess they may have fallen out of the box when they were draggin' it). Now with that off my chest the system does sound great. It seems like the turbo is even loader. It spools up nice! In the cab at 70,80,90 mph there is no apprecatable drone. Its loud enough that it gets plenty of looks. All in all I would buy the system again but I will never buy anything from RPM OUTLET. I'll report if fuel mileage changes at all.
Topper
Old 07-08-2005, 06:55 PM

Hey Guys,
Well like I said, I put the Edge EZ on the truck and have had great results with it. I did get beat by a New Duramax though. We were even out of the hole and when I hit second I pulled on him about 1/2 a truck but when I hit 3rd he pulled on me and I know he would have gotten by me. We were coming into a residental area so we both backed off. I have also installed the new 4" duels. The thing sounds sweet and it's holding up well after about 2500 miles. I think the fuel mileage is about 1/2 mile per gallon better. I have gotten worse mileage most of the time because I'm into it all the time. I should have the new injectors pretty soon so I'll let ya know how that Plays out.
Topper
Old 07-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Banned

I know with a 2" leveling kit and 315/75/16's on a 16x10 wheel the rub was absolutely horrible. With 305's with and without a leveling kit I rubbed pretty good on the lower control arm with stock wheels. 10" wide wheels are gonna rub pretty badly.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:35 PM

from 235/85/16 to 285/75/16 lost about 2 mpg.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:01 PM

Hey Guys,
Well time for another update. I got the new wheels and skins on the ol'girl. She looks GREAT! The ride is much improved also. Now for the important part it still has a good pull at the light and the fuel mileage hasn't gone way down. In town the mileage did drop a bit about 1 mpg but on the highway it actually improved a little bit. The speedo is off about 8%. I ran the same loop that I make almost daily 103 miles to work each way. 412 miles 2 days and 19.8 gals of fuel. Not bad for 305's @ 72-75mph 1900-2000 rpms.
Topper