Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Major Help Needed - Trany Related

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 05:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Major Help Needed - Trany Related

Well Im refinanceing the home and I Rolled my '02 TRUCK PAYMENT over on top of my house so it's going to take me 20 years to pay the CTD off @ like $56 a mth compared to $500

Now I want my CTD to last as long as it possibly can And I know about trany woes and Id like to prevent these I'll be going to a trany shop in ohio that has expirence with CTD I dont know jack about tranys so I'm bummed here.

Ill be able to get the cash thats needed to do this threw my refinance .

Ive learnt that what people do to the auto is TORQUE CONVERTER AND DELIVERY VALVES.

The place I'm going to has SUNCOAST torque converters and they make there own delivery valves due to what I want ..I'm not sure what I want.

I want it to be able to drive around town and on highway I want to be able to pull a transfer sled in the future and Im going to put a box of some sort on it Im not sure what HP I want Its mostly a daily driver so I dont want to go nuts here I really just want it to be reliable as it can be. I also want it to shift in to gear faster it sort of pauses when it shifts.

What should I do ??

I heard people say I'll be in OD before I reach 35 MPH Im not sure how to react to that it sounds cool but Im not sure if thats something you want to do every day

the shop also metioned changeing the shift points in the computer

Im lost here help please

DM[COLOR=red]
Old 10-12-2004, 06:04 PM
Banned

A full built Suncost should do just fine for ya. I wouldn't do just a torque converter and valve body if you plan on sled pulling and adding a box.
Old 10-12-2004, 06:06 PM
Banned

What else is there,, BB
Old 10-12-2004, 06:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, being in OD early can be very good, provided you are in the ideal powerband when it happens. Also, I think you are referring to the Valve Body, not Delivery valves. Rebuilt trannies with good solid performance parts have typically firmer, faster shifts and may feel harsh compared to stock. It usually much better for the transmission, since the slipping that gives a smooth ride and transmission through gears is what builds heat and toasts internals.

Be upfront with the shop about your wants! If you are dead set on super long longevity, I wouldn't pull sleds. Why? Because you might become addicted, and want to pull more and heavier! Seriously, I am not up on what needs to be done for your needs, but a reputable shop with CTD experience should be able to help you out.

I must say, I reread your first sentence like three times before I figured it out. I had pictures in my head of you wiping out with your truck, flattening your house!
Old 10-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Banned

I read it that way to and was going to add a note

I said I knew nothing about tranys its called valve body not delivery valves what are delivery valves any way??

Ive pulled trucks before and There alot of stock tranyed autos that pull around here I figgered if I had any trany work it'd be able to do it no swet am I wrong??

I wonder what I can say I want what are my choises
a transfer puller??
a daily driver ??
is that it .is this how this is going to work ??

also there are many stock autos that have a box on em' Im sure valve body and torque converter would be plenty to handle it if the stockers can do it .am I wrong??

Thanks
DM
Old 10-12-2004, 07:16 PM

DM, that took me a while to understand too. hey, now there's $444 per month to spend on mods!

i do NOT recommend just a valve body and torque converter. you can still only go so far with the pressures. you need the update kit that contains upgraded internals. plus you'll get more clutches in the clutch packs when rebuilt. All of the transmissions can be set up to what you want...firm, harsh, light shifts, "tight" or more "loose" converter, etc.

call up Bill at www.dieseltrans.com. even if you don't want a DTT, he'll help you. you can also go to www.atsdiesel.com and www.suncoast.com.

www.scheiddiesel.com has three shops in illinois and indiana, you could stop by or talk to them too.

anyways, delivery valves are in the 12valve and 24valve motors. they are little valves after the injection pump (before the fuel lines that go directly to the injectors). they prevent secondary injections. the fuel creates waves in the fuel lines when the injector slows down its injections. that "wave" can go from the injector, back to the delivery valve/injection pump, and then back to the injector again. that second wave of fuel could cause the injector to pop off when you don't want it to. that's why bigger delivery valves are smokier.

Tom
Old 10-12-2004, 09:27 PM
Banned

Ive been doing a little research and I really dont want to do no more than I have to my trany seems fine right now I really dont want to get it rebuilt I just want it beefed up a little and to shift like it means it ...is a rebuild required to accomplish this?? cant they just pull it back and throw in some steriods or something?? It dont make much sence to get a good trany with less than 35,000 miles on it rebuilt.

still lost
DM
Old 10-12-2004, 09:46 PM

dont be cheap!been there,done that,,wasnt pretty!you WILL pay in the end!
Old 10-12-2004, 09:51 PM
Banned

Is the ATS triple lock better than the suncoast??
Old 10-12-2004, 10:07 PM
Banned

I have the ATS stage V in mine now after the stage IV, and have the triplelok and commander. Every manufacturer has their claims to fame. I have had absolutely no regrets with ATS. Converters are excellent IMHO. Can't speak for the others, but when this thing locks up...wow a real snapper........no slidin' into lock-up. I set mine to lock up at 12 mph......between 1st and second usually, really helps acceleration and towing is a dream without the stall, though alot lower than the factory converter. Lock-up is allowed in all gears up and down, and it'll hold the juice from a brake with NO slippage, no matter the load.

Clint and his crew are top notch. Had a small glitch in the stage IV and without batting an eye sent me a brand new one before I even got the old one boxed up.....sight unseen, that's when I upgraded to the stage V, due to my HP goals. THAT is A1 customer service, which is huge factor when buying a $4,000 - $5,000 powertrain!!

Lots of folks build a good trans/conv, but parts do fail with no fault of the builder occasionally. I can't speak for the others, but ATS has gone over and above to back their products. Most would've wanted the trans back, gone through it, determined warrantability, then fixed it if it was indeed deemed warrantable.

My $.02
Old 10-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Banned

http://www.dieseltrans.com./dodge/torque_convertor.htm

says a torque converter does the following........................

30-40 percent more power transfer-- great thats safer than a box for right now and when I want a box Ill have the trany that can hold it ......if it is 30 percent HP gain Id be Giddy thats like a dual bomb helping the truck and making me smile

100 degrees less heat---less heat is better dont tow much so not a real big deal right now

1-2 MPG Fuel economy improvement----this is cool anything is better than nothing

Better torque multiplication and fluid coupling----sounds fancy

Increased transmission life ---the #1 reason Im doing THIS

Do they just pull out my factory whipy TC and put in the bombed TC??
Old 10-12-2004, 10:15 PM
Banned

Any top end converter will do all of the above.........lower stall, lower heat, more mpg, better power. And longer trans life is the result of the improvements.

The ATS is expensive, but you get wght you pay for in diesel performance and I wouldn't look back at all.

Just a converter alone will drasticly improve things. But for full potential of any quality converter, valve body modifications are necessary, as well as a converter clutch controller. The more often you can drive in lock-up, the more the trans will love you for all the listed reasons. Factory PCM programming really doesn't utilize full converter potential, especially an aftermarket one. And clutch pack counts are important. The overdrive direct clutches are a weak link, let alone the overdrive clutches, in factory trim, what it boils down to is money. Get it overwith and be happy down the raod, or double buy and save a little jingle along the way. It all depends on your intentions with your truck. Most won't stop at a simple modification.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:21 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
If you are concerned with saving money I'd say stay away from power adders! They are addictive, you will need more power tomorrow and they will break and wear stuff.
On a stock engine and trans I'd say that you could keep some $$$ on the side for when the tranny needs to be prepped up, but now just pressure test it and go from there.
Proper adjustment of the bands and the TV cable are also very important for tranny life.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 10-13-2004, 02:28 PM
Banned

AlpineRAM

I repect your opinon being that your all over the DTT Trany forums

The thing is I'll have the $$ now ,,not sure if I will when it goes south so I want to make it better now . Im not getting the trany rebuilt Im just want a better torque converter so my stocker dont blow threw my trany.

SUNCOAST SINGLE LOCK TORQUE CONVERTER
VALVE BODY
SHIFT KIT
$ 1550.00 INSTALLED

This should make her stronger and keep me from pulling my hair out when I start to make it smoke.

Is this a good set up???
Old 10-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Banned

Looks good to me. I'd look into the triple lock converter though. A little extra now will help in the long run.

Quick Reply: Major Help Needed - Trany Related