Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Mag Hytec problem....

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mag Hytec problem....

I purchased a Mag Hytec Dana 60 Diff cover for my truck back in April of 2002. I installed it on my truck and filled it with some Mobil1 synthetic gear oil. Everything was just fine. Fast forward to this weekend. I went to change the fluid, and the drain plug will NOT budge. This thing is only supposed to be tightened to 30 INCH/lbs! We ruined a couple of high quality (Craftsman etc.)allen wrenches in the process. (they twisted like a screw)
The drain plug came from Mag Hytec already installed in the cover, and I NEVER tightened it or tried to remove it until this weekend. (first fluid change since install)
I am pretty PO'd because a paid good money for this cover so that I could easily change the fluid, and I ended up having to remove the cover just like a stock one... > >
I tried calling Mag Hytec, and Jerry is having knee replacement surgery and will be out for a while.
Anyone have any suggestions????
Old 12-15-2003, 12:41 PM

Re:Mag Hytec problem....

No suggestions, but Jerry is a stand-up guy, and once back on his pegs, should be able to help you out.
Old 12-15-2003, 04:14 PM

use a impact with a good allen socket. the quick hits of a impact should free it. mike
Old 12-15-2003, 04:21 PM

a little heat and a good allen head socket
Old 12-15-2003, 04:41 PM

[quote author=gunracer1 link=board=4;threadid=23763;start=0#msg223943 date=1071526489]
use a impact with a good allen socket. the quick hits of a impact should free it. mike
[/quote]

Thanks for the input. I tried using a Craftsman allen socket, and it too, twisted like a pretzel... :'( :'( I did not try using the impact though. Will try that. Thanks.
Also, I thought about having Jerry send me a new drain plug, welding a nut onto the existing stuck drain plug, getting the plug out of there, and then installing the new plug... That may work also....
Old 12-15-2003, 05:15 PM

My trans pan did the same thing used a craftsman socket and inpact on the lowest seting and it came out after a few seconds.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:18 PM

I actually planned, and then forgot, to hit it w/the impact once off the truck. Wanted to do it on the bench for better visibility. I did not have a spare 60 cover here, and though we could have easily located one, DEZLPWR had a timetable to meet. Decided to be prepared to mess w/it next time. We'll have a spare cover and new drain plug in house just in case.

At least we didn't find any extra parts inside of that particular cover, when removed on Saturday

Ya just never know with some of those auto trans assemblers.
Thanks to Bill @ DTT for his helpful advise with respect to a tranny he's never laid a hand on. Though I expect that he will in the future. Near or distant merely depends on someone's right foot
Old 12-16-2003, 06:56 PM

At least we didn't find any extra parts inside of that particular cover, when removed on Saturday

Ya just never know with some of those auto trans assemblers.
Thanks to Bill @ DTT for his helpful advise with respect to a tranny he's never laid a hand on. Though I expect that he will in the future. Near or distant merely depends on someone's right foot
Who's cover, mine? : :-[

Yes, thanks Bill @ DTT for your help. we will be talking in the future.

Thanks Eric and Joe for your help.

Nathan
Old 12-18-2003, 09:39 PM

i think i would try the impact first then the heat something will give ;D
Old 12-18-2003, 09:59 PM

Not too much heat! I believe the plug is O-ringed.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:01 AM

Hey Steve,

I talked to Joe about this earlier and I'll pass on the same suggestion I gave him.

In the past I have had to get some extra hands to hold the cover upright. Use your wrench and put a good steady, heavy load on it. Have person #4 strike the bolt end with a blunt nosed cold chisel. Usually does the trick.

I would be a bit more than pi$$ed if I had dumped the cash on that cover and couldn't get the bolt out!

Good luck,

Dave
Old 12-19-2003, 09:59 PM

I have used the hand impact with success in simular situations in the past the striking with a hammer breaks the bolt loose along with the extra torque applied by the hit.
Bruce