Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Mag Hytec clearance

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mag Hytec clearance

Howdy, all!

First, I'm not a tranny man (especially autos) so bear with me. I just dropped my first auto trans pan, as part of a filter/fluid change, and here are my thoughts -- it pretty much sucks!

I've read about the Mag-Hytec pans, but I've got a question about them. Being "high capacity," wouldn't it be logical that you lose ground clearance under the truck? I use my 4x4 in some remote areas, so anything reducing my clearance is probably a bad idea...any thoughts?

If the aftermarket pan DOES hang lower, I assume I'm looking at a universal pan drain installation. Has anyone had trouble with this?

Also, I noticed a silver/grey sludge-like goo that has collected around the magnet in my transmission pan. As it has collected here exclusively, it must be metallic. And by the way, I found no metal shavings or bits in the fluid (at least none I could detect by touch). Any thoughts on any of this would be much appreciated

Have a great day,
B
Old 07-20-2005, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mag Hytec clearance

As for as a little shavings in Tranny I wouldn't be to concerned. I do mean a little.
I don't no how much ground clearance you would lose probably a 2-3 inches
but every thing else you will Love about the Mag Hytec.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:57 AM

You might loose an inch...but still well above other body parts...incl. the frame, I believe. Also, the Mag Hy-Tec is a lot tougher than the factory pan....and the fins should increase puncture protection.

The "mud" (sludge-like goo) is common. As long as you don't see bright shavings...your ok. The Mag Hy-Tec has a magnet in the drain plug that catchs everything. The drain plug is a high quality design with fine and outer course threads and a rubber o-ring. Works very well. About the only thing you can do wrong is severly over torque it.

Took me a drain or two, to become comfortable with the possibility of leaking plugs...but it just does not happen with the Mag Hy-tech. And the convienience of changing fluids easily, keeps my truck a lot healthier. I change the 50% of the fluid that is in the pan, every 30,000 miles. After seeing how little was in the filter after the first 10,000 miles, I won't worry about that till around 90,000 miles.

I have Mag Hy-Tec differentials and tranny pans - love them!

Rj
Old 07-20-2005, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the reply, Olratlr

From what I'm gathering, there are two Mag-Hytec models for the 47RE. One of them is model 727-D, and the other is the 727-DD. As the 727-DD is described as extra deep, I'm going to stay away from it. Does the first one, the 727-D, sound like the correct model for the 47RE?

Thanks again,
B
Old 07-20-2005, 05:22 PM

Ram44maR
Yes the 727-D is the one you need. and I think you only lose about an inch clearance at most, and it still does not hang below the frame.
mishkaya
Old 07-21-2005, 07:00 AM

i have that pan. a real nice unit. you wont have any clearance issues to worry about. i wish i would of put it on at the firts filter change. sure makes it nice to service with the drain plug. the rails are nice and i think in the long haul it will be better because i am sure the steel pan rails will distort after several changings of the fluid and filter where this pan should stay nice and straight.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:17 AM

I think the deep pan has the same capacity as the stock pan so the only thing you would be gaining is the drain plug and cooling from the aluminum.

The double deep pan gives you extra capacity of about 2 quarts plus the above mentioned.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:10 PM
Chapter President

http://www.yourcovers.com/

Take a look here guys.