Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

madd smarty

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bamadzl
Bob

I filled out the pre-order form on the madselectronics site on Jan 15 or 16. Should I have heard from someone yet or should I keep waiting. I'm not complaining, but I was expecting maybe a confirmation email or something.

Brad

I did the same. Later I PM'd Bob Wagner to make sure and he said I was on the list. The website form works just let folks know.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Trip observations

OK gang:

Just completed a 1900 miles trip to Tampa FL from Cheyenne, WY (I'm in FL now).

Observations:

1) 1st fillup, Smarty on Fuel saver= 19.9mpg. This was with cruise set at 80 the whole time, and on a 2002 4x4 WITHOUT the CAD up front. Very good, imo. With a CAD or some manual hubs, I'd expect 22mpg. This is on a levelled truck at 80! I'm happy!

2) Second fillup, Smarty on Fuel saver= 20.4mpg. Overall speed was a little slower (~75mph), but this was a lot more stop-go, and in hilly country (Missouri Ozarks through Birmingham, AL).

3) No mpg for third fillup, as it happened after I was in FL. Yes-- WY to FL on only two fillups (and needle never got below 1/4).

4) Smarty's SW#9 that was too much in Cheyenne (6K elev) is PERFECT in lower elevations. Smoke is a non-issue, and there is ZERO lag-- none!

5) The fuel saver is too much timing for a cold engine with big injectors in high altitude. Lots of white smoke and an occasional stumble, but nothing to be concerned about. Once engine temp comes up even a little bit, performance is good.

6) Fuel saver is pretty aggressive on timing-- you can hear it in the engine. HOs can get away with more timing because of the higher compression. Cruise EGTs with fuel saver are a little lower. Instead of cruising at 8-10psi and 750°, I was at 4-6psi and 650°. This points to better efficiency, imo.

7) Cruise control on the Smarty is much more refined. Even on full Catcher, it will only hit 15psi boost on the CC's 'accel' function. Perfectly manageable and not scary.

8) IMO, the most versatile 24V combo is SMarty/TST/Mach4s and towing twins using stock turbo. This combo will give you instant boost, very low smoke, perfectly controlled EGTs, and decent mpg. It's also good for about ~530hp.

9) The HX35 is out of its range past 31psi or so. I was experimenting while driving, and the engine's note changed RADICALLY past 31psi. Up to that point, all was normal. But the Smarty and 4s will push it to 38psi or so. The last 7 psi is not an options for me. The engine just sounds like it's negotiating with the HG on whether or not to blow. Drive pressure of a stock charger over 31psi is fast outpacing boost.

10) Tampa traffic sucks.

11) I had to disconnect my FP guage-- IT WAS LEAKING INTO THE CAB!!!! Nothing major, but annoying for sure. In case it's not been posted before-- DO NOT USE PLASTIC TUBING AND COMPRESSION FITTINGS FOR YOUR FP GAUGE!

12) new wipers are your friend.

13) Stock clutch still holding...

Justin
Old 01-28-2006, 03:04 PM

Welcome back Hohn. You're the 4th person getting 20 mpg with smarty on fuel saver I believe. Looks like we're getting consitant results.

As far as you're #12- looks like you missed this *great* product:
http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=23

#13- I don't see how you do it Ya keep a brick under the throttle?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by rjohnson
I know it's not what some were asking, but with the TST PM3, there is very nice adjustability on the fly.
I did this with the MAD ECM, and plan to with the Smarty. Daily driving with the TST box set on #9.... but turned OFF. There is still power to the box (boost fooler working) but no added fueling.
so if I read between the lines here... with a Catcher/Smarty, a boost fooler is still necessary?
Old 01-28-2006, 05:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
all the catcher programs have the higher boost limit raised. The stock program is just that stock.
Old 01-29-2006, 12:04 AM

Smarty mileage reports....

Hohn and other's....

Glad you're all hitting 20 mpg, but how much an increase is this?

With 4:10's and 285's I don't ever expect to see 20, but an increase of ~2mpg would get my attention. The potential mileage feature of the Smarty is the only aspect that interests me....otherwise, I'm happy with my original Catcher performance.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Except for performance modifications, my truck is similar to the one Hohn posted about, and I'm lucky to get 18 on the highway at 75. Leveled, 315s, no CAD. So, yeah, I'm betting it's around a 2 mpg increase.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:02 PM

When can I try one of these catchers? Or would it still be best to wait?

Dan
Old 01-30-2006, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dan, Really depends on your nature.
I suppose something could go wrong with the new Smarty's... but the designer's (Marco) track record is excellent. The MAD ECM he first offered was bullet proof with no problems at all. Did exactly what it was designed to do. I will be very surprised if there are any first run glitches with the Smarty!

You don't list your location (why not?) but I'd be surprised if someone in your area did not have a Smarty in the near future that you could try. That, to me, is marketing genius and going to sell a lot of Smarty's.... being able to try before you buy!

IF the turbo guys could figure how to do the same, they would sell a lot more "air"!

RJ
Old 01-30-2006, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by 24V-DSL
Hohn and other's....

Glad you're all hitting 20 mpg, but how much an increase is this?

With 4:10's and 285's I don't ever expect to see 20, but an increase of ~2mpg would get my attention. The potential mileage feature of the Smarty is the only aspect that interests me....otherwise, I'm happy with my original Catcher performance.
Increase? I can't say for sure.

When my truck was stock, I got ~16 city/20 hwy (living in GA)

With DD2s and EZ, truck got ~16 city/20 hwy

With Smarty and Mach 4s, truck gets ~16 city/20hwy.

What can we draw from the above data? DRIVING STYLE MATTERS-- more than anything else. But it's hard to maintain the same driving style with almost double the power.

What's interesting is that I haven't LOST any mpg as I've raised the power. I would submit to you that it's nearly impossible to drive a stock truck the same way you'd drive a catcher/M4 truck (esp manual trans). The fact I haven't lost any MPG seems to point to an overall MPG increase, but it's nothing conclusive.

The other thing worth mentioning is that the 19.9 and 20.4 probably occurred on WINTER FUEL-- at least I assume so because the fuel was from Cheyenne (which I KNOW is blended) and from St. Joseph, MO (cold enough to need winter fuel?).

ON the way home, I'll have a lot more time, so I'll do some runs at 70 mph, 65mph, and 60mph and report MPG differences overall. But it won't be until July, so be patient.

I'm intruiged by the idea that the Catcher may allow a more efficient driving style overall. The superior torque on the bottom allows for shorter shifting. Heck, I can pull 5th gear from 35mph, and 6th from 45mph. I'm into 4th gear by 25mph.

For reference, this is with 3.54 gears, 6-speed trans, and 265 tires-- factory Michelins (LTX A/S) up front, and Cooper STs in back. TP is 55psi front, 50 rear (IAW owners manual "hwy" inflation pressures).

Justin
Old 01-30-2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Phatboy

#13- I don't see how you do it Ya keep a brick under the throttle?
Hohn's clutch survival guide:

1) Always use 1st gear if launching from a stop or speed less than 5mph.
2) Do not apply loud pedal until foot is off clutch
3) Use loud pedal to match RPM when downshifting. A downshift should not result in any sudden jerky braking

4) Do NOT BUY SMARTY OR MACH 4s, OR WORSE-- BOTH!!

5) Luck out and get a good factory clutch.

I've been lucky so far, but this clutch is mortal, and I'm not expecting it to make it past the summer. More power in lower altitude, y'know