Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

madd smarty

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As I am priviliged to own one of your original "CATCHERS", I know how well it works for the overall driveability of my truck. And by the sounds of it, the Smarty just improves on the concept of the original.

I brought up my question so that in instances where I would want to go from on hiway mileage saver program eg., to stomping on it to pass someone, that I could be able to switch to max setting, from the fuel saver program in an instant, and then back again.

From what I read in your post it sounds like you are ABLE to do this now(or working on it), or will be available very soon in the near future. But you are limited to how much info can be stored by the ecm capabilities of the 2nd gen. Then I ask for clarification, is this or other possible scenarios of switching back and forth between programs while on the fly, going to be available for either 2nd or 3rd gens when the Smarty hits the market?
Old 01-20-2006, 11:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TORQUE
As I am priviliged to own one of your original "CATCHERS", I know how well it works for the overall driveability of my truck. And by the sounds of it, the Smarty just improves on the concept of the original.

I brought up my question so that in instances where I would want to go from on hiway mileage saver program eg., to stomping on it to pass someone, that I could be able to switch to max setting, from the fuel saver program in an instant, and then back again.

From what I read in your post it sounds like you are ABLE to do this now(or working on it), or will be available very soon in the near future. But you are limited to how much info can be stored by the ecm capabilities of the 2nd gen. Then I ask for clarification, is this or other possible scenarios of switching back and forth between programs while on the fly, going to be available for either 2nd or 3rd gens when the Smarty hits the market?

I haven't read all of the posts yet on the testing, but I don't think that switching on the fly is ever going to be an option with the Smarty.. It is like a regular downloader similar to Hypertech ( JUST MUCH BETTER ) where you actually have to take a minute or two to switch between modes..............now while I'm not 100% sure on this, I'm thinking that is just how it is going to be.

And from just reading HOHN's post, even he says it's not an option and he's a BETA tester. The original CaTCHER was ideal for split second response but didn't have much adjustibility as far as anything but going fast. Where the Smarty offers so much more but not the convinience of being able to have instant adjustibility................I guess just the price you pay for having such a cool product!!! I'm excited to get one!!!

~Nick
Old 01-20-2006, 11:05 AM

TORQUE,

I think you are misreading things. From what I read I thought that Marco said to would be possible to make it so that you can change on the fly but the ECM will not hold enough data. So if you want on the fly changes you would have to stack it with a TST or comp box are will do this. The Smarty is a plug in and put one program in and that is what you got, not changable on the fly. At least this is what I got out of what Marco posted.

Marco stated
"We could store 3 simple softwares into them. By "simple" I mean to say, softwares that deal with less than 1/3 of what I do with the CaTCHER.
At the end I could store no more than one stock sw + one CaTCHER into the ECM."

"With Smarty the "on the fly adjustability" is done with your right foot."
Old 01-20-2006, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by farmer dave

Well put!!!!

~Nick
Old 01-20-2006, 11:22 AM
Banned

I am familiar with what the downloaders do, and it could be that I misread his statement. I just wanted a straight forward clarification to my answer, if this will be possible(on the fly adjustability) when they hit the market(or later), or by uploading those changes I asked about, from his site at a later date(if it is possible). No offense intended to anyone.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TORQUE
I am familiar with what the downloaders do, and it could be that I misread his statement. I just wanted a straight forward clarification to my answer, if this will be possible(on the fly adjustability) when they hit the market(or later), or by uploading those changes I asked about, from his site at a later date(if it is possible). No offense intended to anyone.

If that is ever possible that would be freakin SWEET!!! And I for one wouldn't complain about that one bit!! Maybe Bob or Marco will chime in here and answer your question for ya!!!

~Nick
Old 01-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Banned

That's what I was hoping for. Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
Why sell the COMP.........the smarty is stackable with the COMP..........which means more fun!!!!

~Nick
While you are correct, the problem with the Comp is that it adds a significant amount of timing advance that makes it NOT compatible with the additional timing control that the Smarty is capable of.....MAD solved this stacking problem by offering programs that elimnate the dynamic timing control that the Smarty offers just so people could stack it with boxes like the Comp. This however, is a compromise at best, since the dynamic timing control has been removed from the Smarty, part of of the performance gain it could have delivered has been eliminated. The best stack would be to have a fueling only box like a TST and use the maximum timing program the Smarty offers.....this will net the absolute best performance gain possible and the most aggressive timing advance possible. Think of the Comp as a static, flat rate style of timing increase that by nature will have to be less aggressive. Where as the Smarty is dynamic and will change according to the conditions and allow the most timing possible for any given condition, at all times since it is not "building" on top of an already existing timing map like the Comp does.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:21 PM

just wanted a straight forward clarification to my answer, if this will be possible(on the fly adjustability)
Hey,
I thought I had already answered that question, probably I was not clear enough...

I do not plan on adjustability on the fly.
See my previous MSG, I've explained the reasons...

Marco
Old 01-20-2006, 12:28 PM

Marco,

Some people need to hear it word for word to believe it. I thought that you explained it well.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know it's not what some were asking, but with the TST PM3, there is very nice adjustability on the fly.
I did this with the MAD ECM, and plan to with the Smarty. Daily driving with the TST box set on #9.... but turned OFF. There is still power to the box (boost fooler working) but no added fueling.

All it takes to have full power is flip the TST switch on!

Will this work with the Fuel Saver setting.... probably not. But I found the mileage with the MAD ECM (#9 Smarty setting) to be very acceptable.

RJ
Old 01-20-2006, 04:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
While you are correct, the problem with the Comp is that it adds a significant amount of timing advance that makes it NOT compatible with the additional timing control that the Smarty is capable of.....MAD solved this stacking problem by offering programs that elimnate the dynamic timing control that the Smarty offers just so people could stack it with boxes like the Comp. This however, is a compromise at best, since the dynamic timing control has been removed from the Smarty, part of of the performance gain it could have delivered has been eliminated. The best stack would be to have a fueling only box like a TST and use the maximum timing program the Smarty offers.....this will net the absolute best performance gain possible and the most aggressive timing advance possible. Think of the Comp as a static, flat rate style of timing increase that by nature will have to be less aggressive. Where as the Smarty is dynamic and will change according to the conditions and allow the most timing possible for any given condition, at all times since it is not "building" on top of an already existing timing map like the Comp does.

Oh I wasn't saying that it was fully compatible with the COMP, but it is to a certain extent. I for one would use what I got and add to it........seems like a waste of money to sell the COMP just to buy the Smarty.......but that's just me.

Now you are correct in the TST would be a much better box to have, but to purchase the Smarty and the TST is gonna set you back.

Plus I'm not sure what the HP rating is on the Smarty, but if it doesn't make as much power as the COMP, then I'd rather just by the Smarty and keep the COMP. But like I said, that's just me!!!

~Nick
Old 01-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Ben

Hp of the original Catcher is comparable to the EZ.

Driveabilty is 100x better.

This adjust on fly nonsense blows my mind. This program is not that bad. I've been driving on crappy roads for 2 months and no issues. Truck gets sideways because of what I have done.

It makes me wonder on the qaulity of the wheelman.

My next plan is to mate a TST with this 'ol boy....
Old 01-21-2006, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by farmer dave

This on-the-fly crap is driving me nuts too. IT WON'T BE DONE!
I'm on the list for a Smarty, but not for adjustabilty reasons. I just want another Catcher for my dad's truck!
I have never, in the 12 months of using a Catcher, ever wanted to "turn it down."
I have a right foot, it functions well, it was free, it is infinately adjustable, it can be removed and applied to other vehicles, it can be used as a weapon, etc.
Some people are spoiled. We've taken a great thing that offers what some were always concerned about with the Catcher, adjustability, and said, "I want it this way."
Old 01-21-2006, 02:20 AM
Banned

Well, having a right foot that works can only get you so far. At least for me. I found out what 400hp on a wet road can do real quick tonight. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't pretty. I would definately like to have something on the fly that I can turn down. Heck, my comp was on 2x2 tonight which is supposed to be slow to react. I can only imagine what full catcher status would have done. I'll be watching this closely.

Quick Reply: madd smarty