Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Mad ECM on H.O.'s ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mad ECM on H.O.'s ?

I think I already know my answer, but do the Mad ECM work on the H.O.'s or just the S.O.'s ?? And are they compatible with the COMP?
Old 10-18-2005, 11:22 AM
Banned

not sure how well they work on the HO's...i know you can get them but i dunno if they give much gain

also for the mad ecm to work with a comp you have to get a specail version with no added timing, becase the comp already adds the timing
Old 10-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
also for the mad ecm to work with a comp you have to get a specail version with no added timing, becase the comp already adds the timing

That's what I was thinking, but a comment from a guy the other day had me second guessing myself so I wanted to double check!!! Thanks dude!!

~Nick
Old 10-18-2005, 11:33 AM
Banned

glad i could finally give some GOOD info here...

i had talked to bob wagner a while back about an ECM and he was telling me it would compliment a comp nicely with the no timing version. but before i can get an ecm i need a turbo
Old 10-18-2005, 11:55 AM
Banned

Yeah that would be nice having that snappy throttle response from the ecm and the power from the COMP! I need a bigger turbo also, I want to do so much more but I don't want to start cookin stuff or blow out my stinkin tranny!!

My buddy is the one with the H.O. and he is wanting some more juice, and is thinking about the COMP and wanted to get the MAD ECM as well but he doesn't have anything done to his. No exhaust, intake, gauges, nothing....... I told him that he would be a very unhappy camper with adding all that fuel and not being able to monitor his EGT's, it would end up being a nuclear meltdown I think!!

~Nick
Old 10-18-2005, 01:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The ECM works GREAT on HOs. The HOs have slightly retarded timing from the factory (compared to an SO), so the timing of the ECM really wakes them up on bottom.

I *might* be testing a tweaked ECM (slightly custom programming) here in a few weeks-- at least that's the rumor.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Banned

Well that's good to hear, I will have to mention that to him. Thanks HOHN!

~Nick
Old 10-18-2005, 04:16 PM

The MAD ECM is probably the favorite mod I have done to my HO! Replaced the edge EZ for the MAD ECM - there is no comparison, night and day. It spools up a turbo like you wouldn't believe. Works wonders with a hot TST too!
Old 10-18-2005, 07:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I love my HO now with the mad and mach 1.6s it will light up the tires in 3rd with very little effort and anything on the dash will fly to the back seat . its just so darn hard to stop playing around with it
Old 10-19-2005, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by HOHN
I *might* be testing a tweaked ECM (slightly custom programming) here in a few weeks-- at least that's the rumor.
I hope so- I'd like to see if Marco can respond to your pedal response issue. Sounds like there are still improvements being made If it is going to happen can you ask for the regular instead of the special? It'd be worth taking off the va for the test

Maybe this time you'll keep it Send Bob the VA and see if he notices =P
J/k of course- hope you guys don't mind a n00b talking a little smack
Old 10-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Banned

Thanks for the input guys, which do you guys thing he will be more happy with.........the MAD ECM..............or the COMP??? I really like my COMP but I've never tried the MAD so I can't really compare!!

~Nick
Old 10-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Banned

since i have never tried a mad ecm i cant comment on it...but with the comp you have full control...you pick one of 5 power levels, and one of 5 some/responsiveness levels, or you can turn it off completely when needed. the mad ecm can not be turned off at all without removing it. so think of that, since i see you live in colorado, the comp can be turned on in icy or snowy conditions to help keep some traction on the road. even with a light pedal the mad ecm i hear makes ALOT of power down low.

i love being able to turn my comp off in the rain so i do not end up sideways when the go pedal goes down a bit
Old 10-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by getblown5.9
since i have never tried a mad ecm i cant comment on it...but with the comp you have full control...you pick one of 5 power levels, and one of 5 some/responsiveness levels, or you can turn it off completely when needed. the mad ecm can not be turned off at all without removing it. so think of that, since i see you live in colorado, the comp can be turned on in icy or snowy conditions to help keep some traction on the road. even with a light pedal the mad ecm i hear makes ALOT of power down low.

i love being able to turn my comp off in the rain so i do not end up sideways when the go pedal goes down a bit

Yeah I love my comp too, it makes a nice addition to a great truck!!! That was one thing I was telling him about the MAD ECM was that once it's on it's on, and there is no adjusting it..............so I guess I will let him decide which one works better for him............

Thanks for the help!!

~Nick
Old 10-19-2005, 02:43 PM

I did a search and really found nothing that I was looking for. On my HO, I have the drag comp. What will the mad ecm do for the truck (with no timing) over just running the comp? Where do you get em?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by ridofpwrstroke
I did a search and really found nothing that I was looking for. On my HO, I have the drag comp. What will the mad ecm do for the truck (with no timing) over just running the comp? Where do you get em?
If you're running the comp, Marco builds a "special" ECM, it basically keeps the OEM timing curves with his modified fueling curves. With the additional timing of the Comp and the added timing in the standard MAD ECM, its just too much.

I tried an EZ with the MAD ECM - the engine sounded awful, no power, etc. Its not a good combo. If you plan on keeping the Comp, you'll need the special program.

By the way, the MAD ECM is not a replacement for the Comp or TST - it adds no more fuel than an EZ or a VA. Your smile will be just that much bigger with the addition of the MAD ECM! Really makes driving the 6sp fun! However, I rarely turn on my fueling box - just no need unless I'm showing off or want to make some serious smoke, but there is a big difference when the box is on!

Call up Bob Wagner (http://www.wagnerandassociates.biz/) - he'll set you strait!

Quick Reply: Mad ECM on H.O.'s ?