Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

mach 4 vs 6, not the usually ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mach 4 vs 6, not the usual ?

I have tried searching but there is a few things i have not been able to find an answer to. Im looking to get injectors sometime soon then studs then a turbo maybe with in the next 3 to 4 months. right now i am kinda leaning tward the 4s. Im still reading up on turbos but right now im kinda leaning tward the HTT ss62, maybe the htb2. I dont care if it smokes a little. I can take off nice and easy when i need to controll the smoke. I do tow so far not more than 10k but around hear its all flat. I dont really ever plan on towing in the mountains.

1. how is the idle quility 4 vs 6?
2. how is the over all driveablity 4 vs 6?
3. how is the fuel econemy (asuming i can keep my foot out of it) 4 vs 6?

4. Now for the tuff one. somehow this all makes sence in my head so i will try and explain it to the best of my abilities. If it doest make sence let me know. Let say i get the ss62 and i decide to tow a 10K load up the side of a mountian for 5 miles. Lets say that i maintain my EGTs at exactly 1250 deg. (for the sake of this discution lets just say i have a completly veriable speed transmision) Now would i be making the most power/fastest speed up the hill with the 4s or 6s? would the 6s be to much and end up making less power while maintaining the same EGTs or would the power be the same for the 4s and 6s with the same EGTs?

5. With the ss62 or htb2 would i see anymore power running the 6s vs the 4s? Or would i just end up with more smoke and higher EGTs?

if i ever have the head off i will ring it if at all possible and then there would deffinatly be a chance that i might just have to hang another turbo under there if the MPG would remain the same. At this point im not really plaining for twins but i would rather not have to spend another $1k on injectors if i can help it. I want some that are feature proof.

Justin
Old 09-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Banned

I am no 24v expert but on the M4 vs. M6 going up the hill scenerio I would think the M4 would do better because it would allow you to use more RPM's as it would flow less fuel in relation to RPM... I might be totally wrong but thats my .02
Old 09-05-2007, 12:47 AM

It can be done. Blackdiesel ran mach 6's with a super 62 and pulled some heavy loads with it. Face it, if you want to run huge sticks and tow with a single turbo you're going to be better off with the 4's. And if you want better low end spool you want the htb2 instead of the super. If you want hell and fury just a stomp away go 6's and the super 62

I'm running mach 4's with a 64. Its fine, no egt problems with some light towing. A year and a half later and I still can't decide if I'd rather have it spool quicker or cool better so I guess that makes it a good combo =P
Old 09-05-2007, 08:28 AM

GHo with the 4's, the 6's are just too much for towing. The 62mm turbo will be you holdup on HP so both injectors will be within 15-20 HP using this size turbo. Also holding you temps at 1250* for very long and watch your coolant temp, more engines are hurt this way then you can imagine.

Bottom line is M6's are not designed for towing they are designed for power. Going to the 6's with the above mods will only produce heat and posssible engine damage. Can you tow with 6's.... Yes but I wouldn't want to for any real distance.

Doug
Old 09-05-2007, 04:35 PM

I have run both, but with small twins. I don't tow heavy or even moderately heavy. The idle qaukity is about the same for both with only a slight bit more haze on my truck with the 6's.

Driveability was great with the 4's. The 6's can add fuel so fast, you have to pay atention at low boost. However, I daily drive them with no problem.

Fuel economy should be close to being the same at a given throttle or rpm. In other words, it only takes X amount of fuel to turn the engine at a specific rpm. You tend to use more fuel with the bigger sticks as they can add so much so quickly.

The towing example is valid and is exactly like cruising. The truck only needs a specific amount of fuel to move the weight at a given speed. But JetPilot is absolutely correct. You can tow with the 6's, but you have to watch temps closer as it's easier to add more fuel than intended too easily.

With the M6's, 285 tire, 3.54 gear and cruise set at 65-70mph with the Edge on 1X1 I see about 22-23 mpg. This is with a set of small twins and a cam.

The M4's were about the same, but I routinely cranked off 23mpg.

Loaded I lost 1 mpg pulling my 3K lb boat. I am guessing the additional fueling and the speed of the cruise adjustment plays a roll here.

Dave
Old 09-05-2007, 06:33 PM

thanks for all the help guys. I guess if i ever get twins and need more fuel i will worry about bigger sticks then. Ill just go with either the mach 4 or now i just found out there is also a 4.5 just when i had my mind made up. I read some people on here use them but i though they where just a newer version that ended up being called the mach 4 but now i find out they are 175 hp instead of 150. just when i though i had my mind made up. by the time i finally get somthing ordered mankind will have used up all the fosile fuels and ill have an electric truck
Old 09-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Mach 4.5's, I've towed pretty heavy with them. Use some common sense going up steep grades and everything is fine.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Aside from the fuel limitations of an HO, the reason I went with the 4s is that I thought they were the practical limit of versatility. Once you get past this point, you are heading down the path of a purpose-built race truck.

4s are no slouch in the fueling rate either-- with aggressive electronics they will really pour in the fuel--but the 6s are really in a completely different league.

4s are capable of more power than you could ever use towing, so there's no real point in going bigger on a rig that's expect to pull any kind of weight.

I'm hoping to have a setup like Dave (fishin) has, with M4s, Helix cam, small twins, so forth so on-- a true all-around, do it all truck that's still pretty powerful.

JMO
Old 09-06-2007, 05:36 PM

thanks for all the help guys. I went and ordered the mach 4.5s before i changed my mind again. now i just need to decide on a turbo.................
Old 09-06-2007, 07:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Good luck. I've decided turbo selection is the toughest decision of all when bombing these trucks. It has the biggest determination of all and what you ca do with your truck.

jmo