Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

M.a.d. Ecm

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 11:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M.A.D ECM

Definately keep us informed on the progress of that lil gem . I would love to go that route ,but we have to go through that emission testing fiasco here not sure about her passing with ECM modified. Anyone in Missouri up on that ?
Old 08-15-2004, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by Jetpilot
Opie,

Let me know what you come up with..... I would assume you are correct, its gonna be something like an EZ as far as max numbers. I suspect you will see more HP and TQ down low in the RPM band with peak HP being about the same. This in itself though would make it a worthy investment!

Doug
If it comes in on time I will know be dynoing at the end of the month. I have a fresh pump and some of Don's newest injectors to try out as well. Everyone that has driven Bob Wagners truck has been very impressed with the added grunt at lower boost. I hope Marco can do something for the 3rd gen's soon.
Old 08-15-2004, 04:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you will have it by the end of the month for sure
Old 08-15-2004, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: M.A.D ECM

Originally posted by Mixer Man
Definately keep us informed on the progress of that lil gem . I would love to go that route ,but we have to go through that emission testing fiasco here not sure about her passing with ECM modified. Anyone in Missouri up on that ?

The best thing to do IMO is to get another one to send to Marco and have done, and keep your stock one for the inspection process. That is what I will have to do although at the present we have no testing for this in my state.

Good luck in finding one though, they are hard to find.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:29 PM

I dont know if this was covered. I was just in to get tire size reset. I dont know if it is in the ecm that this happens. If it is could Macro reset the computer to allow for correct mph with bigger or smaller tires.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:51 AM

You will know the answer to that question soon. I asked him to do that very thing to my E.C.M.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:50 AM

I would also really be interested in this its something else to do as I am running out of idea's can't you tell :P

I am mostly after more bottem end grunt and a little quicker accelleration off the line Im hoping on this thing as being a nice little add on just waiting for some more info on it before I bite.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:03 AM

Opie, Jetpilot, I have dyno graphs comparing the MAD ecm to an EDGE EZ and MAD ecm + TST and EDGE EZ + TST. The Mad ECM and the EDGE EZ dyno'd identical. With the TST box on they both dyno'd 617hp on my truck with the graphs being virtually on top of each other. On the street though I could tell a huge difference.

Horace
Old 08-16-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds interesting, anyone in NC have one??
Old 08-16-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Please clarify for me, this is the electronic controller on the firewall on the passenger side of the truck?
Old 08-16-2004, 12:18 PM

No, that is the PCM. The ECM is mounted on the engine block behind the fuel filter.
Old 08-16-2004, 12:29 PM

ECM is #15

You can view the full picture & explanation can be viewed here :
Identification
Old 08-16-2004, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Battering Ram

Did I understand correctly...TST comp with Mad ECM dynoed same as TST comp stacked w/ EZ?

Please give details on "hugh difference" on the street...including smoke differences?

Thanks
RJ
Old 08-16-2004, 01:46 PM

It will be interesting to see the data. It sounds to me like the ECM is adding fuel much sooner than normal and maybe even retarding timing down low to help with spoolup on the bottom end. Guys remember that an EZ does not give 60 HP peak, the 60 HP is lower in the rpm band and peak HP gain is only around 25-30.

A dyno will be able to show true gains from the flashed ECM. To do the test accurately one would need to establish a baseline (by dynoing that day) for the truck, and then change the ECM and re-dyno on the same day on the same dyno. Then one can overlay the two graphs and get a good comparision of the differences.

Doug
Old 08-16-2004, 03:32 PM

Re: Battering Ram

Originally posted by rjohnson
Please give details on "hugh difference" on the street...including smoke differences?

Thanks
RJ [/B]
I think what people are referring to is the responsiveness. Yes, most of what is being said is as a result of the SOP meter. However, I have a one-legged truck and I will tell you that if I don't watch it I can break it loose really easy, especially if there is any dampness on the road, and I don't mean power braking either. My truck is fairly modified and with only changing the ECM it comes off of the line waaayyy quicker.

Best thing I could suggest is to just follow this thread and try to locate somebody in your geographical area that would give you a ride with a CaTCHER equipped truck. I don't blame folks for wanting hard data but that doesn't always tell how the truck is actually performing. I mean, we drive these things on a daily basis and then once and awhile when tuning a truck for racing or the testosterone kicks in we dyno. But the street is the real world. Drag strip is a fairly accurate barometer of what is going on also. When I state that my truck is somewhat modified, it is obviously not in a class with the likes of Maddog, Jetpilot, Opie, Fletcher, Hoss or the like. The HP calculator, given my weight 7600#, and my trap speed (20% drivetrain loss) shows my rwhp to be 517.7 and flywheel 647.1. I believe this to be quite accurate in that before I changed to the CaTCHER and DodgeZilla I did turn the drums at 482.2rwhp. I only point these numbers out to show what one might expect in a similiarly equipped truck with pretty small injectors and smallish turbo. BTW, my truck is a daily driver and tow vehicle. I'm quite happy!

Roger

Quick Reply: M.a.d. Ecm