Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

M.a.d. Ecm

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to apologize somewhat, but rather than re-type I am taking the liberty of cutting and pasting. I did post this as a reply on the other site but there may be some useful info so that's why I am re-posting here.

Alright Phil! Welcome to the ranks of "CaTCH ME IF YOU CAN. So happy it worked out for you.

Kat Diesel, that is exactly what I did. Took it to a dealer, went thru the back door, mechanic came out with a DRBIII scanner, 2 minutes later had my software version number. This is probably the safest way to save everyone time and money but as Marco does more of them here in the US may not be necessary. The important thing is to try to get a good ECM. Phil got lucky that Marco was able to fix his broken one. One other individual was not so lucky. As previously posted, Marco has suggested ways to tell if it infact is good but as it stands now you would have to do like TCourse did and actually hook up the used one to your truck and see if the "wait to start" lite comes on. Those of you with 2001 and up trucks (maybe the 2000's) seem to have more problem as Dodge was changing in mid-model year, such as 2001 and 2001.5. Try to give Doug at ADT as much info as possible about your truck especially if it is a Federal or Carb truck. This should make it easier for all concerned.

Anyhow, good report Phil, keep the shiny side up and yes, roll into it to save your tranny. I wouldn't worry about injectors, I would save that money for your tranny and then you will really be smiling when you put all of that power to the ground.

Regards,

Roger
Old 08-10-2004, 07:27 PM

I have the upgraded ECM in my truck for the past 6 weeks. I put 8000 miles on a vacation towing 15K. I was able to test the ECM with the fueling box vs a timing only box prior to vacation. The MADD ecm really lights up the turbos much quicker. The pedal is wayyy more responsive. The truck pulled like a beast at all times, condition and elevations.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:56 PM

My, my, my Chevota01, no offense, you have been very quiet. Do tell however, one CaTCHER ownertalking to another CaTCHER owner , did you run with the box on when towing heavy? I did before the CaTCHER because with my size of injectors the advanced timing of 1x1 actually lowered my EGT's. So I am curious what happens with box off. I do intend to find out real soon. If I can hold my EGT's the same as or better with the CaTCHER as I can with my drag comp set on 1x1 I will be one happy camper.

Roger
Old 08-10-2004, 10:00 PM

No offense taken. I need to run without the box on. I tried it at its lowest setting and still was able to bury the EGTs on those steep western inclines.
With 15K being pulled, the turbos still light up well, just a little smoky in the stop & go traffic. I believe most will be happy with the ECM upgrade -- from stock to built. I will preface this by saying I'm running an automatic.

...back to the shadows....
Old 08-10-2004, 11:30 PM

I read all 21 pages of the Post over at TDR, and I have to admit, it's seems quite the BOMB. There are even guys over there selling there Comp boxes for this upgrade, saying they don't need it anymore.

Of all the posts on TDR, there were only a few regarding towing, and no one has really posted up the towing results.

I tow heavy and based on what Chevota01 is posting, I may be inclined to try this modification. I am looking at this flash very seriously.

I would still like to hear more about the towing with this flash, and I mean heavy towing.

This flash is getting some very decent review right out of the box.

Just my opinion.

Rob
Old 08-11-2004, 08:00 AM

Ok shadowman. Thanks for the info. 600rwhp='s lg injectors and at least a couple of turbos. hmmmmmmmm
Old 08-11-2004, 12:05 PM

My combo means minimizing the amount of fuel to control EGTs. To do this I needed to install injectors in the DD2 range for towing. I still needed to get off the go pedal on steep climbs at times.

The ECM upgrade supplies more fuel down low with my setup and works much better than my timing box did.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:45 PM

Doesn't the Comp box fuel below stock settings on levels 1 and 2?

Edward
Old 08-11-2004, 03:35 PM

Edward, I think you mean de-fuel. I believe we are saying the same thing. Yes, it is suppose to and that's why I always drove on the Freeway with mine on 1x1 to get better mileage. But, there has been discussion between myself and TCourse regarding smoke control with the CaTCHER. Granted we both have different size injectors (15hp difference, EDM 2.4's verses 3.0's ) but that can be quite a bit in that range. Smoke is a subjective thing in terms of measurement but he, Terry indicates that he sees less with box on 1x1 and I claim to see more. Go figure.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:56 PM

Appears as tho 2nd batch of "production" CaTCHERS are arriving at their respective locations. GL all and keep us posted.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I'm understanding correctly, you have to be without your vehicle during this process?

You remove your ECM, mail it off, it gets reprogrammed, then mailed back to you?

It isn't: order a new one, pay a core charge,
drive semi happily around with your current one,
new one arrives with the new program,
then you send your old one to him to become someone elses new one?

Not really considering this till there's more real world everyday long term reports,
but facts are always better than assumptions.

Haven't paid that much attention to the TDR thread since I can only read there.

phox
Old 08-11-2004, 09:00 PM

Phox, not necessarily would you have to be without your truck. There are options. Contact Doug at ADT. They are trying to build up a supply of spare ECM's. Initially they were even offering a $350 trade-in if you ultimately sent them two ECM's and only wanted one back. Members have been scouring wrecking yards and E-Bay. I found mine locally before some got wise for $150 but now some are paying upwards of $300. I guess worst case scenario would be to be without your truck for approximately 2-3 weeks (if you sent your only ecm in) , but Doug could provide much more info than I.

HTH,

Roger
Old 08-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanx.

I just started going through the thread on TDR,
dang, 42 pages long.

I'm thinking by the time I can afford to start bombing, it'll be a lot easier and quicker.

phox
Old 08-12-2004, 07:38 PM

So will the reflash supercede the requirement of a fuel box like the Edge Comp or TST? And are there different levels of tune within the reflash? Or does it just make it so the motor will always get 100% of fuel relative to throttle positon?

BTW When do I get to become a senior member
Old 08-12-2004, 07:47 PM

You know I actually find humor in the fact that the same complaint keeps coming up on this site about vendors. I'm sure that the mods who work hard here don't, and I am not trying to stir the pot, just wanted to say it's funny.

The MAD.ECM seems to be the real deal, there is no doubt. A fueling box on top of the MAD.ECM will add fuel at a sooner rate. A timming box will do the same thing to my understanding. Seems that if you want the perfect daily driver without getting crazy, then this is the perfect middle to the COMP and an EZ. I know Merrick knows his stuff, and would trust his thoughts very much on the topic. I will wait to further see what he says about it before I make up my mind on it, as he is EXTREAMLY unbiased.

Quick Reply: M.a.d. Ecm