Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

M.a.d. Ecm

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This "upgrade" differs from a box in teh like that, it is modifying the base signal.

All boxes, either EZ, COMP, Ottomind, TST, VA, etc. Get signals from the ECM, modify the signal, and the modified signal continues on it's way...

In that case, occasionally there is a small glitch or whatnot that might make your truck stutter, or go in limp mode at random. Plus, it has to wait for the ECM to allow some fueling before it can modify the signal.

This ECM listen to your right foot. If you want 75% fuel, then it does just that. It doesn't really wait for boost to come up, or wait for the DaimlerChrysler programmed Torque limiters to tell it when it's ok to give fuel. It gives all the fuel you ask for. Want 100% Fueling at 1,100RPM? Just put your foot down.

It doesn't need to wait for anything to tell it to do something. Unlike the DaimlerChrysler ECM which has EPA limitations, and Torque reduction programmed into it.

THis is the truest form of modifying a 24V. There is no "Smoke and Mirror's" effect like a "box" gives you...

You can stack boxes on top of this ECM though. It makes for a different driving experiance. Since the ECM gives out it's fueling command the second your foot moves, the box is able to immediatly alter an increased fueling command. (more power faster)

There is a point of "overfueling" though. Too much fuel, too fast will slow turbo spool-up and hurt acceleration. Just watch your gauges...

Hope this makes sense.
Merrick
Old 08-10-2004, 03:57 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Zino

With that said, and now I know you are mad at me, I would not like for you to cancel my account, as I do like posting here, and would like to try to contribute to a good, technical, non-snake-oil salesman forum, which I think is what this place should be, but if you feel I am un-civilized and do not positively contribute to the forum, then do what you must.

Sincerely
Kevin P. Panzino PE ( Zino)
For the last ten posts, you have not positively contributed to this forum. In addition, your statement makes no sense. From what I gather on your last few jabs taken at us on your recent posts, you're basically saying, "You suck, but I would like to post here anyways." If you dislike the way we run this forum, then why stay? I've spent a lot of time and out of pocket cash on this forum to get it where it is now, and I personally find you insulting. My thoughts are at this point, put up or shut up. Either make productive recommendations on what we can do to improve instead of throwing insults around, or take a hike.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:35 AM

Merrick
Thanks for the explaination. How would one go about getting this done, what's the cost, and are there different levels of programing, for like the heavy towing guys, or is this just a non daily driver set up.

Jack
thanks for keeping this a great place to learn and get help from the guru's. I for one only recommend vendors that I have dealt with and had positive results with. Just so happens that some of the best are on this site.

jmho
tia
wayne
Old 08-10-2004, 08:24 AM

Jack, I don’t dislike this forum at all. But I feel that recently the quality of information here has rapidly degraded. The fact that there are numerous posts about subwoofers, halogen lights, Crutchfield amps and Bling wheels, yet no information at all on something like the MAD ecm only supports this view. I have quite a bit of respect for you and Larry and the other guys, who, no doubt, put a TON of time into this place. But, I would have thought that since you have indeed devoted so much effort, you too would be concerned about the recent direction the forum has been taking. Yes you are correct, I can just go elsewhere if I don’t like it, but I used to like it a lot and I was trying to help steer it back in the right direction, rather than just leave.

As for my last ten posts, which you feel did "not positively contribute"(your words) to the forum, they were about:

This last issue, the MAD ECM.

I recommended a snubber to a guy with a rattling boost gauge.

I added content to a post about poor second gear performance.

I mentioned how I didn’t think a clutch sticking would cure itself overnight

I inquired About nozzle-only changes to stock injectors

Explained why a titanium exhaust pipe cooled off so quick

About adding a resistor circuit to the MAP sensor to fool the ecm into fueling earlier

Asked about getting a used stock manifold to use as a template for making a custom stainless manifold

Told a guy that a 3" exhaust is all he needed

And tried to help a guy troubleshoot a PM3 that is not working properly.

Can't say that I feel those posts were not positively contributing to the forum, but then again... hummm lets see..... A common factor in most of them is a do it yourself kind of thing.... therefore not spending money at Wildcat Performance, .... also a little shot at South Bend Clutches...... and finally, about a product that no vendor of this forum offers.....

Maybe I can see why my posts are not considered contributory.

But you are still correct, I can go elsewhere, and it is now clear to me that I am not welcome here anymore. So therefore I respectfully resign as a member of this forum, and that is sad.

Thanks to all the guys with whom I have had a good time talking shop with.

Sincerely and With Sorrow
Kevin P. Panzino PE (Zino)
Old 08-10-2004, 09:12 AM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Zino
[B]Jack, I don’t dislike this forum at all. But I feel that recently the quality of information here has rapidly degraded. The fact that there are numerous posts about subwoofers, halogen lights, Crutchfield amps and Bling wheels, yet no information at all on something like the MAD ecm only supports this view. I have quite a bit of respect for you and Larry and the other guys, who, no doubt, put a TON of time into this place. But, I would have thought that since you have indeed devoted so much effort, you too would be concerned about the recent direction the forum has been taking. Yes you are correct, I can just go elsewhere if I don’t like it, but I used to like it a lot and I was trying to help steer it back in the right direction, rather than just leave.
If you're interested in helping us improve the forum, then why not make productive recommendations to us via pm or even publicly in the suggestion area? Why keep leaving little snippets of snide remarks in your posts? You're right, the posts you put up did have useful information in them. I take back what I said. However, the remarks are still there and that is what bothers me. It doesn't bother me because you have an opinion. It bothers me because of the way you chose to express your opinion. Instead of offering productive views on how to improve, you put us on the defensive. You did yourself what you don't like about this forum according to your posts.

There is a ton of technical information here on everything from performance boxes to subwoofers. Just because you don't care about subwoofers, it doesn't mean that the subject is any less important just because it doesn't serve you.

That said, feel free to stay if you want, but please make it productive. If you have things you want us to change, make suggestions on how to do so, and put it in the suggestions area so we can see it, and actually take them into consideration.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zino

For a 7450 lb truck, with me & full fuel, I do not believe my truck is a "pathetic slug".
I read your comments to my truck...and she suggested I not reply to your insults ....and I have to keep her happy!

You have helped me in the past, and I appriciate it.

RJ
Old 08-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Banned

Re: Zino

Originally posted by rjohnson
I read your comments to my truck...and she suggested I not reply to your insults and name calling....and I have to keep her happy!

RJ
Old 08-10-2004, 11:51 AM

Ok already, lets get this thread back on track. Just so you will know who I am, I post under the handle of RCone on TDR. If you've read any of the ECM thread over there, then you will be able to sort out my posts.

I probably had/have the 1st CARB CaTCHER ECM in the States. I've had it since before Marco went on holiday. It was I that brought out the fact that there are 12 software profiles that could apply to the 2001 trucks as Kat stated. I had to resend my ECM to Marco along with the software version number that led him to the discovery that there was a difference between the EPA and CARB engines and where they received their timing input from.

Now as to why it hasn't been discussed on this site. The thread started on TDR and has now been viewed about 40K times, with about 600 replies. Must be an all time record. Yes, I should have posted here cause I am on this site quite, even tho I don't say to much as I can learn more from listening, as much as I am on the other site. I even run a DTR decal on my truck and am a member of the DTR Northwest Chapter.

Merrick described what the CaTCHER is doing very well. I am not going to go into detail in this particular post other than to say, I love it! Some would say it is touchy, that is, the go pedal. I prefer to use the word responsive. I suppose if you were going over a washboard gravel road, it could present a problem if you have size 13shoes on the skinny pedal like I do.

No, I haven't dynoed, but I believe I have a fairly modified truck. At least modified enough to run 13.49 at 101.25 last weekend at Woodburn, Oregon. And that with a 7400# plus truck in which I had my 5ver hitch in and all assorted stuff, including tool box, folding metal chairs etc. I don't exactly know what I weighed in on that day. I do not post this to brag, however, I am proud of that time, and I merely post to let you know what a CaTCHER equipped truck was able to accomplish. How would it have done without the CaTCHER, I can't answer, but I will tell you that me, who is an old fart and has the reaction times of a tree sloth, ran a 1.9 second 60'. I would have to say that was getting off of the line pretty good for me.

If you all have specific non-technical questions, and recognizing that I don't have a whole lot of baseline data, please feel free to ask.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:58 AM

BTW, there is no conspiracy, nobody is trying to hide anything and this it not some manufacturers ploy to promote vaporware. Marco is on holiday this month. He, Doug and Dawn have gone above and beyond to help some of the first of us through a few nagging issues.

I AM NOT AFFILIATED IN ANYWAY WITH THE CATCHER ECM PROJECT OTHER THAN AS A SATISFIED USER WHO PAID THEIR MONEY JUST LIKE THE REST OF US.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:32 PM

Location: Used to be missoula, montana: Now in Sonoma County California
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Re: Zino

Originally posted by rjohnson

I read your comments to my truck...and she suggested I not reply to your insults and name calling....and I have to keep her happy!

RJ

Zino

keep it up you might get

by Jack T.

There is no conspiracy you need to lay down and rethink what your saying and how you are saying it if you want help or to continue to be helped dont bite the hands of those that would be otherwise willing to help you.

We do remember bitter critters who come in and start off with harsh comments and ridicule. This isnt pirate4x4

=================================

As to the Catcher, I am curious as to how agressive the fueling is. Does it compare to a P-pump with cut delivery valves for responsiveness or is it faster. Stoopid pump material what are we talking here guys or just straight up not even in the same realm as a 12v

I know its been said but When is somebody going to get some before and after dyno specs.

What is the potential that if you do have a ECM decide to fry its self is the limp mode still in the system, also with our manual tranny trucks the cruise is handled by the ECM what is the effects of the Catcher on cruise control? Any experiences yet?

D-

Thanks again for al the updates this does have potential
Old 08-10-2004, 01:07 PM

I do not know how it would compare with a P Pumped truck, as I never driven one set up the way you describe. I will say again, I push to go pedal and there is not hesitation. If you drive a one-legged truck like mine, with 50K on the original tires and it rained a tad the other day, I actually broke the right rear loose just a little and I didn't mean to.

I know, everyone wants dyno specs as that does provide some baseline data. I was gonna do it but as I stated with my truck being modified the way it is, I don't think it would be as meaningful as with somebody having a basically stock truck and dynoing with just an EZ and then dynoing with the EZ off and with the CaTCHER installed.

I don't understand your last question exactly with regard to the ECM frying. The incidence of ECM's failing would be about NIL I would say. Have you ever heard of one going bad? It is electronic, either it works or it doesn't.

Effects on cruise control? Yes there have been a couple that have reported on the fact that theres didn't. Has to do with whether you CC is manually or electronically controlled. My CC works just fine.

You have to understand, that except for the guinea pigs that Doug at ADT and Marco have supplied to here in the States (one of them being Hammer and another on Doug's personal truck) there are not that many here yet. Of the first batch of ten or so sent to Marco, I know where about 6 or 7 wound up. Four were right here in the Northwest (nwbombers.com) and I know all of the individuals personally. There are at least two more in the second batch in route also to Northwest guys and should be arriving as we speak.

HTH

Roger
Old 08-10-2004, 01:51 PM

I have a '98 12V and a '98.5 24V.

The '98 12V has a #4 plate, cut DV's, and has been tuned by Daves Diesel, with more fuel and a very high GSK. Also has "Sled Pulling Only" injectors. Smokes at idle... (See my photo gallery)

My 24V has Mach 4.8's, PDR Cam, PDR Head, FASS, and plenty more, and I would have to say my 24V is just as responsive as my 12V. At 3,000RPM it feels just like my 12V. Foot Down, and GO. If I am idling, and go WOT, it will pour smoke just like a 12V with the plate slid full forwards, and AFC removed.

It's not hard to drive without smoke (It does take getting used to)
No longer can you "put your foot down, and wait for the turbo to spool without leaving a fairly large cloud of smoke. You have to "Roll" your foot into the fuel. Anybody that has driven a "hot" 12V knows exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm waiting on some more parts from J.R. to finish the twins, and then I can jump on the dyno and let yall no what baseline is (Lowest HP), then with a COMP, then with just the CaTCher ECM, then ECM and COMP. (Maybe Nitrous? )

It's an EASY install also. Three 10mm bolts, and I think a 8 or 9 MM allen wrench. No splicing, no "learning curve" just true Plug and Play.

As far as the Catcher failing. It is just as prone to failing as the O.E. ECM. That's darn near Zero. If your ECM fails, modified, or not, you are going to need a tow.

Cruise Control... Hit and miss. Some trucks surge incredibly, some it doesn't even work. There are easy ways to get around the surging (Simple clamp type mod).
It seems the "Electronic" CC's no longer work, but the "Mechanical" CC's continue to work after the modified ECM.

I wish I had more "hands on" experiance, but my truck is down so often lately, I haven't been able to get much wheel time at all.

Thanks,
Merrick
Old 08-10-2004, 03:12 PM

By the way I tested this ECM way back in Febuary if anyone remembers. Not to many people were very excited about it then but it seems like things have changed. I also did some comprehensive dyno testing also. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.... here is the old thread
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=39077
Old 08-10-2004, 03:38 PM

I think I may have been confused. I said that Hammer has tested the ECM when in fact I meant to say Battering Ram. Sorry Horrace. Anyhow, for me it was a no-brainer. Not that I always use my brains correctly, but you know.

I first saw a truck with a modified ECM in it about 2-1/2 years ago at a Dyno event. With a stock turbo, DD2's, TST box and a modified ECM it turned 443rwhp. I wouldn't have believed had I not seen it. BTW, that person still posts of various sites but no longer lives in the NW. You know who you are.

Then Horrace writes about the CaTCHER. Then Bob Wagner (from the NW) gets one of the first "production" units. He then lets 3 or 4 more of the NWBombers drive his truck, one being a ASE certified mechanic who just happens to work at a light diesel performance shop in Monroe, WA. Add all of that up and the fact that I sometimes like to be on the cutting edge and here I am reporting on the CaTCHER and couldn't be happier.

Roger
Old 08-10-2004, 06:01 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Thanks guys for updating us on this thing, some good info here.

Quick Reply: M.a.d. Ecm