Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Lukes link--track bar woes

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 09:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lukes link--track bar woes

I hate the steering wander and play in the steering wheel...whats the most efficeint way to help this issue. Luke's Link...or the steering stabilizer kit that bolts to the frame and steering box?

ive noticed i have about 1/8 of a turn of play in the steering wheel when driving at 65 mph and i cam constantly fighting the wheel...but the truck still drives straight, the wheel just has so much play...also notice that its very difficult to turn the wheel when sitting still. Is this just because of the weight on the front tires....or could i have a power steering issue as well?

thanks in advance for the help!
Old 05-06-2005, 10:03 AM

Get under the truck and have someone rock the wheel back and forth....you need to know exactly where the movement is before you can fix it. No sense in throwing parts at it....
Old 05-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
getblown5.9:

"Cowhand" is giving you some good advice on checking the ENTIRE front end before throwing parts on the truck! When I got to point you are on my 1996 Dodge CTD, I ended up having to replace ball joints, upper and lower control arms and the steering shaft! But, I can tell you that the DSS Stabilzer Bar works GREAT and definitely made a BIG difference in my truck! I also installed a "Lukes Link" and it stiffened up the steering feel alot. I did this all at once and my "wander" is completely gone. However, I have a friend who just installed a DSS on his 2002 Dodge CTD at about 50,000 miles and he said it completely took care of the "wander" he was beginning to have.

----------
John_P
Old 05-06-2005, 11:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, since these trucks are known for weakness in the trackbars, steering shafts, ball joints, etc. you need to follow Cowhand's advice and SEE WHAT'S WRONG.

It may be track bar play (at the frame), or steering shaft play.

Heck, it may even be your steering box. If it IS the box, try www.pscpowersteer.com

jlh
Old 05-06-2005, 11:25 AM

I used to have HORRIBLE steering on my 98.
I've installed a: Luke's Link, Borgeson steering shaft, AGR steering box and will be installing a DSS steering stabilizer when my hardware kit comes in.

The steering is MUCH improved but I'm looking forward to seeing how the DSS will do.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:24 PM

Dealer replaced my track bar and intermediate steering shaft under warnnity. Then I added a DSS steering stabilizer. Last year the second OEM track bar was shot and I installed a DSS 3rd Gen track bar conversion. Now, for the first time ever, I can let go of the wheel and the truck will track straight. Even after adding the KORE "lift kit" the truck still tracks 100% true.

IMO, If you need a new track bar the 3rd Gen. conversion is the only way to go.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:56 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Dr.Kayak
.....IMO, If you need a new track bar the 3rd Gen. conversion is the only way to go.

Yup, me too. It would be the last time you have to look at the track bar.

J-eh
Old 05-06-2005, 09:30 PM

Oh, yeah DSS and track bar kit is sweet Just got them put on my truck today, it's like a whole new truck
Old 05-07-2005, 04:17 AM

Frankly, everything under my front end had slop at 20K miles. Nothing worn out, just getting there faster than I wanted to see.

So I put on the following:

Borgson intermediate steering shaft
DSS
'03 trackbar with Solid Steel bracket
dual steering stabilizers
quad shocks with KYB Monomax's
D25 springs
Michelin 265's

corners better than my old 'Vette. I'm almost not kidding.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:15 PM

Where can you find DSS products?

I can't seem to find them or just not seeing what I'm looking at .

: Eddie :
Old 05-07-2005, 08:29 PM

www.solidsteel.ca

Piers and a number of other vendors carry them.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Banned

well...i am gonna look at getting an adjustable 3rd gen style track bar because all my steering slop seems to be in the tie-rod end of the track bar.

this is where i need to decide if I get the regular 3rd gen style...or if I go with the more expensive adjustable type
Old 05-09-2005, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by getblown5.9
well...i am gonna look at getting an adjustable 3rd gen style track bar because all my steering slop seems to be in the tie-rod end of the track bar.

this is where i need to decide if I get the regular 3rd gen style...or if I go with the more expensive adjustable type
I've beat this point 'til I'm blue in the face, but some guys just won't listen. Gonna be a lot of unhappy folks around here when those 03 track bars start going bad, and they will...

You're much better off going with this...http://thurenfabrication.com/stocktb.html
Way beefier, rebuildable, and cheaper than the 03 conversion. Don's been getting 5-10 calls a week from guys wanting a replacement for their 03+ track bar....
Old 05-09-2005, 10:03 AM

Will these products work with a four inch lift on your truck. Mostly the track bar conversion?
Old 05-09-2005, 03:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Cowhand
You're much better off going with this...http://thurenfabrication.com/stocktb.html
Don's been getting 5-10 calls a week from guys wanting a replacement for their 03+ track bar....
You may be right...will have to wait & see. I have a friend with 80,000+ miles on his 03 and no problems yet....all hwy miles.
The Thuren link you offer has no contact info...for anyone that might be interested!

RJ

Quick Reply: Lukes link--track bar woes