Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Luk Gold

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Luk Gold

Southbend.....I've heard has great clutches....have stated HP and Torque ratings.

ValAir.......good clutches, decent pricing, have stated HP and Torque ratings.

BUT.......Luk Gold has no such statements.

How does LUK compair to other "performance" clutches and are they capable to holding 500 HP? There's a shop nearby that will install any clutch for $475. They have the LUK intalled for $975. I think I'll come out better with a ValAir clutch vs. the LUK, but I have to order it. Discount Transmissions have the LUK in stock and claim they have installed them on numerous bombed Cummins and Blue Ovals with good outcome.

What's the opinion on the street?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:01 AM

I've never had any experience w/ LuK Pro-Gold.
We sell them to my girlfriends dads company for their fleet of Ford 6.0s.
They probilly carry atleat 2,500-3000# on the bed in weight, plus the beaver-tail trailers they hook up to once in awhile. And they all have programmers jumped to the max.

I run a LuK Cerametallic Disc in mine and I love it.
The Cerametallic Disc is NOT a slipping clutch. It is not a pulling clutch either (hence I stated it is not a slipping clutch.).

I've been running it for acouple months now and we've installed them in numerious trucks all with happy feed-back, besides the group of pullers who thought it was a double disk with a high load pressure plate that they could slip the whole way to the end. Even then with the clutch removed it did not remove any material from the clutch hardly, just grooved the flywheel.

I run the 13" clutch too.

If the shop that stocks LuK Clutches he should be able to get the LuK 13" Flywheel upgrade which offers the spacer and the longer bolts for the starter that is needed FYI!
Old 02-02-2008, 08:57 AM

What do you mean by a slipping clutch? I'm not familiar with terminology. I don't pull anything, as of yet. I'm looking into a race car, and will be needing to get a trailer after the motor and tranny are in the car. I don't think it'll weigh a whole lot as the car I'm looking at has a NHRA certified tube chassis and has been set up to drag. Fox body mustangs are fairly light as it is.....
Old 02-02-2008, 09:10 AM

I mean it is not setup like the south-bends.
If you where to hook to a sled with this clutch, there is not slipping the clutch to build boost and get the tires rolling.. Its basically you let it out and hope the tires grab, or you have enough numbers to pull it.

You can not go out and feather the clutch the whole way down the pulling lane, as it will just get to hot and slip the whole way.

As I said, I am not positive how the pro-golds work but the company my girlfriends dad works for are pleased w/ the Pro-Golds in their strokers, and they weigh heavy and get abused thoroughly.

I'm pretty positive if you purchase a clutch through Autozone they can back it lifetime, where-as independant dealers (most anyways) can only offer 12months..

So I would check w/ the garage.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:34 AM

ok...thanks for the info. I'll look into it further.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:28 AM

I have the pro-gold and I love this clutch. It will not slip and I have done a few mild booted launches in third. One day it was a bit stinky, but the next day I went to work and it was fine. I dont know how much power it will hold, but I really abuse this truck. What kinda power are you building for and what use? I am going for the 400-500 horse range and I think this clutch will hold right up there. Then Ive got a 6 speed out of an fl-80(i think) a 5 ton frieghtliner
Old 02-02-2008, 10:41 AM

Just building it for the heck of it. I just can't stand a truck that won't get out of it's own way. I want to reap the benifits of the TST I have in it now. Daily driver, with benifits. Autozone has it for $350. I haven't called the garage yet, but will later today.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:45 AM

So you want the same as me then pretty well. I just want a fast loud daily driver that can beat the next dailly driver hands down and maybe the odd person who thinks they have a race car. For the money Im happy with this clutch. I think it came out to about $1200 all taxes and everything