Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

lucas tranny additive is so thick!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lucas tranny additive is so thick!!

hey i went ahead and bought that tranny additive from lucas that will do all the fun things that it advertises..like stopping leaks etc....well i drained my fluid ...i was ready to put it in there and the additive is very very thick!...moves very very slowly....so i didnt add it and just did my regular fluid change? does anyone know anyhting about this?....are they all thick and very viscous like this? or did i get some crap thats been sitting on a shelf for 2 years
Old 01-28-2006, 03:50 PM
JKM

That's just how lucas is , worse than molassis isn't it? FWIW , i wouldn't use it in my tranny , seeing how thick it is , i don't want that in there on a cold morning. Just use your regular fluid and your tranny will be happy, the fluid already has all the required additives in it.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Banned

I put 2 of'em in mine works great, plus your talkin about addin to an already 18-24 quarts of ATF it ain't gonna make it all thick. The reason why I use 2 is due to a tranny line that popped off twice in the past had lots and lots of chunky metal and metallic fluid bad deal. The Lucas really helps out
Old 01-28-2006, 09:43 PM

i like the lucas stuff- put it in the wifes 95 LHS when the tranny was acting up (231K on it). dropped the pan, put on a new filter and haven't had a problem since.(253K)
Old 01-28-2006, 10:09 PM

Why do ya think it helps to stop leaks? Raises the viscosity so that the oil can't seep through..
Old 01-29-2006, 02:25 AM

thanx guys...glad to hear i don't have a bad bottle...believe it or not thats the original tranny i got in there...i get paranoid about the tranny with my mileage
Old 01-29-2006, 07:40 AM
JKM

I still wouldn't put that stuff in my tranny (especially now that i have a tranny that costs half as much as my truck did...) if you paid me to, I will admit that a week before i pulled the tranny out for a rebuild i dumped some lucas in , and it did not make one ounce of difference. The only reason i tried it was curiousity.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:47 AM

In my situation I was facing junking the car or putting in a $10 bottle of additive and seeing what happens... easy choice for me.Now not to say that the old fluid/filter wasn't some to blame,but I am pleased with the results. It will not fix a bad bearing or other seriuos damage, but it does help with minor wear and seal leaks.once it is mixed with your tranny fluid, it wont be so thick. it will however stick to all your parts in there,preventing"dry starts",so to speak. my .02
Old 01-29-2006, 10:28 AM

I have a 87 Dakota 4X4 with 300,000+ and the tranny was slipping a bit. I add the lucas it stopped the tranny leak and started shifting better. The transfer case was making noise also so I refilled it with straight Lucas, sure made it quieter. The only side effect, the transfer case shifts a little stiff in the winter now.

So yes I would use it again.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:37 AM

Most of the Lucas stuff is pretty good. Used the powersteering stop leak in an old Toyota. Had to rev the engine just to get the powersteering to work. I guess the thickness makes up for worn parts, and now it works fine.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Lucas stuff your talking about is not much more than a Friction Modifier (very thick). It does have a seal swellant additive that will reduce or eliminate minor seal leaks. It's the same product they sell to truckers as an engine oil additive.

They recommend to truckers replacing 20% of the crankcase oil... which, IMO, is way too much! I don't know what amount they recommend in trannys... but adding one oz. per qt. won't do any harm. I would add it to a warm tranny and keep it running for 10 min or so, to mix it in well.

Not needed in a well maintained tranny, IMO, but it will "tighten up" a warn tranny... especially in Dodge trannys that call for lots or friction Modifier anyway, it won't hurt anything.

RJ
Old 01-30-2006, 08:23 AM

I use allot of the Lucas products. I either sit the bottle in the sun or set it in a sink of hot water and helps to get it to flow better.
Old 01-30-2006, 01:42 PM

I have used "TOW KOOL" transmission additive made by CRC in my previous 2001 2500 360 gasser 4x4. I towed a trailer that was about 300# over the recommended limit of the truck through the mountains, and had no transmission issues. I plan on adding it to the 47RE behind the Cummins too after I get it serviced. I was also shocked when I tried to "pour" that thick stuff out. The TOW KOOL is the same. Comes out as thick as snot, but it worked well, at least I had no issues with it.

Here's a link:
http://www.crc-canada.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=145
Old 01-30-2006, 03:30 PM

Mine was slipping after mods so I got the valve body and put it in along with two bottles of Lucas Tranny Fix. Tranny was good for about two weeks then started slipping again. Checked the level and it was low so I added two more bottles of Lucas Tranny Fix and no problems. Maybe excessive but its holding together just fine. If I had a $3500 tranny I probably wouldnt use it in that one, but this stocker has got to last as long as possible.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:38 PM

good to know that it's supposed to be thick...i'll prolly put the bottle in some hot water to get it to pour...because otherwise it will take a couple hours for it to make its way down to the tranny through the filler (seriously)....still got the bottle....i'll add it during the next tranny fluid change in spring

Quick Reply: lucas tranny additive is so thick!!