Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Looking for turbo-'s again

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for turbo-'s again

I had the money earlier this year but things came up before I pulled the tigger on buying some then one then none. Some times life throws the dambed things at you when you have money. I know I run alot of fuel now with a stock turbo and have been for some time now. I think its getting ready to go and of course I don't have enough saved up right now to go ahead and buy a twin kit. So that means i'm gonna have to get a single kit that can be upgraded to a twin (like bd's stuff). I was looking at bd super single special but didn't see a upgrade kit for that one only the super single. Does anybody know if it upgradeable to there twin kit? Or could you recommend something else.TIA Ken
Old 09-12-2008, 03:23 PM

Wow no responces. Guess you'll are tried of "which turbo" threads. I've searched but didn't find the answer I was looking for thats all.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:47 AM
The Guru

That turbo is a good choice if you want to run BD twins. If you want to run someone else, you might want to contact them and they can sell you the top turbo. Remember that it will be sightly smaller than what you really want to run for just a single turbo, but when you add the primary turbo, it will fix it. You will also have to adjust the wastegate some. Some shops will sell you a turbo that will work well now (S300 works nice) and you can send it back in and they could adjust the set-up for twins. Look around, there are lots of shops that will do this, not just BD. A S300 on top of a S400 is a nice set-up and tons of shops build that set-up. BD is based upon the S300 on top of a S300. That works, but if you want to jam in tons of fuel (600+), they might not have enough air to support it.
Old 09-14-2008, 02:37 PM

I'd say contact a BD dealer and ask them directly, that way you won't get any misinformation. You could also look into something like a 62/65/12 now, and then put a S400 under at a later date. That turbo should spool fairly well, and it gives the truck a nice kick in the pants.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:14 PM

Its not really tough to discern between the BD line. There's the 57 mm super b which is a little bigger than stock that works with the upgrade kit. There's the 64 mm single which would qualify as a big single and would be bigger than needed for a twinset. The 62 Tate recommends availible from a number of vendors is somewhere in between as far as compressor sizes go, but he's also recommending the smaller housing for quick initial spoolup.

I'm running a 62 compressor with a 71 turbine and a 14 housing. Its a pretty good compromise between performance and manners. Just know that the bigger you go on a single the more hell you have to give it to get things going. The smaller you go the harder it is to get the heat out.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:44 PM

Ph4tty, how does that turbo do towing with the smarty? does the smarty help the turbo spool in the lower rpms?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:13 PM

BD is in to the progress of making a twins upgrade for the Special turbo soon, I THINK. Cause that is what I am waiting for in the future.

Trending Topics

Old 09-16-2008, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Moules
Ph4tty, how does that turbo do towing with the smarty? does the smarty help the turbo spool in the lower rpms?
I haven't found anything to pull since I've put this turbo on, but I'm sure it'd be fine with rpms 2000 or above. Unfortunately my experience is that the smarty doesn't help spool start at a lower rpms, but may help build more boost once the boost threshhold has been crossed.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:04 AM
RCW

Sizing a turbo is a matter of finding a balance between your driving and engine loading, fueling rate, exhaust outflow, and where you want your power to kick in.

What you need to do is sit down with a good diesel performance shop and tell them exactly what you have on the truck today, how you drive, the purpose of the truck, and your expectations. They will break out a table of flow rates, fueling rates, measure your exhaust and intake systems, and do a few calculations to get you a balanced system. To try to select any form of turbo package any other way is simply guessing, and at a minimum of two grand a package,sans labor and tuning, for a good turbo and exhaust manifold it is an expensive guess.