Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Looking for some chrome or aluminum dually wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2003, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some chrome or aluminum dually wheels

Looking for a set (6 that is) of chrome or aluminum wheels for my truck. Want to stay with my current tire size...so no 19" wheels. Any suggestions on a good place to buy new or used?

Currently I have the steels wheels with the plastic chrome looking wheels covers that everyone likes to steal.

Thanks...
Old 09-25-2003, 01:16 PM

Re:Looking for some chrome or aluminum dually wheels

I have american eagle's on my 02 3500 same truck as you so no fitting issues. http://public.aci.on.ca/~com222/forum/myram1.jpg

Click the link for a pic of the rims installed on my truck.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:20 PM
Banned

I to am going to purchase some new wheels for my 97' dualley. I am going to get the ALCOA's, they are a forged alm wheel, not cast like others. They have been around for ever, and do sell several types, I think I like the LST. They are a bit pricey, but they are very nice, strong, true alm wheels. The best price I have found was at southwestern wheel. Most people only run 4 alm wheels, they are thicker then the steel ones and the studs would have to be replaced with different ones.
Old 09-25-2003, 03:53 PM

I see most companies only sell 4 dually wheels. What about the extra 2 wheels? Do you keep the steel wheels on the rear inside, and keep the new ones on front and outside rear? Could you get all six (new wheels) or would there be a problem when you mounted them? Trying to figure this out. :-
Thanks...
Old 09-25-2003, 08:18 PM
Banned

Usually people get just the 4, two front and two rear. The alm rims are much thicker then the steel ones, so two alm wheels will not fit in the back with the stock length studs. You could run 6 if you got longer studs. Most don't, probaly cause it saves 300-400 bucks, and no one can see them anyway. Then you purchase the rims,you will get two front (polished on the outsides), and two rears (polished on the insides), plus caps , nuts, covers.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:14 AM

Y-Knot, thanks for the info. Question: what do you do when you rotate the tires? Do you have to have everything dis-mounted, and remounted?
Old 09-26-2003, 03:38 PM

if anyone is getting rid of their dually wheels with or without the simulators let me know and pm me. i need an extra set.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Banned

No, if you go with the 4 alcoa's, you would swap the left and right inner tires, swap the left and right rear outer tires. Then on the front just swap the left for the right. simple???
Old 09-27-2003, 07:17 PM

Whoops, I should have finished. The only thing is that I have directional mud terrain tires...so the left need to stay on the left and the right on the the right. Thoughts? I did find some Alcoa's new (set of four) for $625. Good price???
Old 09-28-2003, 06:58 PM

My wheels are Eagle Alloys and are polished all the way around and usable for front or rear. I am having them re-polished for a higher shine and then powder coated clear.
Bruce
Old 09-28-2003, 08:19 PM

Bruce, you hit the nail on the head. I found out I can get a set of rims polishd inside and outside...and he would throw in two extra rims at a fair price. Now just have to figure out the deal with the extra long wheel studs. Thanks again guys!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 07:58 AM
Banned

You will regret getting the aluminum wheels powder coated. Been there and done that one, big mistake the clear gets a brown tint to it, and starts to come off. Then you are stuck and can not polish the wheels, and have to look at the dingy dull peeling wheels. No thanks, I will keep mine uncoated, and then just tidy them up every once and awhile with a good buffing wheel and some polish. I have about 6 sets of aluminum wheels in have to mantain, and it really isn't a big job, and they look killer after a good buff.
Old 09-29-2003, 02:26 PM

Y-knot, any suggestions on wheels? I found a set of Alcoa's but have no clue if they are powder coated or anything. Any way to tell or find out? Thanks...