Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Looking for input on chip/module

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for input on chip/module

I am getting ready to invest in either a perfomance module or a flash tuner. I want to be able to change my tire size( running 315's) and would love to be able to alter my shift points. Am I better off going to the dealership and having them reprogram for tire size and going with a m odule like the juice system or flash tuning??? any help is appreciated.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:50 PM

Try the Smarty. Ive got one on my 98.5 and its nice. I used to have a VA timing box on it, so I tried the smarty with its programs and no timing. I then took the VA box off and used the smarty timing program - made a considerable difference at all power levels. I was surprised the diff the timing made for me. First time I was able to recalibrate my tire size correctly as well. I think the smarty goes up to 37" tires, where the stock program will only go to 33" IIRC.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:06 PM

Honestly unless your switchin tires sizes on a regular basis I personally don't think its worth it to pay any extra for a programmer/module that allows you to recalibrate... its cheap enough IMO to have your dealer do it.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't waste your money on a smarty, get an XZT+ best bang for your buck hands down!
Old 09-13-2007, 02:02 PM

I wouldnt waste my money on a XZT+. It is cheap horsepower but not very good enginnering. I had 3 on my truck, 1st did not work when I got it, 2nd quit working after a month of use, 3rd auctually caught on fire under my dash and did minor damage. I now have a TST comp pm3 and love it. The cummins has enough low end torque I would not worry about the tire size.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:50 PM

get a box with fuel and timing. go with a name brand you trust and have heard good things about. How much power are you wanting? with a programer type the most your gonna get is about 65 horse, you can change stock tire size settings but unfortunatly on our trucks you cant change the tranny shift points with a programer. i have the juice with attitude on my truck and love it i have the hot unlock code too its great. it monitors anything you want, and you can also set your tire size so it shows the correct speed. Unfortunatly i might be sellin my truck so pm me if your interested in mine, its an 01 too so it would go right on
Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by bwarning01
I wouldnt waste my money on a XZT+. It is cheap horsepower but not very good enginnering. I had 3 on my truck, 1st did not work when I got it, 2nd quit working after a month of use, 3rd auctually caught on fire under my dash and did minor damage. I now have a TST comp pm3 and love it. The cummins has enough low end torque I would not worry about the tire size.
First off you need to know what you are talking about.

The XZT+ does not tap any wires and is totally different than what you talked about.

Second, I have seen a couple of resistors burned up and we do not know if they were fault or if there was a connection issue or something else? I will give you that.

I have intentionally shorted them out and burned them up and they do not catch fire!!!! It is not possible for them to burn. They can get hot, melt the protective sleeve they are in but, they cannot burn.

The XZT+ and the box you had are totally different animals.

Trending Topics

Old 09-13-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quad knows his stuff, he has developed a lot of products for these cummins powered trucks. 300 bucks, you can't go wrong with the XZT+, no other chip, box or downloader can deliver the same smooth power, the same peak gains or truck specific adjustability via download as the XZT+ in that same price range.