Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Looking to do some mild mods on 96 cummins

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 10:42 AM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to do some mild mods on 96 cummins

If I were to do only one thing or a few small things for a mild torque/hp increase what would those be?
I'm running a 3/4ton with an auto tranny. It is bone stock with the exception of adjusting the star wheel for low end. I get a very small puff of black smoke if I step on the throttle from a standing start.
The truck pulls great with the exception of hills. It falls on it's face when trying to pull any hill while hauling a large camp trailer.
Also there may be a shifting problem with my tranny.
When pulling in OD it pulls fine as long as I can keep it above 70 mph. When it drops below that the engine starts lugging fast and will not kick out of OD until I'm below 55mph. If I leave it out of OD it seems to stay in passing gear the whole time and has no power at all above 60mph.
So do I need to adjust the TPS to get the tranny to drop a gear when needed and is the governer holding me back?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:55 AM

first of all we know you have a auto 2500. but what year? and not that it matters much but is it 4x4? I dont follow autos much but a valve body probably wouldnt hurt, intake, exhaust and if its a 12valve a #11 fuel plate. You'd probably be pretty happy wtih the results. Also if its a 12valve a gov spring kit might help if your running high rpms. they start to defule around 2700-2800rpm. a gsk will give you full fuel through 3000 or 4000 depending on what kit you get. I suggest if you want one and only want mild power for driving like a normal human get the 3000k kit. You can see from my sig i pretty much have all that stuff. It runs very strong compaird to stock.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:44 PM

It's a 96 2WD 12 valve.
Ok so who should I get the #11 fuel plate and GSK from?
What is the difficulty level of installation of each.
I'm fairly mechanically inclined but I just haven't been into a diesel at this point.
Thanks
Old 09-07-2004, 04:21 PM

I would strongly suggest that you start saving your pennies for a tranny. You and I have the same truck. I put a Goerends tranny in and there is a differance you would not believe. For a fuel plate, you can check the links page and get a list of vendors.
BTW, I can start out from a dead stop pulling my 26' fiver (about 15,500 CGVW) get 60 mph within 1/2 mile going UP a 6% grade.
Tom
P.S. I forgot to ask, has your timing been checked? Have you taken care of your KDP yet?
Old 09-07-2004, 04:25 PM

I got my fuel plate and GSK from piers diesel research. I think the gsk is "his kit" but either way I think its not to bad and the instructions werent bad either. the fuel plate I also got from him because at the time (and hopefully still) he has a "free" trade in deal on plates if you buy one from him. Lets say like me you bought a #12 but when you get a clutch/tranny you want a #10. I call him give him a $50 deposit and he sends me the number #10 I swap out the plates send the 12# back get my 50$ back and just pay for shipping each way. I dont know if anyone else does something like that but I like the idea so im not stuck with it if I get bitten by the hp bug. None of it was to hard to do. Did it all in my back yard under a tree for some shade in a few hours. If you goto do it PM me and I can explain in more detail how I went about it all.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:37 PM

I have not checked the timing yet nor have I taken care of the KDP. I know I need to do the KDP I just haven't gotten around to finding a jig and doing it.
How do I go about checking and adjusting the timing?
Old 09-07-2004, 06:17 PM

The only way I know to check the timing is to take it to Cummins. BUT, Does your truck smoke a lot when you first start it up? I mean an eye burning type of smoke. Does it run rough when it is cold? When your truck is next to another 12v does yours seem to be quiet? If you answered yes, then I would suspect the timing slipped. This is a common problem with the 12v trucks. Look here for more info: http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/FAQ/timing.htm
Tom

Trending Topics

Old 09-07-2004, 06:56 PM

I read how to do it once. I dont remember it being anything impossable. Pain in the butt im sure but im also really lazy.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:15 PM

Ok I've been told by various people that changing out the fuel plate will require gauges and a tranny upgrade sooner than later. The gauges I can handle but the tranny is a lot more than I was wanting to spend (Yes I am VERY cheap)
I'm trying to keep my costs down as much as possible but the tranny work may need to be done anyway if I'm going to continue pulling a 12' high 15K trailer.
Is anyone here using the Dawes Device hybrid boost controller?
http://www.dawesdevices.com/boost.html
Just wondering what that might do for me in conjunction with sliding my stock plate forward a little and installing a GSK?
Old 09-09-2004, 05:35 PM

Also is there a real power increase from the megacannon intake. I've seen some posts where people seem happier about the new sound that it makes as opposed to a power increase.
I don't want to do anything that will increase engine or exhaust noise unless it's going to give me more power/torque.
I would prefer a completely silent vehicle if I could still get plenty of push.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran a #8 plate with a 3K GSK for 2 years on a stock tranny with no problem. It's when I went to 215 injectors and loaded the truck up that my tranny went. The #10 plate will be easier on your tranny than a #8 as long as you dson't get too crazy with sliding it. You can also play with the gov lever adjustment to get the power coming on later (around 1800RPM) when your tranny line pressures are up a bit. The 10 plates a super tunable.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:59 PM

So how long would anyone recomend pushing 3K while towing using a #10 or a stock plate? It just bothers me to push my tach up to those red marks.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That engine will run forever at 3K, I put a number 6 plate in my dad's 1996 auto equipped 3500, and he can slip the convertor at will, we put the 4" exhaust, the intake, and the AFc spring kit, a turbo-master, along with some tranny mods. His truck is a beast!!Tows a 17,500 boat and trailer and this truck will maintain 70 MPH up ANY hill, at least east of the Mississippi!! BUT he has to monitor the EGT's when towing that heavy, has seen 1500 degrees, not good, but with some foot control the EGT's are very easy to control!!
Old 09-27-2004, 03:23 PM

if you are on the west side of the metroplex, you need to come by and see me. a #10 fuel plate and a 3gsk will make you very happy. you might want to bump your line pressure on your tranny. and just block off your waste gate, no reason to wast money on making it adjustable.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:46 PM

I just talked to Mac at Mac's RV in FW. He suggests a BD pressure lock, 4" exhaust, #10 fuel plate and gauges.
He didn't think that I should mess with the 3K spring kit??
I'm actually 30 miles south east of FW and 30 miles south west of Dallas.

Quick Reply: Looking to do some mild mods on 96 cummins